The Daily Click ::. Forums ::. Digital Works ::. Who owns a palette?
 


 

Posted By Message
This thread has been locked by an administrator

Xhunterko



Registered
  07/05/2003
Points
  1015

VIP MemberHas Donated, Thank You!Hasslevania 2!Pokemon Ball!
1st April, 2010 at 05:44:27 -

I lost the discussion.

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=10053.0

Whats your point of view?

I say that no one should give any one person credit for any one set of colors used.

They maintain that you should.

Why or why not?

 
All platforming problems can be mostly solved here:

http://www.clickteam.com/mbfiles2/277308-engine.zip
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/psywakd/platform.gam
www.zephni.com

These are very excellent examples by other people and are very informative.
Image

I work at the speed of "maybe".

Coming Soon: Diary Of An Indie Developer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaF6H9MrgH8

Twitter:
http://twitter.com/xhunterko

Scott S

Heavy Metal

Registered
  21/03/2008
Points
  51

Wii Owner
1st April, 2010 at 06:16:58 -

I personally don't agree with you. Yes, people don't own any one colour but people do spend time and effort into optimising said palette and disregarding that work is just wrong.

 
Rockin' it.

Silveraura

God's God

Registered
  08/08/2002
Points
  6747

Game of the Week WinnerKlikCast StarAlien In Training!VIP Member360 OwnerWii OwnerSonic SpeedThe Cake is a LieComputerChristmas Tree!
I am an April Fool
1st April, 2010 at 11:09:24 -

I think people should be far more concerned about their artwork instead of the palette used to make it. I don't think the discussion here though is whether or not someone owns that color or that section of the color wheel, I think it's a matter of someone claiming ownership of a combination of highly specific colors. A single color is not a palette, nor is a gradation of a single hue a palette.

With that said, I'm going to have to say that I half-heartedly disagree with someone claiming ownership of a specific palette but I'm not entirely sure why. I think it just puts a bad taste in my mouth for someone to say "Give me credit - " for picking out these pre-existing colors and proving that they look nice together.

I'd be interested in seeing how this takes off here though, since most of us aren't pixel artists the outcome might be a little less bias.

 
http://www.facebook.com/truediamondgame

Hayo

Stone Goose

Registered
  15/08/2002
Points
  6944

Game of the Week WinnerHas Donated, Thank You!VIP MemberGOTM 3RD PLACE! - APRIL 2009Weekly Picture Me This Round 27 Winner!Weekly Picture Me This Round 41 Winner!Weekly Picture Me This Round 45 Winner!
1st April, 2010 at 12:39:14 -

Making a proper palette takes ages, it took me 5 years to come up with one that is perfect for me. Just picking some pretty colours from other people is ok. Taking some dudes' personal palette is not, not without giving credit. It's the same as using an engine made by someone else and not giving credit.

Edited by Hayo

 
www.hayovanreek.nl

Sketchy

Cornwall UK

Registered
  06/11/2004
Points
  1965

VIP MemberWeekly Picture Me This Round 43 Winner!Weekly Picture Me This Round 47 WinnerPicture Me This Round 49 Winner!
1st April, 2010 at 13:14:57 -

Legally speaking, it's possible to trademark even just a single color.

Case in point:
http://www.tate.org.uk/servlet/ViewWork?cgroupid=999999961&workid=8143&tabview=text&texttype=10

Personally, I don't think it should be possible to legally protect a palette (and certainly not a single color), but I do think you are morally obliged to give credit.

Edited by Sketchy

 
n/a

Xgoff



Registered
  22/02/2009
Points
  135
2nd April, 2010 at 05:01:28 -

if you can own a palette then somebody "owns" the palette of 4 colors: 255,0,0 0,255,0 0,0,255 and 0,0,0 that i see pixel art made with every once in a while without credit

related to that, if you "own" a palette you technically "own" any subset of those colors which may well be individual colors

i don't get the point of it

ip is such a shitty thing nowadays that you can't make anything without having to potentially credit somebody you don't even know for each little part of it. i actually kind of find it sad that someone may well sit at their computer with an eyedropper tool and a notepad to catch palette "thieves". it's about as dumb as claiming ownership over a one-line hello world program

i mean if someone did spend the time to put a palette together and you used that palette from that person, you should give them some credit. but actually demanding credit for a tiny set of colors (not made with the intention of representing a standalone piece of art in themselves) is pretty stupid

 
Image

Xhunterko



Registered
  07/05/2003
Points
  1015

VIP MemberHas Donated, Thank You!Hasslevania 2!Pokemon Ball!
2nd April, 2010 at 05:41:21 -

@Hayo and Xgoff: So, your basically saying that even though that they don't own those colors I still have to give them credit? Your both basically on the line of this argument:

I SPENT OVER x/15+ HOURS MAKING THOSE SPECIFIC COLORS!!!##@#!!! HOW DARE YOU JUST USE THEM WILLY NILLY!!!!! THOSE ARE MY COLORS!!! YOU CAN"T USE THEM FOR ANYTHING ELSE UNLESS YOU GIVE ME ME ME ME PART CREDIT!!!!! THOSE ARE MINE, MINE, I TELL YOU!!!!! MINE MINE MINE MINE!!!!!!!11111!!!

