The Daily Click ::. Forums ::. General Chat ::. So it happened...
 


 

Posted By Message

Yami



Registered
  23/12/2003
Points
  608
19th June, 2008 at 18:41:39 -


Originally Posted by Va1entine
Come on guys who are you kidding with the WII? I remember the good old days when Nintendo ruled with the NES and SNES but them days have died! Nintendo should go back to making packs of cards!

Image Edited by the Author.



I'm not sure whether or not to call this statement just pure ignorance or stupidity. If you want to argue that the Wii is not the best system, then that's fine since one can easily have a legitimate explanation to defend such a claim. However, to say the days when Nintendo ruled have died is merely an opinion based on a matter of taste.

Here's the facts..

1. Microsoft had a year advantage on sales...
2. The 360 has sold a respectively 19 million and the Wii has sold 24.45 million units.
3. Nintendo makes profits while both Microsoft and Sony lose money every time they sale their system.
4. Except for one month in which Xbox 360 sales boomed thanks to Halo 3, Nintendo's Wii has remained the best-selling platform since its release in November of 2006, according to new video game software and hardware sales data released by the NPD Group.

Just because the Wii does not have everything you like does not make it dead. Nintendo is more alive than ever!

 
Image

AndyUK

Mascot Maniac

Registered
  01/08/2002
Points
  14445

Game of the Week WinnerSecond GOTW AwardHas Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
19th June, 2008 at 21:12:50 -

I don't know why people compare Wii sales with 360 and ps3 sales. Why not compare it with the ps2? since they're closer matched spec wise.

I say it's only sold more because it's cheap.

 
.

Yami



Registered
  23/12/2003
Points
  608
19th June, 2008 at 23:28:02 -

Either way, my point was that you can not deny that the Wii is successful no matter how much you don't like it.

 
Image

Silveraura

God's God

Registered
  08/08/2002
Points
  6746

Game of the Week WinnerKlikCast StarAlien In Training!VIP Member360 OwnerWii OwnerSonic SpeedThe Cake is a LieComputerChristmas Tree!
I am an April Fool
20th June, 2008 at 00:20:41 -

Wii is also in an entirely different category. Most people who have the money, will most likely buy both a Wii and a 360 or PS3. Why? Because they both offer what they hoped a single system would. Amazing graphics, solid big list of good titles, and uniquely superior gameplay. Plus, like Andy said... it's cheap. It's going to be the #1 gaming system parents get if their kid asks for one for Christmas. Cheap system and games. Not all system buyers are over the age of 18 and have a job. Parents play a huge role in these costs.

 
http://www.facebook.com/truediamondgame

Yami



Registered
  23/12/2003
Points
  608
20th June, 2008 at 01:02:49 -

In the last generation of consoles, the Gamecube was the cheapest and the PS2 still sold more units. So it could be argued that saying of course it's going to sell the most because it's the cheapest. But I do agree with you're point since Nintendo is attracting a completely newer crowd...

 
Image

Silveraura

God's God

Registered
  08/08/2002
Points
  6746

Game of the Week WinnerKlikCast StarAlien In Training!VIP Member360 OwnerWii OwnerSonic SpeedThe Cake is a LieComputerChristmas Tree!
I am an April Fool
20th June, 2008 at 01:11:07 -

The PS2 sold more units because it had such a strong reputation from the PS1, plus it had full backwards compatibility with the PS1. People didn't need to go out and buy a ton of new games just to use their new system, though the point in getting a new system JUST to play your old games seems kind of stupid. Why not just keep the PS1, buy games, then get a PS2 when you think you have enough. Ugh. But yeah, that's why the PS2 sold more then GameCube.

Now you have something similar going on with the Wii. Backwards compatibility, and strength in quality. Not to mention the cheap price, adds to this.

 
http://www.facebook.com/truediamondgame

Dr. James MD

Addict

Registered
  08/12/2003
Points
  11941

First GOTW AwardSecond GOTW AwardThird GOTW AwardPicture Me This -Round 26- Winner!
20th June, 2008 at 04:24:33 -


Originally Posted by BrandonC
Wii is also in an entirely different category. Most people who have the money, will most likely buy both a Wii and a 360 or PS3. Why? Because they both offer what they hoped a single system would. Amazing graphics, solid big list of good titles, and uniquely superior gameplay. Plus, like Andy said... it's cheap. It's going to be the #1 gaming system parents get if their kid asks for one for Christmas. Cheap system and games. Not all system buyers are over the age of 18 and have a job. Parents play a huge role in these costs.



I have enough money but I don't want to buy a PS3 or 360 my 2 year old 700 PC seems to perform better than these "HD" consoles.


