Equin Village (DEMO)
Author:|| Del Duio
Submitted:|| 2nd May, 2006
Genre:|| Role Playing Game
Edited By Del Duio on 8/27/2006
Hello, this is by far the most time-consuming and ultimately rewarding game I've ever made. It is the second in my Equin trilogy, and the best one. The game and its components were programmed in Visual Basic 6, so I'm not sure how well it will be received here at TDC, but I've seen some other games not done with Klik products here so I'll take a shot. Equin Village is completely different than the other two games in the trilogy (that were more action-oriented) and is a large non-linear old-school flavor RPG. It features sporadic story cutscenes and original everything. I'm very proud of the story, characters and its "big twist". The demo is very big and allows players to explore about 70-80% of the world upon best guess. The full version is also available on the DXF Games website for $5 US. At any rate, the demo is free, so here it is for the good gamers at The Daily Click!
* Six playable characters, each with their own skills & stats, selectable at any time during the game.
* Each character can have 6 items equipped at any time, plus a backpack that can hold 24 more items.
* One save game file.
* Random encounters with enemies using a turn-based combat system.
* Gain quests and information by talking other people, including your other guys!
* Adventure for 30 days.. and nights.
* Rent a boat to travel to distant islands and explore the world!
* The ability to build your own house on a variety of different possible spots throughout the world.
* Many hidden areas and secret walls.
* Over 100 unique and powerful items, weapons, and armor.
* An endless possibility of randomized items dropped from your enemies in addition to the unique items.
* Many different types of monsters, including ones that only appear at certain times of the day and boss monsters.
* Collect body parts from fallen monsters and take them to the blacksmith to create new items for you- for a fee.
* Save your coins up to buy stuff from merchants and doctors, but their shops might be closed at night.
* You have the ability to instantly turn any extra items into cash to make room in your inventory.
* Gamble your spare coins at the Boogoo Parlor and win and ton, if you're lucky enough.
* Items can have tons of different powers- from poison protection to freezing the enemy.
* Huge overworld to explore (40,000+ tiles) featuring a vast ocean, forests, a desert, and an ice island.
* Temporarily boost your stats with numerous potions found throughout the land.
* Test your skills in 'Hard Mode' and get better weapons and armor only found in this mode.
Although each hunter has their own pros and cons, you can further customize them upon level up! Each level up gets you at least 5 bonus points to distribute as you see fit. Want Rol (the thief) to be a tank? Pump his defense stat! In addition, rare equipment can add to your bonus point totals!
When you talk to people, they might give you an item. If that happens, talk to them again for an additional message!
About Healing: Your hunters will naturally heal themselves while standing in the main tavern (+5 life / cycle) or when you build your own house (+10 life / cycle). As an added bonus, just walking into either one cures you of poisoning. Any lady doctor will sell potions to help you, and most shops sell some sort of healing potion too. Plus, if you find any wild mushrooms the blacksmith can make you potions with them. (He's REALLY talented) In addition, save and load points are located in both of these.
You can load up on extra items and return to the tavern to distribute them to your other hunters. Just remember that most items have a minimum level to use them, so be sure to keep your hunters' levels up when you can!
Time progression: Time marches in real-time for our heroes, transitioning from day to night and back again. There are a few ways to "pause" time, however. By double clicking on your hero, you will enter the sub-screen / inventory. Time will pause here and won't start again until you exit, which is done by double clicking on your hunter at the top of the screen. While purchasing supplies, if you can see the shopkeeper's item selection menu on the left-hand side, time is again paused. Plus, while in combat mode time is paused. If you happen upon an item that bestows the "TIME PASSES SLOWLY" stat, your days and nights will double in length as well.
If you die, you are DEAD FOREVER! (Their gravestones appear outside the tavern as a reminder to be careful). To help with this, you can purchase warp crosses from any of the Lady Doctors, as well as some other shops. You can use these to return to the Tavern at any time (except while in battle). If you build a house, you will also have the chance to buy home crosses to return to your house!
Poison stacks, baby! You can pimp out your hunter with a ton of gear with the Chance to Poison stat to make him (or her) extra deadly!
I suggest you always carry at least one antidote potion on you at all times. Dying by poison sucks, but the good news is that if your life is high enough, it eventually wears off.
Most chests have traps on them. In order to open one, you're going to need to have anything higher than zero for your Lockpick stat. This can be accomplished by equipping a key or lockpick in your primary (weapon) hand and then clicking on the treasure chest. Failure often results in trap damage or even poisoning! Don't worry though, I made it so it's impossible to die from one directly.
You can travel freely anywhere you wish, but you'll quickly get pwned the further away from the village you go. More enemies will attack you during the night and may ambush you as well. And be VERY wary of bears when your hunters are low levels! They have the Violent Hit stat, and can quickly turn you into mush if you're unprepared!
Please read the instructional text file to get the most out of the game, as it has just about everything you'll need!
P.S: I'm very interested in player feedback from the game, as well as any of the cool items you get. I can still play this years later and find items I've never had before.
I know this probably can't be included for GOTW or front pagerized, but as long as people can enjoy it now (after 3+ years!) I'll be happy!
EDIT: If you want a lot more information about the game, I have a homepage set up for it that's attached to the DXF Games website. Here's the link:
EDIT #2: I was playing through it again last night and found some amazing boots, so I got an idea which might be fun. I'm going to be having a "featured item" section at the end of the items page on the Equin Village homepage that anyone can send in a screenshot of their cool item and have it featured on my website. I've seen people do this before with Diablo 2 items and it's pretty fun to see what others are getting in their games.
Review This Download
http://del_duio.sitesled.com/COTG Screenies/EQV/Equin Village DEMO.zip (7.14 mkb )
Is this worth a look? Let others know! Favourite