The Daily Click ::. Forums ::. General Chat ::. UDK vs Unity
 

Post Reply  Post Oekaki 
 

Posted By Message

Dogzer



Registered
  07/02/2011
Points
  1029
11th November, 2009 at 20:23:47 -

discuss

 
n/a

Rikus

Administrator
Crazy for News

Registered
  02/12/2001
Points
  496
11th November, 2009 at 20:30:54 -

umm since you started the topic Dogzer maybe you should kick start it, maybe you know.

 
Be sure to follow us on the twitters for the latest and greatest: @dailyclick

Dr. James MD

Addict

Registered
  08/12/2003
Points
  11941

First GOTW AwardSecond GOTW AwardThird GOTW AwardPicture Me This -Round 26- Winner!
11th November, 2009 at 21:03:11 -

Unity for me. It's just so damn flexible.

 
Image
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j--8iXVv2_U
On the sixth day God created Manchester
"You gotta get that sand out your vaj!" x13
www.bossbaddie.com

HorrendousGames

Sourpuss

Registered
  31/10/2009
Points
  481

VIP MemberEvil klikerGame Of The Week Winner
11th November, 2009 at 22:31:24 -

I haven't had a chance to mess with Unreal 3, only Unreal 2, and I haven't had much expirience past the tutorials working with the content that comes with Unreal and Unreal levels, not really any expirience using it for my own work. My equipment can't handle Unreal 3, which is a real bummer because it looks very impressive, but I definatly can see why Dr. James would choose Unity for it's flexibility.

Unity on the other hand looks very impressive as well, although working through the 3D platform tutorial it's a very big pain adding items to the field, mostly because my computer will crash if I resize the window or I drag something that ticks off Unity, but from what I've used it looks very very easy to add in assets, and is problably very close to MMF2, minus the fact that you actually have to know JavaScript, C# or boo to do anything useful, although using and editing the pre-made scripts (which I believe are written in JavaScript? Correct me if I'm wrong) you could problably do quite a bit. I'm going to run through the FPS tutorial later and hopefully my computer can handle it.

 
/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/
That Really Hot Chick
now on the Xbox Live Marketplace!

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/That-Really-Hot-Chick/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550942

http://www.create-games.com/project.asp?view=main&id=2160

Dogzer



Registered
  07/02/2011
Points
  1029
12th November, 2009 at 00:16:01 -

I'm going to have to say the best one is unreal development kit by far. I've been reading the help files, and it's magical! Unity on the other hand, looks good, but doesnt seem to be as complete ask udk. Although it seems to be able to compile browser aplications, wich is very appealing! If we put together unity and udk you get jamagic!

 
n/a

UrbanMonk

BRING BACK MITCH

Registered
  07/07/2008
Points
  50142

Has Donated, Thank You!Little Pirate!ARGH SignKliktober Special Award TagPicture Me This Round 33 Winner!The Outlaw!VIP MemberHasslevania 2!I am an April FoolKitty
12th November, 2009 at 00:20:00 -

You're right Dogzer Jamagic is the best, how could clickteam abandon it? What were they thinking?

 
n/a

MJK

Possibly Insane

Registered
  22/03/2006
Points
  3592

Game Of The Week Cup 1Game Of The Week Cup 2Game Of The Week Cup 3Game Of The Week Cup 4Game Of The Week Cup 5Game Of The Week Cup 6
12th November, 2009 at 07:56:39 -


Originally Posted by UrbanMonk
You're right Dogzer Jamagic is the best, how could clickteam abandon it? What were they thinking?



They started thinking about MMF3D...

 
n/a

Dogzer



Registered
  07/02/2011
Points
  1029
13th November, 2009 at 11:51:33 -

Alright, I downloaded unreal development kit, and there's no straightfoward documentation. It comes with no help files, just links to the site, and udk forum. Udk just failed for that.

 
n/a

Johnny Look

One Happy Dude

Registered
  14/05/2006
Points
  2942

VIP Member
13th November, 2009 at 17:45:12 -


Originally Posted by Dogzer
I'm going to have to say the best one is unreal development kit by far. I've been reading the help files, and it's magical! Unity on the other hand, looks good, but doesnt seem to be as complete ask udk. Although it seems to be able to compile browser aplications, wich is very appealing! If we put together unity and udk you get jamagic!




Originally Posted by Dogzer
Alright, I downloaded unreal development kit, and there's no straightfoward documentation. It comes with no help files, just links to the site, and udk forum. Udk just failed for that.



wut


Seriously though, Unity is fantastic, anyone with ambition and the will to learn could make a AAA game with no problems. Never tried UDK but it seems they are in different leagues, while Unity is capable of making AAA games, UDK was made mostly for that. I might be wrong though.

 
n/a

OMC

What a goofball

Registered
  21/05/2007
Points
  3334

KlikCast Musician! Guy with a HatSomewhat CrazyARGH SignLikes TDCHas Donated, Thank You!Retired Admin
13th November, 2009 at 19:06:30 -

Yea, like Johnny said, it seems they're in different leagues. I think UDK is meant for very professional projects, while Unity can be for the tinkerer.

 

  		
  		

X_Sheep

I had a custom rating before it was cool

Registered
  01/03/2004
Points
  1313

VIP MemberPicture Me This -Round 23- Winner!Dos Rules!
14th November, 2009 at 10:19:26 -

It seems the 'official' manual for UDK is still under development. That said, the tools themselves aren't exactly new, and there should be plenty of tutorials and resources on the internet. Learning UnrealScript is a piece of cake if you already know Java.

