The Daily Click ::. Forums ::. General Chat ::. Grand Theft Auto IV
 


 

Posted By Message
This thread has been locked by an administrator

-Liam-

Cake Addict

Registered
  06/12/2008
Points
  531

Wii OwnerIt's-a me, Mario!Hero of TimeStrawberry
28th April, 2008 at 10:17:07 -

Well, someone had to make it.

I'm going to buy it tomorrow, anyone else going to do so? Or have you all being preordering it? OR have some of you gotten early copies?

I saw some very brief gameplay footage on a low quality cam but as far as I could tell everything looked great. Should be fun! I hope I can get hold of it.

 
Image

Tell 'em Babs is 'ere...

AndyUK

Mascot Maniac

Registered
  01/08/2002
Points
  14446

Game of the Week WinnerSecond GOTW AwardHas Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
28th April, 2008 at 10:20:29 -

I'll probably buy it eventually but Ive only just bought call of duty 4 and have all o my other games to finish.

So i'm in no hurry.

 
.

Ski

TDC is my stress ball

Registered
  13/03/2005
Points
  10130

GOTW WINNER CUP 1!GOTW WINNER CUP 2!GOTW WINNER CUP 3!KlikCast HelperVIP MemberWii OwnerStrawberryPicture Me This Round 28 Winner!PS3 OwnerI am an April Fool
Candy Cane
28th April, 2008 at 10:44:19 -

If it was set in Happyland Id have it pre-ordered.

 
n/a

Dr. James MD

Addict

Registered
  08/12/2003
Points
  11941

First GOTW AwardSecond GOTW AwardThird GOTW AwardPicture Me This -Round 26- Winner!
28th April, 2008 at 10:48:36 -

If it was coming out on PC I'd have it preloaded on Steam.

I won't be getting it. No chance in hell I'll be able to go into a shop and buy a copy tomorrow.

 
Image
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j--8iXVv2_U
On the sixth day God created Manchester
"You gotta get that sand out your vaj!" x13
www.bossbaddie.com

Ski

TDC is my stress ball

Registered
  13/03/2005
Points
  10130

GOTW WINNER CUP 1!GOTW WINNER CUP 2!GOTW WINNER CUP 3!KlikCast HelperVIP MemberWii OwnerStrawberryPicture Me This Round 28 Winner!PS3 OwnerI am an April Fool
Candy Cane
28th April, 2008 at 12:23:00 -

It's on the news atm Saying how it's violent but a British success story, lol.

 
n/a

Flava



Registered
  30/07/2002
Points
  684

Has Donated, Thank You!Code MonkeyVIP MemberThe Cake is a LieThe Spinster
28th April, 2008 at 12:45:37 -

Pre-orderered it, should arrive tommorrow morning. Can't wait

 
This is a signature. Have this one on me.

Klikmaster

Master of all things Klik

Registered
  08/07/2002
Points
  2599

Has Donated, Thank You!You've Been Circy'd!VIP MemberPS3 Owner
28th April, 2008 at 15:43:15 -

Awesome Review


 
n/a

Phredreeke

Don't listen to this idiot

Registered
  03/08/2002
Points
  4504

You've Been Circy'd!VIP MemberPS3 Owner
28th April, 2008 at 16:22:36 -


Originally Posted by -Slink-
Well, someone had to make it.



Someone did make it. And the topic got locked.

 
- Ok, you must admit that was the most creative cussing this site have ever seen -

Make some more box arts damnit!
http://create-games.com/forum_post.asp?id=285363

nim



Registered
  17/05/2002
Points
  7230
28th April, 2008 at 17:08:35 -

What's thegamingape.com? They've blatantly ripped off the IGN review.

 
//

Dr. James MD

Addict

Registered
  08/12/2003
Points
  11941

First GOTW AwardSecond GOTW AwardThird GOTW AwardPicture Me This -Round 26- Winner!
28th April, 2008 at 18:06:31 -

Well a friend is picking it up at 8:30am tomorrow, haha. having a mini GTA partyathon. with sausage rolls and quiche.

 
Image
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j--8iXVv2_U
On the sixth day God created Manchester
"You gotta get that sand out your vaj!" x13
www.bossbaddie.com

-Liam-

Cake Addict

Registered
  06/12/2008
Points
  531

Wii OwnerIt's-a me, Mario!Hero of TimeStrawberry
28th April, 2008 at 19:26:20 -

That sounds lovely, James. I wish I could but I'll not be able to play it 'til Alex goes to bed - Don't want him picking up anything he shouldn't know about.

 
Image

Tell 'em Babs is 'ere...

Dr. James MD

Addict

Registered
  08/12/2003
Points
  11941

First GOTW AwardSecond GOTW AwardThird GOTW AwardPicture Me This -Round 26- Winner!
29th April, 2008 at 03:09:04 -

Would you like some scones Slink, we've probably got too many!