Which was basically theirs. No one owns one, color, or a set of colors. And to demand the part credit of something for any number of colors to me is just selfish in it's own right.

 
All platforming problems can be mostly solved here:

http://www.clickteam.com/mbfiles2/277308-engine.zip
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/psywakd/platform.gam
www.zephni.com

These are very excellent examples by other people and are very informative.
Image

I work at the speed of "maybe".

Coming Soon: Diary Of An Indie Developer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaF6H9MrgH8

Twitter:
http://twitter.com/xhunterko

Xgoff



Registered
  22/02/2009
Points
  135
2nd April, 2010 at 05:52:34 -


Originally Posted by Xhunterko
@Hayo and Xgoff: So, your basically saying that even though that they don't own those colors I still have to give them credit? Your both basically on the line of this argument:

I SPENT OVER x/15+ HOURS MAKING THOSE SPECIFIC COLORS!!!##@#!!! HOW DARE YOU JUST USE THEM WILLY NILLY!!!!! THOSE ARE MY COLORS!!! YOU CAN"T USE THEM FOR ANYTHING ELSE UNLESS YOU GIVE ME ME ME ME PART CREDIT!!!!! THOSE ARE MINE, MINE, I TELL YOU!!!!! MINE MINE MINE MINE!!!!!!!11111!!!

Which was basically theirs. No one owns one, color, or a set of colors. And to demand the part credit of something for any number of colors to me is just selfish in it's own right.


no, i'm saying you should think about a little mention it IF someone made a palette and you used that palette with the knowledge that person made it, but by no means should you be required or forced to. it would be pretty bad for someone to call you out because you "stole" a palette

one of the arguments of the side you mentioned is that "well, you own the EXACT colors in the palette". but there's nothing stopping me from taking a palette somebody else made, and changing all the rgb values by +-1 or 2. it's visually indistinguishable but since these are a different set of EXACT colors i apparently now "own" this palette. what took some guy 5 hours to set up took me 2 minutes to change, but it's not "his" palette because the colors are slightly off

in fact i'm more on your side than anything (but still close to the middle), but this doesn't really change the fact this is a huge gray area more than anything since you'd start having to draw arbitrary lines on what can and can't be considered credit-worthy

people should care less about the palette and more about the art being made with it

 
Image

Xhunterko



Registered
  07/05/2003
Points
  1015

VIP MemberHas Donated, Thank You!Hasslevania 2!Pokemon Ball!
2nd April, 2010 at 06:00:08 -

"people should care less about the palette and more about the art being made with it"

That's the argument that I tried to make as well. But oh no, they don't see it that way. It's someone owns a set of colors, and people MUST give credit no matter regardless of what's created with it. I was getting afraid that I would be disciplined or banned, since I wouldn't agree to the assumption that that person had part credit for the palette they used for anything made with it ad on infinitum. I started the same discussion on a revision3 forum. Lets see how far that gets me.

 
All platforming problems can be mostly solved here:

http://www.clickteam.com/mbfiles2/277308-engine.zip
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/psywakd/platform.gam
www.zephni.com

These are very excellent examples by other people and are very informative.
Image

I work at the speed of "maybe".

Coming Soon: Diary Of An Indie Developer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaF6H9MrgH8

Twitter:
http://twitter.com/xhunterko

Xgoff



Registered
  22/02/2009
Points
  135
2nd April, 2010 at 06:24:17 -


Originally Posted by Xhunterko
"people should care less about the palette and more about the art being made with it"

That's the argument that I tried to make as well. But oh no, they don't see it that way. It's someone owns a set of colors, and people MUST give credit no matter regardless of what's created with it. I was getting afraid that I would be disciplined or banned, since I wouldn't agree to the assumption that that person had part credit for the palette they used for anything made with it ad on infinitum. I started the same discussion on a revision3 forum. Lets see how far that gets me.


the problem is, when you get into personal works, a lot of people become hugely attached to them, no matter what they are

it's one thing to claim ownership for full-blown artistic work, but for fundamental things like palettes it's really better in the end to just let it go

 
Image

Silveraura

God's God

Registered
  08/08/2002
Points
  6747

Game of the Week WinnerKlikCast StarAlien In Training!VIP Member360 OwnerWii OwnerSonic SpeedThe Cake is a LieComputerChristmas Tree!
I am an April Fool
2nd April, 2010 at 10:49:34 -

