The Daily Click ::. Forums ::. General Chat ::. Can anyone justify an Apple PC for me?
 

Post Reply  Post Oekaki 
 

Posted By Message

Ricky

loves Left For Dead 2

Registered
  28/12/2006
Points
  4175

Has Donated, Thank You!Game of the Week WinnerVIP MemberWii OwnerHero of TimeGOTM Winner! - November 2009I am an April Fool
17th August, 2010 at 21:49:22 -

I have a 9 dollar sony mp3 player. It's great, you just stick it into your PC like a usb drive and drag the songs into the folder. No software instillation needed. And I would never use iTunes, my sister has, and had to delete all her songs because she forgot her password, wtf apple? Amazon mp3 is way better.

 
-

Hagar

Administrator
Old klik fart

Registered
  20/02/2002
Points
  1692

You've Been Circy'd!Teddy Bear
17th August, 2010 at 23:16:42 -

@Matt: Still tempted with a Mac but that will be when I get some cash I dont end up spending on commuting or lego (lego is a lot of fun)

@Ricky: I used to use a small cheap philips MP3 player (drag and drop & awesome battery life - plus the menu was system is wonderfully simple) until I got my new nokia phone, just one less thing to carry around but its not as good.



 
n/a

Matthew Wiese

The Fencer

Registered
  01/02/2009
Points
  149

VIP Member360 Owner
18th August, 2010 at 00:15:28 -

You're obsessed with Lego too? I've been playing with Lego ever since I wouldn't swallow random stuff (which if my memory server rights was quite early, I was a sharp baby if I do say so myself). Lego is awesome!

I'm in love with my Mac, even though I don't really use the Mac side of it. The 2.8 core 2 duo processor is very good for me. Plays lots of great commercial games.

 
n/a

Silveraura

God's God

Registered
  08/08/2002
Points
  6747

Game of the Week WinnerKlikCast StarAlien In Training!VIP Member360 OwnerWii OwnerSonic SpeedThe Cake is a LieComputerChristmas Tree!
I am an April Fool
18th August, 2010 at 01:37:24 -


Originally Posted by Jon Lambert

Originally Posted by Flava
I own an iPod Touch because it does everything I want and more, not because I think it's "cool".

This. Although I'm leaving it at home while I go to college since I have my Droid X and my mother wanted an iPod to use.

I had a friend with a first generation iPod Touch who sold it to get the money to buy a Zune HD, convinced that it was the better product, with HD screen and all that. For the first few days he used to think it was so cool, especially the way it displayed album art and info while playing music, but eventually he realized that it wasn't that great (with a slow web browser and not many apps) so he traded it back for his original iPod Touch and was happy again.



3 reasons I prefer Zune.
* Zune Pass, $14 a month for unlimited music download streaming and you keep 10 free songs you choose, each month. DRM free.
-- You can also stream and download music anywhere as long as your in a wifi zone. Very nice if you're at school and suddenly want to listen to something in particular. The SmatDJ feature also makes use of this. Any music you buy on Zune is DRM free too.
* Zune Software is a lot better then iTunes in just about every way.
* ZuneHD has a very nice OLED display which doesn't drain the battery at full brightness and maintains crystal clear vibrant colors from pitch black to bright white, even on the brightest setting.

 
http://www.facebook.com/truediamondgame

OMC

What a goofball

Registered
  21/05/2007
Points
  3334

KlikCast Musician! Guy with a HatSomewhat CrazyARGH SignLikes TDCHas Donated, Thank You!Retired Admin
18th August, 2010 at 02:10:21 -

Agh, cheap MP3 players are crap. My sister and I started out with them, and they are awful.

 

  		
  		

Flava



Registered
  30/07/2002
Points
  684

Has Donated, Thank You!Code MonkeyVIP MemberThe Cake is a LieThe Spinster
18th August, 2010 at 09:52:54 -


Originally Posted by SiLVERFIRE

Originally Posted by Jon Lambert

Originally Posted by Flava
I own an iPod Touch because it does everything I want and more, not because I think it's "cool".

This. Although I'm leaving it at home while I go to college since I have my Droid X and my mother wanted an iPod to use.

I had a friend with a first generation iPod Touch who sold it to get the money to buy a Zune HD, convinced that it was the better product, with HD screen and all that. For the first few days he used to think it was so cool, especially the way it displayed album art and info while playing music, but eventually he realized that it wasn't that great (with a slow web browser and not many apps) so he traded it back for his original iPod Touch and was happy again.



3 reasons I prefer Zune.
* Zune Pass, $14 a month for unlimited music download streaming and you keep 10 free songs you choose, each month. DRM free.
-- You can also stream and download music anywhere as long as your in a wifi zone. Very nice if you're at school and suddenly want to listen to something in particular. The SmatDJ feature also makes use of this. Any music you buy on Zune is DRM free too.
* Zune Software is a lot better then iTunes in just about every way.
* ZuneHD has a very nice OLED display which doesn't drain the battery at full brightness and maintains crystal clear vibrant colors from pitch black to bright white, even on the brightest setting.