T minus 4 hours. Quick blow some balloons up.

 
Image
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j--8iXVv2_U
On the sixth day God created Manchester
"You gotta get that sand out your vaj!" x13
www.bossbaddie.com

Smeggy

The Smegster

Registered
  08/01/2003
Points
  1062

VIP Member
29th April, 2008 at 03:25:13 -

I attended the midnight launch at my local Gamestation, which proved an exciting experience indeed. Many of those queuing were nice enough, and purchasing a copy was hassle free.

 
http://www.klik-union.com

Phredreeke

Don't listen to this idiot

Registered
  03/08/2002
Points
  4504

You've Been Circy'd!VIP MemberPS3 Owner
29th April, 2008 at 04:56:46 -

You know something funny... All those PS3 fan boys who ragged on Halo 3 because it was just 640p instead of 720p... Apparantly the PS3 version of GTA4 is only 630p

Now, to be honest, I've seen pics of both and the difference is neglible. Just a fun observation.

 
- Ok, you must admit that was the most creative cussing this site have ever seen -

Make some more box arts damnit!
http://create-games.com/forum_post.asp?id=285363

Dr. James MD

Addict

Registered
  08/12/2003
Points
  11941

First GOTW AwardSecond GOTW AwardThird GOTW AwardPicture Me This -Round 26- Winner!
29th April, 2008 at 05:01:22 -

LOL!

(3 more words)

 
Image
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j--8iXVv2_U
On the sixth day God created Manchester
"You gotta get that sand out your vaj!" x13
www.bossbaddie.com

Dr. James MD

Addict

Registered
  08/12/2003
Points
  11941

First GOTW AwardSecond GOTW AwardThird GOTW AwardPicture Me This -Round 26- Winner!
29th April, 2008 at 11:02:56 -

I'm not too impressed! I was expecting perfection but I don't think it's as fun to play through as San Andreas. The physics are very fun though, we got bored in the end and just spawned helicopters and flung ourselves at buildings. Physics are never boring.

 
Image
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j--8iXVv2_U
On the sixth day God created Manchester
"You gotta get that sand out your vaj!" x13
www.bossbaddie.com

Flava



Registered
  30/07/2002
Points
  684

Has Donated, Thank You!Code MonkeyVIP MemberThe Cake is a LieThe Spinster
29th April, 2008 at 12:42:15 -

I think it's ten times better than San Andreas - the storyline is better, the characters are better. The thing about GTA IV is that it is more perfect than the other games. There were so many bugs in the other games, that it ruined the realism (e.g. falling through pavements, world glitches .etc). I've not really seen many bugs in this game, and the amount of detail is amazing.

Certainly the best GTA game yet for me

 
This is a signature. Have this one on me.

AndyUK

Mascot Maniac

Registered
  01/08/2002
Points
  14446

Game of the Week WinnerSecond GOTW AwardHas Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
29th April, 2008 at 12:44:18 -


Originally Posted by Phredreeke
You know something funny... All those PS3 fan boys who ragged on Halo 3 because it was just 640p instead of 720p... Apparantly the PS3 version of GTA4 is only 630p

Now, to be honest, I've seen pics of both and the difference is neglible. Just a fun observation.



Fanboys aren't worth your time phred.

 
.

Phredreeke

Don't listen to this idiot

Registered
  03/08/2002
Points
  4504

You've Been Circy'd!VIP MemberPS3 Owner
29th April, 2008 at 13:19:10 -


Originally Posted by Captain Andyman

Originally Posted by Phredreeke
You know something funny... All those PS3 fan boys who ragged on Halo 3 because it was just 640p instead of 720p... Apparantly the PS3 version of GTA4 is only 630p

Now, to be honest, I've seen pics of both and the difference is neglible. Just a fun observation.



Fanboys aren't worth your time phred.



I used to chat a bit with one, but then he decided to buy a 360

 
- Ok, you must admit that was the most creative cussing this site have ever seen -

Make some more box arts damnit!
http://create-games.com/forum_post.asp?id=285363

Ski

TDC is my stress ball

Registered
  13/03/2005
Points
  10130

GOTW WINNER CUP 1!GOTW WINNER CUP 2!GOTW WINNER CUP 3!KlikCast HelperVIP MemberWii OwnerStrawberryPicture Me This Round 28 Winner!PS3 OwnerI am an April Fool
Candy Cane
29th April, 2008 at 13:44:58 -

It will never beat Animal crossing

 
n/a

Aptennap



Registered
  23/04/2004
Points
  916
29th April, 2008 at 14:45:46 -

Animal Crossing...sweet...a guitar playing dog!

 
Oh sweet mary.

Dr. James MD

Addict

Registered
  08/12/2003
Points
  11941

First GOTW AwardSecond GOTW AwardThird GOTW AwardPicture Me This -Round 26- Winner!
29th April, 2008 at 14:53:25 -

Animal Crossing is rather good I've only been to Circy's village though also it's good but my village is probably a mess now.