I do recall talking about how some famous artists do have specific palettes in my color theory class. I did not know this prior, so I guess what it should come down to is, if you never knew that your palette was used by someone else, then by all means, to what obligation do you honestly have, to need to look it up to make sure you give appropriate credit. However if you directly mimic another artists palette, then as Sketchy said, I do believe morally that you should be owe the original author some credit. Do I think you should be allowed to ban people from using your colors? Absolutely not, but I do think you should ethically need to give credit where credit is due if you're fully aware of what you're doing. Really, it's only fair.

 
http://www.facebook.com/truediamondgame

Hayo

Stone Goose

Registered
  15/08/2002
Points
  6944

Game of the Week WinnerHas Donated, Thank You!VIP MemberGOTM 3RD PLACE! - APRIL 2009Weekly Picture Me This Round 27 Winner!Weekly Picture Me This Round 41 Winner!Weekly Picture Me This Round 45 Winner!
2nd April, 2010 at 12:55:19 -


Originally Posted by Xhunterko
@Hayo and Xgoff: So, your basically saying that even though that they don't own those colors I still have to give them credit? Your both basically on the line of this argument:

I SPENT OVER x/15+ HOURS MAKING THOSE SPECIFIC COLORS!!!##@#!!! HOW DARE YOU JUST USE THEM WILLY NILLY!!!!! THOSE ARE MY COLORS!!! YOU CAN"T USE THEM FOR ANYTHING ELSE UNLESS YOU GIVE ME ME ME ME PART CREDIT!!!!! THOSE ARE MINE, MINE, I TELL YOU!!!!! MINE MINE MINE MINE!!!!!!!11111!!!

Which was basically theirs. No one owns one, color, or a set of colors. And to demand the part credit of something for any number of colors to me is just selfish in it's own right.




Hey now, that's an odd way to put it dude, and I don't appreciate it.

I said making a good palette is work, just like making a piece of code or good graphics is work. I don't own the events and values in my code and I don't own the pixels in my graphics. I don't own the colours in my palette. But it took effort to make it and that makes using it without giving credit not cool. I don't even see how there can be a discussion about it. In my case I would be ok with people using my palette, if they just ask.

If you want to start discussions so badly I would advise you to work on your way of reasoning a bit and stop exaggerating other peoples' points and don't pull them out on context. This is very likely to just piss a bunch of people off and that way you will never get close to what you want. Unless pissing people off is what you want

 
www.hayovanreek.nl

Assault Andy

Administrator
I make other people create vaporware

Registered
  29/07/2002
Points
  5686

Game of the Week WinnerVIP Member360 OwnerGOTM JUNE - 2009 - WINNER!GOTM FEB - 2010 - WINNER!	I donated an open source project
2nd April, 2010 at 14:50:13 -


Originally Posted by Hayo
...I would advise you to work on your way of reasoning a bit and stop exaggerating other peoples' points and don't pull them out on context. This is very likely to just piss a bunch of people off and that way you will never get close to what you want. Unless pissing people off is what you want



Well said Hayo.

I don't really know what to think about palettes. My first reaction was "Of course you can't own a set of colours, that's stupid". But after reading some of your points I see some interesting arguments. I am a bit biased because I'm not an artist but I think it's pretty hard to come up with a good analogy of what using a palette means. I wouldn't compare it with using the engine from a game because I don't think that's similar at all.

However, I still don't think you can claim a palette, or should have to give credit for using someone else's palette.

 
Creator of Faerie Solitaire:
http://www.create-games.com/download.asp?id=7792
Also creator of ZDay20 and Dungeon Dash.
http://www.Jigxor.com
http://twitter.com/JigxorAndy

Xhunterko



Registered
  07/05/2003
Points
  1015

VIP MemberHas Donated, Thank You!Hasslevania 2!Pokemon Ball!
2nd April, 2010 at 15:27:21 -

"I would advise you to work on your way of reasoning a bit and stop exaggerating other peoples' points and don't pull them out on context."

Maybe not in your case. But if you read any of that forum post, I'd say I was hardly exaggerating.

"Unless pissing people off is what you want"

Absolutely not. I was just trying to argue the valid point. Nobody owns a set of colors. No matter how it is that a person came about them.

"Really, it's only fair."

Contradictory. They said, no, I don't own a single color. But you have to give credit for MY group of colors. Again. Who is being wrong here?

 
All platforming problems can be mostly solved here:

http://www.clickteam.com/mbfiles2/277308-engine.zip
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/psywakd/platform.gam
www.zephni.com

These are very excellent examples by other people and are very informative.
Image

I work at the speed of "maybe".

Coming Soon: Diary Of An Indie Developer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaF6H9MrgH8

Twitter:
http://twitter.com/xhunterko

Hayo

Stone Goose

Registered
  15/08/2002
Points
  6944

Game of the Week WinnerHas Donated, Thank You!VIP MemberGOTM 3RD PLACE! - APRIL 2009Weekly Picture Me This Round 27 Winner!Weekly Picture Me This Round 41 Winner!Weekly Picture Me This Round 45 Winner!
2nd April, 2010 at 15:33:02 -

So, what if you coded an engine, and I take it and use it in my game and I don't credit you. Would you like it?