I reckon that you could make an AAA game with both Unity and Unreal just as easy, as long as you're willing to invest the time.

 
a/n

markno2



Registered
  06/06/2006
Points
  865

Game of the Week WinnerVIP MemberPicture Me This Round 30 Winner!Weekly Picture Me This Round 39 Winner!Kliktober Special Award Tag
14th November, 2009 at 16:12:11 -

Maybe Clickteam should follow suit and release Jamagic as freeware.

 
Discarded pizza boxes are an indispensable source of cheese.

HorrendousGames

Sourpuss

Registered
  31/10/2009
Points
  481

VIP MemberEvil klikerGame Of The Week Winner
14th November, 2009 at 16:57:45 -


Originally Posted by Dogzer
Alright, I downloaded unreal development kit, and there's no straightfoward documentation. It comes with no help files, just links to the site, and udk forum. Udk just failed for that.


UDN has some decent tutorials, but most of the good stuff is locked off for licencees, and the site is horrifyingly obnoxious to navigate, and most of the tutorials (for 2k3/2k4) start off with a general subject, then specific tasks are linked in that tutorial, and rather than having the whole tutorial on one page or in a series of pages that walk you through from beginning to end, it's more like a mass group of random garbles that you somehow have to follow. Apparantly there is some sort of DVD that comes with the special edition (both for Unreal Engine 2.5 and 3) that has a mass of video tutorials that are supposed to be top notch or something. I'm sure someone has them uploaded to youtube or something.

I told my unity to restore the window layout to factory settings the other day, which crashed my computer. But now everytime I try to start Unity it loads those same settings which of course crashes my computer all over again. Re-Installing didn't fix it either. I really need to find that file that controls all of that, if there is anything like that.

 
/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/
That Really Hot Chick
now on the Xbox Live Marketplace!

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/That-Really-Hot-Chick/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550942

http://www.create-games.com/project.asp?view=main&id=2160

X_Sheep

I had a custom rating before it was cool

Registered
  01/03/2004
Points
  1313

VIP MemberPicture Me This -Round 23- Winner!Dos Rules!
14th November, 2009 at 20:11:24 -


Originally Posted by OMGGames
I told my unity to restore the window layout to factory settings the other day, which crashed my computer. But now everytime I try to start Unity it loads those same settings which of course crashes my computer all over again. Re-Installing didn't fix it either. I really need to find that file that controls all of that, if there is anything like that.



I guess such information is stored in the registry.

 
a/n

Dogzer



Registered
  07/02/2011
Points
  1029
14th November, 2009 at 23:47:47 -

IMO after 30 minutes of TRYING to learn how to use an user friendly game development kit you should`ve managed to do these:

3) Make a Box that moves on keyboard down - FAILED
2) Run an empty piece of code (smallest piece of code posible) - FAILED
1) Know where to type the code - FAILED

I just failed! But why?
With blitz3D I managed to do all those things, real easy. Why with almighty unreal development kit i couldn't do it?
I'll tell you why, bad documentation. There's simply not a single tutorials that tells you how to go from point A to point B. You are suposed to research bits by bits, until after a silly long waste of researching time you manage to do what you could have if only someone would've made 1 page of "START HERE" info.


Edited by an Administrator

 
n/a

HorrendousGames

Sourpuss

Registered
  31/10/2009
Points
  481

VIP MemberEvil klikerGame Of The Week Winner
15th November, 2009 at 07:42:01 -


Originally Posted by Dogzer
IMO after 30 minutes of TRYING to learn how to use an user friendly game development kit you should`ve managed to do these:

3) Make a Box that moves on keyboard down - FAILED
2) Run an empty piece of code (smallest piece of code posible) - FAILED
1) Know where to type the code - FAILED

I just failed! But why?
With blitz3D I managed to do all those things, real easy. Why with almighty unreal development kit i couldn't do it?
I'll tell you why, bad documentation. There's simply not a single tutorials that tells you how to go from point A to point B. You are suposed to research bits by bits, until after a silly long waste of researching time you manage to do what you could have if only someone would've made 1 page of "START HERE" info.



They're not required to, they assume that the 40 designers you just hired from ITT Tech already know.

 
/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/-=?=-/
That Really Hot Chick
now on the Xbox Live Marketplace!

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/That-Really-Hot-Chick/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550942

http://www.create-games.com/project.asp?view=main&id=2160

Dogzer



Registered
  07/02/2011
Points
  1029
15th November, 2009 at 17:41:16 -


Originally Posted by OMGGames

They're not required to, they assume that the 40 designers you just hired from ITT Tech already know.



Image

Then UDK is not for people like me!

 
n/a

UrbanMonk

BRING BACK MITCH

Registered
  07/07/2008
Points
  50142

Has Donated, Thank You!Little Pirate!ARGH SignKliktober Special Award TagPicture Me This Round 33 Winner!The Outlaw!VIP MemberHasslevania 2!I am an April FoolKitty
15th November, 2009 at 20:34:29 -

pwnd!

 
n/a

Dogzer



Registered
  07/02/2011
Points
  1029
15th November, 2009 at 20:54:47 -


Originally Posted by UrbanMonk
pwnd!



Seriosly, you're suposed to get help at the UDK forums, whose members have been somewhat responsive to my questions, leading me to confusing UDK help links wich i've already seen and found confusing and incomplete.

I mean, it's ok if UDK is 'pro' and I should buy all the books to learn how to use it. But dont make it look user friendly at the MAIN UDK PAGE. right?
It's like giving canned food for free and not providing a can opener.

 
n/a
   

Post Reply



 



Advertisement

Worth A Click