The Zune pass thing sounds interesting, but I doubt I would use it much (I actually don't buy or listen to much new music). The Zune software does look better but that doesn't really justify buying a new device in my opinion.

Really I was hoping the Zune did something completely different to the iPod touch or any other device - does it have any extremely useful applications or anything? I heard the marketplace doesn't really have that many apps.

Edited by Flava

 
This is a signature. Have this one on me.

Hagar

Administrator
Old klik fart

Registered
  20/02/2002
Points
  1692

You've Been Circy'd!Teddy Bear
18th August, 2010 at 10:20:18 -

Silverfire I do hope you realise OLED displays are actually very power hungry. LCD's have one light source (backlight) which takes a fair bit of power but the LCD display itself takes hardly anything. On the other hand every pixel on a LED display is active and draining current. OLED TV's are about the same as equivalent plasmas in terms of power consumption, just to prove this point .

@OMC: I can not see a problem with an MP3 player as long as it: lets me browse album/artist/genre, has good sound quality, and decent battery life. My little philips did of all of these so what is the problem with it? . I have no want nor desire to see album covers (I have the CD's/LP's/singles anyway I can look at them if I want), play games on it or browse the web.

@Matt: Yes I love lego lol, I think there is a few lego fans lurking around on TDC . Mainly technic but I do system too. Most recent set I built is the 8868 Air Tech Claw Rig.






 
n/a

Silveraura

God's God

Registered
  08/08/2002
Points
  6747

Game of the Week WinnerKlikCast StarAlien In Training!VIP Member360 OwnerWii OwnerSonic SpeedThe Cake is a LieComputerChristmas Tree!
I am an April Fool
18th August, 2010 at 13:10:49 -


Originally Posted by ..::hagar::..
Silverfire I do hope you realise OLED displays are actually very power hungry. LCD's have one light source (backlight) which takes a fair bit of power but the LCD display itself takes hardly anything. On the other hand every pixel on a LED display is active and draining current. OLED TV's are about the same as equivalent plasmas in terms of power consumption, just to prove this point .

@OMC: I can not see a problem with an MP3 player as long as it: lets me browse album/artist/genre, has good sound quality, and decent battery life. My little philips did of all of these so what is the problem with it? . I have no want nor desire to see album covers (I have the CD's/LP's/singles anyway I can look at them if I want), play games on it or browse the web.

@Matt: Yes I love lego lol, I think there is a few lego fans lurking around on TDC . Mainly technic but I do system too. Most recent set I built is the 8868 Air Tech Claw Rig.







Not true. If I keep my Droids LCD screen on for 2 hours straight, my battery is almost dead. If I keep my ZuneHD screen on for 2 hours, I barely lose 1/4 of the battery power. This on top of the very vivid colors make the device perfect for watching movies, especially in the dark where you get the true wide array of pitch blacks and bright whites.

@Flava, the app "market" on the Zune is horrible. Besides having stuff like Audiosurf Tilt and Facebook, there's really not much, but they are all free. If you get a dock for the ZuneHD though, it has 720p HD HDMI output. It also has an HD radio tuner which is really nice and one of the only handhold devices to have one built in.

Plus, the screen to device size ratio is very good on the Zune. The screen is slightly smaller then the iPod Touch but the whole device is much smaller and thinner. This makes it very convenient to have in your pocket at all times.

 
http://www.facebook.com/truediamondgame

OMC

What a goofball

Registered
  21/05/2007
Points
  3334

KlikCast Musician! Guy with a HatSomewhat CrazyARGH SignLikes TDCHas Donated, Thank You!Retired Admin
18th August, 2010 at 13:44:26 -


Originally Posted by ..::hagar::..
@OMC: I can not see a problem with an MP3 player as long as it: lets me browse album/artist/genre, has good sound quality, and decent battery life. My little philips did of all of these so what is the problem with it? . I have no want nor desire to see album covers (I have the CD's/LP's/singles anyway I can look at them if I want), play games on it or browse the web.



Maybe mine was even cheaper than yours. Because navigation was miserable. It ran on a AAA and the build quality was utter crap. Eventually had to press down on the USB cable to get it to work before it finally failed.

My sister's was a thumb drive with a screen. Navigation on it too was terrible.

 

  		
  		

Hagar

Administrator
Old klik fart

Registered
  20/02/2002
Points
  1692

You've Been Circy'd!Teddy Bear
18th August, 2010 at 13:44:38 -

Silverfire have you any idea of how to test something fairly in engineering? Using the same battery capacity and testing ONLY the displays current draw (not a whole load of other junk drawing current) an LCD would win in normal use. I have numerous degrees in electronics, and I have even designed products with LCD and OLED displays, OLEDs displays are awesome for quality though .

A small 1 inch OLED display I used takes about 100ma at 65% brightness displaying a normal stats screen from a 5V supply (thats 500mW!). Find me a 1 inch LCD that takes that much.