Or take a piece of music, that's a bunch of notes. Nobody owns the notes. Does that make it ok to rip it from people?

Edited by Hayo

 
www.hayovanreek.nl

Xhunterko



Registered
  07/05/2003
Points
  1015

VIP MemberHas Donated, Thank You!Hasslevania 2!Pokemon Ball!
2nd April, 2010 at 15:49:07 -

"So, what if you coded an engine, and I take it and use it in my game and I don't credit you."

I made it open source didn't I? What do I care then?

So your still maintaining that YOU OWN those sets of colours?

"Does that make it ok to rip it from people?"

If I had taken an entire piece of art, then no. So your saying that not only does a person own a piece of art, but all the colors in it as well? I would like to see what more other people have to say about that. Specifically, every new artist that comes along. They can never use those colors without giving you part credit for their original works?

 
All platforming problems can be mostly solved here:

http://www.clickteam.com/mbfiles2/277308-engine.zip
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/psywakd/platform.gam
www.zephni.com

These are very excellent examples by other people and are very informative.
Image

I work at the speed of "maybe".

Coming Soon: Diary Of An Indie Developer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaF6H9MrgH8

Twitter:
http://twitter.com/xhunterko

Hayo

Stone Goose

Registered
  15/08/2002
Points
  6944

Game of the Week WinnerHas Donated, Thank You!VIP MemberGOTM 3RD PLACE! - APRIL 2009Weekly Picture Me This Round 27 Winner!Weekly Picture Me This Round 41 Winner!Weekly Picture Me This Round 45 Winner!
2nd April, 2010 at 16:50:08 -

You are just hopeless, you take everything I say out of context. forget it.

 
www.hayovanreek.nl

Jenswa

Possibly Insane

Registered
  26/08/2002
Points
  2722
2nd April, 2010 at 19:05:43 -

And why shouldn't people be credited for their creative effort?

Especially when you want to use it, because you like it or it saves the effort for you. All they ask in return is a little credit for their effort?

But why use a palette if you can use the entire sRGB colorspace? I am not sure if HP and Microsoft own the sRGB (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRGB) colorspace, but they did invent it for the use on the internet. And I am not giving them a special credit for using it, but that's probably because the mentioning of sRGB is enough.


 
Image jenswa.neocities.org

Hayo

Stone Goose

Registered
  15/08/2002
Points
  6944

Game of the Week WinnerHas Donated, Thank You!VIP MemberGOTM 3RD PLACE! - APRIL 2009Weekly Picture Me This Round 27 Winner!Weekly Picture Me This Round 41 Winner!Weekly Picture Me This Round 45 Winner!
2nd April, 2010 at 19:19:02 -

And while we are at it:
http://www.hayovanreek.nl/HayoPalette1.2.pcx

 
www.hayovanreek.nl

~Matt Esch~

Stone Goose

Registered
  30/12/2006
Points
  870

VIP Member
2nd April, 2010 at 19:24:37 -

A palette is an artistic signature in digital artwork, the contrast and tone of any image is affected by these choice of colours. If you are producing digital images from these choice of colours then the result is arguably a derivative work of that palette. If you were to argue otherwise we might ask you why you are using that specific palette in the first place? You must recognise that the palette of choice has some effect on your artwork in order for you to specifically choose it, otherwise you would simply create your own and neglect the contribution that this palette makes to your artwork. If you are taking a palette from someone else you don't have to credit it at all, it's up to the creator you are taking it from. Hayo has already said it takes a long time to produce a palette, and therefore this would give a lot a strength to an argument that says a palette is protected by copyright. The creator reserves the right to its usage, and if they want you to credit them explicitly then you must comply with their terms of use if you so wish to use their work.

 
http://create-games.com/project.asp?id=1875 Image


Ricky

loves Left For Dead 2

Registered
  28/12/2006
Points
  4175

Has Donated, Thank You!Game of the Week WinnerVIP MemberWii OwnerHero of TimeGOTM Winner! - November 2009I am an April Fool
2nd April, 2010 at 19:54:22 -


Originally Posted by Xhunterko
"So, what if you coded an engine, and I take it and use it in my game and I don't credit you."

I made it open source didn't I? What do I care then?

So your still maintaining that YOU OWN those sets of colours?

"Does that make it ok to rip it from people?"

If I had taken an entire piece of art, then no. So your saying that not only does a person own a piece of art, but all the colors in it as well? I would like to see what more other people have to say about that. Specifically, every new artist that comes along. They can never use those colors without giving you part credit for their original works?



If they came up with the exact same colours as Hayo (which is extremely unlikely), they would not have to give him credit. But if they just willy nilly come and copy his then yes, Hayo deserves credit. After all, he spent a lot of time working on it. And if you didn't think making a pallet was work, then you wouldn't be copying one in the first place

 
-

JustinC



Registered
  02/04/2006
Points
  1517

GOTM - MAY 2009 - 3RD PLACE!
2nd April, 2010 at 19:57:54 -


Originally Posted by Ricky

Originally Posted by Xhunterko
"So, what if you coded an engine, and I take it and use it in my game and I don't credit you."