Originally Posted by Captain Andyman

I say it's only sold more because it's cheap.



So why is the 360, now the cheapest current gen system, selling worse than the Wii? The PS2 was much more expensive than the Xbox and Gamecube too.

 
Image
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j--8iXVv2_U
On the sixth day God created Manchester
"You gotta get that sand out your vaj!" x13
www.bossbaddie.com

Yami



Registered
  23/12/2003
Points
  608
20th June, 2008 at 08:27:13 -


Originally Posted by Phizzy

Originally Posted by Yami
3. Nintendo makes profits while both Microsoft and Sony lose money every time they sale their system.


That's rather irrelevant to the popularity of the Wii. They make profit because it's a repackaged Gamecube, not because it's spectacularly brilliant.



...My response was towards the statement that Nintendo should go back to just making cards. I was NOT talking about popularity, rather that with the way their sales are going they have no reason to stop. Either way, the reasons as to why they make a profit still does not change the fact that people are still buying it. As for the response on third parties, I agree that is where Nintendo struggles, but at the same time the reason they do not sale well is because they just are not that good...

 
Image

AndyUK

Mascot Maniac

Registered
  01/08/2002
Points
  14445

Game of the Week WinnerSecond GOTW AwardHas Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
20th June, 2008 at 21:50:50 -


Originally Posted by Yami
Either way, my point was that you can not deny that the Wii is successful no matter how much you don't like it.



I agree with your point. I don't hate the wii though... I just feel people have been fooled a little bit. it's not really new hardware you see. I own a Gamecube btw lolz


Originally posted by Dr. James
So why is the 360, now the cheapest current gen system, selling worse than the Wii? The PS2 was much more expensive than the Xbox and Gamecube too.



People wont automatically buy the 360 just because it's dropped slightly below the price of the Wii. There is clearly more to it than just price. However it's clear that a more powerful Wii similarly priced to the 360 and ps3 would not have sold as much.
Besides the Wii now has a reputation as the cheapest which will be hard to get out of consumer's heads.

 
.

LIJI

Flava's Smarter Twin

Registered
  29/08/2006
Points
  2032

I like penguins
21st June, 2008 at 02:28:06 -

Ok so I've drastically changed my mind.
The 360, Wii and PS3 all suck. Chintendo Vii ( http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/13/wii-vs-vii-sincere-flatterii/ ) is the best next-gen console.
I'm not going to change my mind until another console gets a port of the Vii's best selling game "Fry Egg", and I do not see it happening soon because it requires the very high performance of the Wii and uses some of its special hardware features.

 
Service Unavailable

Ski

TDC is my stress ball

Registered
  13/03/2005
Points
  10130

GOTW WINNER CUP 1!GOTW WINNER CUP 2!GOTW WINNER CUP 3!KlikCast HelperVIP MemberWii OwnerStrawberryPicture Me This Round 28 Winner!PS3 OwnerI am an April Fool
Candy Cane
21st June, 2008 at 07:41:55 -

Yay another console war.

 
n/a

AndyUK

Mascot Maniac

Registered
  01/08/2002
Points
  14445

Game of the Week WinnerSecond GOTW AwardHas Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
21st June, 2008 at 10:21:25 -

Damn you, I want to know what that slash rank thing means.

 
.

Ski

TDC is my stress ball

Registered
  13/03/2005
Points
  10130

GOTW WINNER CUP 1!GOTW WINNER CUP 2!GOTW WINNER CUP 3!KlikCast HelperVIP MemberWii OwnerStrawberryPicture Me This Round 28 Winner!PS3 OwnerI am an April Fool
Candy Cane
22nd June, 2008 at 11:13:46 -

Yeah, I get cheques for 30,000 on a weekly basis. Dick.

Admin Note
  Language please!


 
n/a

Dr. James MD

Addict

Registered
  08/12/2003
Points
  11941

First GOTW AwardSecond GOTW AwardThird GOTW AwardPicture Me This -Round 26- Winner!
22nd June, 2008 at 11:16:40 -

What a strange thing to say. On topic though, I wonder how faddy the 360's successors CPU will be?

 
Image
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j--8iXVv2_U
On the sixth day God created Manchester
"You gotta get that sand out your vaj!" x13
www.bossbaddie.com

AndyUK

Mascot Maniac

Registered
  01/08/2002
Points
  14445

Game of the Week WinnerSecond GOTW AwardHas Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
22nd June, 2008 at 14:26:34 -

Strictly speaking thats not on topic.

 
.
This thread has been locked by an administrator



 



Advertisement

Worth A Click