OLEDs can beat LCDs on black images and on dull/dark images (I will let you have that one ), but nromal conditions a LCD wins ( I presume the Zune uses black screens for pretty much everything). Viewing a bright scene can draw many times the current of a LCD. Do not get me started on the lifespan of these devices. We abanonded OLEDs at work due to this (as these devices HAD to be left on 24/7).

There is a lot of confusion on the Net about OLEDs, but you heard this direct from an engineer.



 
n/a

Silveraura

God's God

Registered
  08/08/2002
Points
  6747

Game of the Week WinnerKlikCast StarAlien In Training!VIP Member360 OwnerWii OwnerSonic SpeedThe Cake is a LieComputerChristmas Tree!
I am an April Fool
18th August, 2010 at 14:16:39 -

All I know is that the ZuneHD's screen can stay on for hours on end with little impact on the battery life. I'm not going to pretend like I don't care about the technical information because I do, but in this context... OLED is one of the advantages to using a ZuneHD. It's excellent for video.

 
http://www.facebook.com/truediamondgame

Flava



Registered
  30/07/2002
Points
  684

Has Donated, Thank You!Code MonkeyVIP MemberThe Cake is a LieThe Spinster
18th August, 2010 at 14:38:48 -

I'll still probably stick with my iPod considering MS barely even support the Zune in the UK - it sounds interesting though. Is there anywhere I can check out apps for the Zune? I downloaded the Zune software and found nowhere for the marketplace. The interface looks really nice though.

 
This is a signature. Have this one on me.

Dogzer



Registered
  07/02/2011
Points
  1029
20th August, 2010 at 06:00:01 -

I picture mac users as.. I don't know.. babies? just laying there in their lil baby crib being amazed at the pretty colors, not knowing nothing about the world.. You have any idea how much it costs to buy a baby illegally? TONS man.. and that's how much getting a mac costs you, get it?.. PERFECT ANALOGY

PC users are grown men and they fuck bitches, they know how to get around, and wont take any shit from anyone.. 2k for a basic rig? f* that!

All PCs I've bought were around 1k and were top notch for their time, I made each one last from 4 to 6 years, until they were so rusty and started to smell bad from so much coffee and cereal I've spilled on, I usually upgrade for 150/200 bux to get back in the game for a couple of more years, I always want to be at the top of my game.. you guys know that

Even If money wasn't a big deal, I think I might still go for a PC.. man... windows.. plug'n'play. I mean, it doesn't rock but everything is made for windows, you're invited to every party, but if you're a mac user, you gotta start asking yourself 'is it compatible?', you're fuck'd! And to think they're more expensive... D'UH, forget it niggars!

 
n/a

Hagar

Administrator
Old klik fart

Registered
  20/02/2002
Points
  1692

You've Been Circy'd!Teddy Bear
20th August, 2010 at 10:04:03 -

"Lol classic Ashman!"

Thats kinda my point though, my PC is still on par with the 2000 pound Mac pro, over a year after I built it for way under half the price. I used to use my PC's as long as possible but my work has changed now requiring beefy machines (mmmm beef). Where's the beef!?

Coffee and cereal stains are mandatory for any serious PC user...



 
n/a

Matthew Wiese

The Fencer

Registered
  01/02/2009
Points
  149

VIP Member360 Owner
20th August, 2010 at 15:52:58 -


Originally Posted by Dogzer
I picture mac users as.. I don't know.. babies? just laying there in their lil baby crib being amazed at the pretty colors, not knowing nothing about the world.. You have any idea how much it costs to buy a baby illegally? TONS man.. and that's how much getting a mac costs you, get it?.. PERFECT ANALOGY

PC users are grown men and they fuck bitches, they know how to get around, and wont take any shit from anyone.. 2k for a basic rig? f* that!

All PCs I've bought were around 1k and were top notch for their time, I made each one last from 4 to 6 years, until they were so rusty and started to smell bad from so much coffee and cereal I've spilled on, I usually upgrade for 150/200 bux to get back in the game for a couple of more years, I always want to be at the top of my game.. you guys know that

Even If money wasn't a big deal, I think I might still go for a PC.. man... windows.. plug'n'play. I mean, it doesn't rock but everything is made for windows, you're invited to every party, but if you're a mac user, you gotta start asking yourself 'is it compatible?', you're fuck'd! And to think they're more expensive... D'UH, forget it niggars!



All that swearing is not necessary for what you're trying to get across. You're showing the exact side of the debate that's going on, Mac and PC users yelling and swearing at each other without and real "evidence" to support what they're yelling about. Bad mouthing like that will get you no where.


Originally Posted by Dogzer
ven If money wasn't a big deal, I think I might still go for a PC.. man... windows.. plug'n'play. I mean, it doesn't rock but everything is made for windows, you're invited to every party, but if you're a mac user, you gotta start asking yourself 'is it compatible?', you're fuck'd! And to think they're more expensive... D'UH, forget it niggars!



And this isn't true either, just use bootcamp for all your games and you don't have to tell yourself "Oh I'm a dumbass for not reading if this is Windows or Mac." Dogzer you really disappoint me by the way you act.

 
n/a
   

Post Reply



 



Advertisement

Worth A Click