I made it open source didn't I? What do I care then?

So your still maintaining that YOU OWN those sets of colours?

"Does that make it ok to rip it from people?"

If I had taken an entire piece of art, then no. So your saying that not only does a person own a piece of art, but all the colors in it as well? I would like to see what more other people have to say about that. Specifically, every new artist that comes along. They can never use those colors without giving you part credit for their original works?



If they came up with the exact same colours as Hayo (which is extremely unlikely), they would not have to give him credit. But if they just willy nilly come and copy his then yes, Hayo deserves credit. After all, he spent a lot of time working on it. And if you didn't think making a pallet was work, then you wouldn't be copying one in the first place



I agree with that.

 
Image

Ricky

loves Left For Dead 2

Registered
  28/12/2006
Points
  4175

Has Donated, Thank You!Game of the Week WinnerVIP MemberWii OwnerHero of TimeGOTM Winner! - November 2009I am an April Fool
2nd April, 2010 at 20:10:22 -

I think the odds of coming up with the same 255 colour pallet as someone else are 1/ ( 255^16 million )

 
-

Sketchy

Cornwall UK

Registered
  06/11/2004
Points
  1965

VIP MemberWeekly Picture Me This Round 43 Winner!Weekly Picture Me This Round 47 WinnerPicture Me This Round 49 Winner!
2nd April, 2010 at 22:09:03 -

I don't think it's an issue with large palettes, like the one Hayo posted (or any 256-color palette), because with that many colors to choose from, the specific shades aren't really that important to the overall "feel" of an image.

However, suppose a piece of highly stylized pixelart uses a very limited palette, which contributes significantly to it having a very distinct "feel" - if you use that palette in order to give your own image that same "feel", then that's when you should think about giving credit.

For want of a better example:
http://www.8bittoday.com/images/oct_suspicious_bees_by_manupix.png

Obviously there can be no absolute rule on something like this, but people should be able to use a little common sense and their own moral judgment.

 
n/a

Xhunterko



Registered
  07/05/2003
Points
  1015

VIP MemberHas Donated, Thank You!Hasslevania 2!Pokemon Ball!
2nd April, 2010 at 22:31:48 -

"Obviously there can be no absolute rule on something like this, but people should be able to use a little common sense and their own moral judgment."

That would thereby imply that the person, once again, owns a previously free set of colors. If you or I make a black and white avatar, whose palette is black and white now? Nobody's but ours. And it doesn't matter if it's not black, or white. But that argument says, that a person owns those sets of colors becuase he came up with it. I've been working on a little diagram. But I should check out the palette that Hayo posted first. Just to see if he's not infringing on someone elses palette ownership.

 
All platforming problems can be mostly solved here:

http://www.clickteam.com/mbfiles2/277308-engine.zip
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/psywakd/platform.gam
www.zephni.com

These are very excellent examples by other people and are very informative.
Image

I work at the speed of "maybe".

Coming Soon: Diary Of An Indie Developer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaF6H9MrgH8

Twitter:
http://twitter.com/xhunterko

Hayo

Stone Goose

Registered
  15/08/2002
Points
  6944

Game of the Week WinnerHas Donated, Thank You!VIP MemberGOTM 3RD PLACE! - APRIL 2009Weekly Picture Me This Round 27 Winner!Weekly Picture Me This Round 41 Winner!Weekly Picture Me This Round 45 Winner!
2nd April, 2010 at 22:45:25 -

You are using one of my blues in your avatar, I am gonna sue you.

 
www.hayovanreek.nl

Johnny Look

One Happy Dude

Registered
  14/05/2006
Points
  2942

VIP Member
2nd April, 2010 at 23:11:47 -

Xhunterko think of it that way.
You make a 16x16 tile.
Each pixel has a color. You didn't create the individual colors and pixels but you did use them to make something. That something was your work, and therefore belongs to you. A palette is the same thing, except now only the colors matter. Organizing a palette/set of colors takes work, usually more than making a 16x16 tile. So while you didn't create the colors, you did create the set. That's your set, your work and belongs to you. Even if someone created a palette exactly like yours then it's still your work. Most punk rock bands use the same exact chord progressions for their songs, yet you don't see them sueing each other do you ?

 
n/a

Sketchy

Cornwall UK

Registered
  06/11/2004
Points
  1965

VIP MemberWeekly Picture Me This Round 43 Winner!Weekly Picture Me This Round 47 WinnerPicture Me This Round 49 Winner!
2nd April, 2010 at 23:21:36 -

Xhunterko:
No. That's not what I said at all. It's got absolutely nothing to do with ownership.
People are starting to get annoyed with you because you're not listening, or at least not understanding.
Stop trying to make this so philosophical/political, when really it's just a simple question of common sense and basic manners.

You can consider it a "service" if you prefer, rather than a "possession".
For example, Bob might build you a house. Bob doesn't (and never did) own it, because it's not on his land. However, it would be rude not to thank Bob for all his hard work, wouldn't it?
Similarly, if Bob creates a palette which you make use of, you should thank him, even though he does not "own" the palette. You are thanking him for his time and effort, not for the end result.

If you work hard and just happen to come up with a palette similar to one that someone else already created, then that's fine.
However, if you knowingly copy a palette, then you're getting someone else to do the work for you - if you have any manners at all, you will thank them.

Edited by Sketchy

 
n/a

-MacAdaM-

Megaman Fosho

Registered
  12/02/2008
Points
  560
3rd April, 2010 at 01:12:35 -


Originally Posted by Sketchy
Xhunterko:
No. That's not what I said at all. It's got absolutely nothing to do with ownership.
People are starting to get annoyed with you because you're not listening, or at least not understanding.
Stop trying to make this so philosophical/political, when really it's just a simple question of common sense and basic manners.

You can consider it a "service" if you prefer, rather than a "possession".
For example, Bob might build you a house. Bob doesn't (and never did) own it, because it's not on his land. However, it would be rude not to thank Bob for all his hard work, wouldn't it?
Similarly, if Bob creates a palette which you make use of, you should thank him, even though he does not "own" the palette. You are thanking him for his time and effort, not for the end result.

If you work hard and just happen to come up with a palette similar to one that someone else already created, then that's fine.
However, if you knowingly copy a palette, then you're getting someone else to do the work for you - if you have any manners at all, you will thank them.


Agreed!

 
Your just jealous that you're not as awesome as me.
(And my megaman avatar )

Silveraura

God's God

Registered
  08/08/2002
Points
  6747

Game of the Week WinnerKlikCast StarAlien In Training!VIP Member360 OwnerWii OwnerSonic SpeedThe Cake is a LieComputerChristmas Tree!
I am an April Fool
3rd April, 2010 at 01:13:15 -

I don't think anyone here could have said it better themselves, Sketchy.

 
http://www.facebook.com/truediamondgame

Xhunterko



Registered
  07/05/2003
Points
  1015

VIP MemberHas Donated, Thank You!Hasslevania 2!Pokemon Ball!
3rd April, 2010 at 07:49:57 -

"You are using one of my blues in your avatar, I am gonna sue you."

That is the type of silliness that I am trying to protect against. Having seen enough arguments and having done some of my own research on the subject. I have come up to a conclusion.

Should I give you credit for any singular color? No. Besides, that blue is part of the common graphics gale palette.

If I were to use your entire palette and not give you any credit whatsoever, then yes. That would be wrong of me. I have never even said that I wouldn't give credit.

What I have maintained throughout my entire argument, is that that is your palette and I should give you credit for it, you don't own those colors. The topic that I have linked, the users still didn't see that that was my point. They have since called me a troll and have locked the thread. Which I think is very rude of them.

So, for the bullet point types who like to gloss over text.

1. Does anyone own a singular color/hue/shade/group? No.
2. Does someone need to be given credit for a palette they created that is used? Absolutely. I never said that they shouldn't.
3. Am I backpedaling? No

Does that work for everybody?

 
All platforming problems can be mostly solved here:

http://www.clickteam.com/mbfiles2/277308-engine.zip
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/psywakd/platform.gam
www.zephni.com

These are very excellent examples by other people and are very informative.
Image

I work at the speed of "maybe".

Coming Soon: Diary Of An Indie Developer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaF6H9MrgH8

Twitter:
http://twitter.com/xhunterko

Ricky

loves Left For Dead 2

Registered
  28/12/2006
Points
  4175

Has Donated, Thank You!Game of the Week WinnerVIP MemberWii OwnerHero of TimeGOTM Winner! - November 2009I am an April Fool
3rd April, 2010 at 08:45:30 -


Originally Posted by Xhunterko
Does that work for everybody?



NO, I WANT TO ARGUE GASH DARNIT!

 
-

Hayo

Stone Goose

Registered
  15/08/2002
Points
  6944

Game of the Week WinnerHas Donated, Thank You!VIP MemberGOTM 3RD PLACE! - APRIL 2009Weekly Picture Me This Round 27 Winner!Weekly Picture Me This Round 41 Winner!Weekly Picture Me This Round 45 Winner!
3rd April, 2010 at 12:57:26 -


Originally Posted by Xhunterko
"You are using one of my blues in your avatar, I am gonna sue you."

That is the type of silliness that I am trying to protect against. Having seen enough arguments and having done some of my own research on the subject. I have come up to a conclusion.

Should I give you credit for any singular color? No. Besides, that blue is part of the common graphics gale palette.

If I were to use your entire palette and not give you any credit whatsoever, then yes. That would be wrong of me. I have never even said that I wouldn't give credit.

What I have maintained throughout my entire argument, is that that is your palette and I should give you credit for it, you don't own those colors. The topic that I have linked, the users still didn't see that that was my point. They have since called me a troll and have locked the thread. Which I think is very rude of them.

So, for the bullet point types who like to gloss over text.

1. Does anyone own a singular color/hue/shade/group? No.
2. Does someone need to be given credit for a palette they created that is used? Absolutely. I never said that they shouldn't.
3. Am I backpedaling? No

Does that work for everybody?



About forty people on Pixelation and in this thread told you exactly that. I don't really see what your problem is, you just seem to look for trouble. Just like "So, for the bullet point types who like to gloss over text" is not likely to earn you any friends. Someone should protect you against your own silliness.

 
www.hayovanreek.nl

Jon Lambert

Administrator
Vaporware Master

Registered
  19/12/2004
Points
  8235

VIP MemberWii OwnerTDC Chat Super UserI am an April FoolSSBB 3265-4741-0937ACCF 3051-1173-8012360 Owner
3rd April, 2010 at 14:30:35 -


Originally Posted by Xhunterko
I say that no one should give any one person credit for any one set of colors used.

I don't know, but that sounds different to what you're sayIng now. Maybe I'm just thinking of it wrong?

Also, had I posted earlier like I'd wanted to, I'd have said that a specific color scheme being used by a particular artist becomes an essential, integral part of their art style, and in copying their palette you'd be copying a bit of their style. While Hayo's example of coding an engine was a bit of a false analogy, I can see how he would come up with it: imagine someone codes an engine for a hookshot in a platformer, and you want to do so to. If you code it yourself then you don't need to give them credit, but if you download their engine and use that, then you must give credit unless told otherwise. He was just using that to emulate the issue of credit given for work received, like Sketchy and his friend Bob the builder.

Also said multiple times is that if you were to magically develop the same palette independently of seeing the palette in question then you'd be fine not giving credit. However, I think that if you were to take a palette and change the RGB value of each color by 1, you'd still need to give credit, in a similar manner to giving credit if you use someone else's engine for a game and make a few changes.

And yes, the too long didn't read thing might insult some people, especially those who have gone through your posts and read them thoroughly, and it wasn't a very long post to begin with.

 
Sandwich Time!Whoo!

JoyCheck & KeyCheck Widgets
For easy implementation of customizable joystick and keyboard controls.
http://www.create-games.com/download.asp?id=8364

Hayo

Stone Goose

Registered
  15/08/2002
Points
  6944

Game of the Week WinnerHas Donated, Thank You!VIP MemberGOTM 3RD PLACE! - APRIL 2009Weekly Picture Me This Round 27 Winner!Weekly Picture Me This Round 41 Winner!Weekly Picture Me This Round 45 Winner!
3rd April, 2010 at 16:21:56 -

You are prolly right, but why was it a false analogy?

 
www.hayovanreek.nl

Jon Lambert

Administrator
Vaporware Master

Registered
  19/12/2004
Points
  8235

VIP MemberWii OwnerTDC Chat Super UserI am an April FoolSSBB 3265-4741-0937ACCF 3051-1173-8012360 Owner
3rd April, 2010 at 16:51:51 -

I just think it's kinda false in that there are a myriad number of ways to code the same engine but not to come with a palette. You could look at a number of project sources and see many different ways to code a similar platforming engine, but if you see a bunch of similarly colored art and look at the palettes, they likely don't differ too much.

 
Sandwich Time!Whoo!

JoyCheck & KeyCheck Widgets
For easy implementation of customizable joystick and keyboard controls.
http://www.create-games.com/download.asp?id=8364

Xhunterko



Registered
  07/05/2003
Points
  1015

VIP MemberHas Donated, Thank You!Hasslevania 2!Pokemon Ball!
3rd April, 2010 at 19:09:03 -

"I don't really see what your problem is, you just seem to look for trouble."

My problem was, and is this. At least a few of them had maintained that they still owned those colors as part of their intellectual property. That is what my problem was.

"I say that no one should give any one person credit for any one set of colors used."
"I don't know, but that sounds different to what you're sayIng now. Maybe I'm just thinking of it wrong?"

First comment is the case of the identical blue in me and hayo's work. There are probably some identical greys in in arne's palette as well as mine.
Second comment is me apologizing for saying to not give credit for the use of an person's entire pallette. Or even a good majority of it.

"So, for the bullet point types who like to gloss over text."

That may have been rude of me. So I apologize for that.

 
All platforming problems can be mostly solved here:

http://www.clickteam.com/mbfiles2/277308-engine.zip
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/psywakd/platform.gam
www.zephni.com

These are very excellent examples by other people and are very informative.
Image

I work at the speed of "maybe".

Coming Soon: Diary Of An Indie Developer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaF6H9MrgH8

Twitter:
http://twitter.com/xhunterko

Hayo

Stone Goose

Registered
  15/08/2002
Points
  6944

Game of the Week WinnerHas Donated, Thank You!VIP MemberGOTM 3RD PLACE! - APRIL 2009Weekly Picture Me This Round 27 Winner!Weekly Picture Me This Round 41 Winner!Weekly Picture Me This Round 45 Winner!
3rd April, 2010 at 19:19:55 -

I am so glad I am not your wife.

 
www.hayovanreek.nl

UrbanMonk

BRING BACK MITCH

Registered
  07/07/2008
Points
  49608

Has Donated, Thank You!Little Pirate!ARGH SignKliktober Special Award TagPicture Me This Round 33 Winner!The Outlaw!VIP MemberHasslevania 2!I am an April FoolKitty
Picture Me This Round 32 Winner!Picture Me This Round 42 Winner!Picture Me This Round 44 Winner!Picture Me This Round 53 Winner!
3rd April, 2010 at 20:03:41 -

I'm glad you're not anyones wife hayo.

 
n/a

Watermelon876



Registered
  16/04/2009
Points
  27

I am an April FoolVIP Member
3rd April, 2010 at 20:40:38 -


Originally Posted by Xhunterko
"You are using one of my blues in your avatar, I am gonna sue you."

That is the type of silliness that I am trying to protect against. Having seen enough arguments and having done some of my own research on the subject. I have come up to a conclusion.




Sarcasm?

 
Awesomeness is Watermelon.
*/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
l、゙ ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ
This is Koji. Copy and paste Koji to your sig so he can acheive world domination.

tetsuya_shino



Registered
  12/08/2004
Points
  491
4th April, 2010 at 08:57:09 -

@Xhunterko: In your opening post you said you lost the argument at pixelation, a forum for pixel artists. People that use palettes on a daily basis.

Now you created another thread here on the Daily Click, and the moment people start disagreeing with you, you lose it. Dude, it's enough already. It's over.

Maybe you should make your own palette from scratch so you'd have a better understanding of 'what the big deal is'.

 
n/a

Hernan



Registered
  04/03/2003
Points
  707

VIP Member
4th April, 2010 at 09:37:23 -

I guess the difficulty in this seems to be that palettes have less degrees of freedom. But with a certain amount of colors, I think there is enough variability for someone to claim their own, like any piece of art.

 
This space is for rent

Xhunterko



Registered
  07/05/2003
Points
  1015

VIP MemberHas Donated, Thank You!Hasslevania 2!Pokemon Ball!
4th April, 2010 at 18:48:36 -

"It's over."

Excuse me, then why bring it up?

I already stated that I was wrong, apologized, and asked if anything else needed to be said.

I may have taken comments out of context or misunderstood some points. So I apologize for that.

So, in effect, yes, a person should be given full credit for their pallette used.

I was only alarmed because I thought someone stated that a person's palette is also part of their intellectual property. Which I took to meant that they owned those colors.

I don't know what more could be said.

Unless an admin decides it appropriate to lock this thread as well.

 
All platforming problems can be mostly solved here:

http://www.clickteam.com/mbfiles2/277308-engine.zip
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/psywakd/platform.gam
www.zephni.com

These are very excellent examples by other people and are very informative.
Image

I work at the speed of "maybe".

Coming Soon: Diary Of An Indie Developer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaF6H9MrgH8

Twitter:
http://twitter.com/xhunterko

Jon Lambert

Administrator
Vaporware Master

Registered
  19/12/2004
Points
  8235

VIP MemberWii OwnerTDC Chat Super UserI am an April FoolSSBB 3265-4741-0937ACCF 3051-1173-8012360 Owner
4th April, 2010 at 21:15:02 -

Wait, are you asking to have the thread locked or not?

 
Sandwich Time!Whoo!

JoyCheck & KeyCheck Widgets
For easy implementation of customizable joystick and keyboard controls.
http://www.create-games.com/download.asp?id=8364

OMC

What a goofball

Registered
  21/05/2007
Points
  3539

KlikCast Musician! Guy with a HatSomewhat CrazyARGH SignLikes TDCHas Donated, Thank You!Retired Admin
4th April, 2010 at 21:30:54 -

Yes, he is.

I'm not even sure if we do lock requests. But I do know authors of a thread can delete their thread.

 

  		
  		

Jon Lambert

Administrator
Vaporware Master

Registered
  19/12/2004
Points
  8235

VIP MemberWii OwnerTDC Chat Super UserI am an April FoolSSBB 3265-4741-0937ACCF 3051-1173-8012360 Owner
4th April, 2010 at 22:26:50 -

Administrative Message: This topic has been locked.

 
Sandwich Time!Whoo!

JoyCheck & KeyCheck Widgets
For easy implementation of customizable joystick and keyboard controls.
http://www.create-games.com/download.asp?id=8364
This thread has been locked by an administrator



 



Advertisement

Worth A Click