 
Image
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j--8iXVv2_U
On the sixth day God created Manchester
"You gotta get that sand out your vaj!" x13
www.bossbaddie.com

Ski

TDC is my stress ball

Registered
  13/03/2005
Points
  10130

GOTW WINNER CUP 1!GOTW WINNER CUP 2!GOTW WINNER CUP 3!KlikCast HelperVIP MemberWii OwnerStrawberryPicture Me This Round 28 Winner!PS3 OwnerI am an April Fool
Candy Cane
29th April, 2008 at 15:22:10 -

Im really tempted to start playing it again >_<;

 
n/a

Phredreeke

Don't listen to this idiot

Registered
  03/08/2002
Points
  4504

You've Been Circy'd!VIP MemberPS3 Owner
30th April, 2008 at 17:08:04 -


GTA IV also set a record for first day sales Xbox 360 software, with 335,000 units. The prior record, set last September by Halo 3, was 266,000 units.
The PS3 version of GTA IV sold 274,000 units in the UK on day one.



Uh... wasn't the PS3 version supposed to outsell the 360 version?

Edit: Source is http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/gta-iv-sets-uk-day-one-sales-records

Image Edited by the Author.

 
- Ok, you must admit that was the most creative cussing this site have ever seen -

Make some more box arts damnit!
http://create-games.com/forum_post.asp?id=285363

AndyUK

Mascot Maniac

Registered
  01/08/2002
Points
  14446

Game of the Week WinnerSecond GOTW AwardHas Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
30th April, 2008 at 18:14:51 -

unlikely given how many more 360s there are.

Image Edited by the Author.

 
.

Liquixcat

Administrator
Lazy Coder

Registered
  08/12/2002
Points
  442086

VIP MemberLikes TDCKitty
3rd May, 2008 at 04:41:59 -

I bought it, played it, had surgery, bed ridden, play too much, bought Echochrome. Echochrome is fun.

 
thinking is like pong, it's easy, but you miss sometimes.

Johnny Look

One Happy Dude

Registered
  14/05/2006
Points
  2942

VIP Member
3rd May, 2008 at 08:47:50 -

must...get...gta IV...
(three more words)

Image Edited by the Author.

 
n/a

-Liam-

Cake Addict

Registered
  06/12/2008
Points
  531

Wii OwnerIt's-a me, Mario!Hero of TimeStrawberry
3rd May, 2008 at 11:27:38 -

Dunno if I already said this but I got the standard and Special editions on launch day no problem. Played it for about 6 hours that day >.<

Although it's been out about 5 days now and I haven't played it since. Not because it's bad, just because I've been too busy.

Oh I will point out it crashed twice.

 
Image

Tell 'em Babs is 'ere...

Torava



Registered
  12/11/2004
Points
  199
3rd May, 2008 at 16:48:37 -

Need this for PC

 

Liquixcat

Administrator
Lazy Coder

Registered
  08/12/2002
Points
  442086

VIP MemberLikes TDCKitty
3rd May, 2008 at 20:41:40 -

Yeah it crashed my PS3 twice too. Only times my PS3 ever froze.. and I use it a lot.....

 
thinking is like pong, it's easy, but you miss sometimes.

Muz



Registered
  14/02/2002
Points
  6499

VIP MemberI'm on a BoatI am an April FoolHonored Admin Alumnus
5th May, 2008 at 02:48:40 -


Originally Posted by Liquixcat
Yeah it crashed my PS3 twice too. Only times my PS3 ever froze.. and I use it a lot.....



That's why I don't buy games just when they came out. There's bound to be too many bugs and it'll be overpriced for a few months.

 
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Image

Dr. James MD

Addict

Registered
  08/12/2003
Points
  11941

First GOTW AwardSecond GOTW AwardThird GOTW AwardPicture Me This -Round 26- Winner!
5th May, 2008 at 04:27:26 -

The 360 version isn't without fault either. My bro can get online fine but a friend can't seem to find any games. He can host but nobody can join. Probably an isolated network problem though, haven't heard anyone else with this problem.

Found a pigeon

 
Image
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j--8iXVv2_U
On the sixth day God created Manchester
"You gotta get that sand out your vaj!" x13
www.bossbaddie.com

Flava



Registered
  30/07/2002
Points
  684

Has Donated, Thank You!Code MonkeyVIP MemberThe Cake is a LieThe Spinster
5th May, 2008 at 08:48:40 -

To fix the freezes, all you need to do is disconnect your console from the internet connection before starting the game - then it won't freeze when loading up. Seems like it's just having issues connecting to Rockstar's servers when loading the game (because I believe the single player mode still connects to the internet for the Social Club thing).

On GT forums lots of people have been having issues finding online games too - I think it depends on your NAT Type or something, but it could also be because the Rockstar servers are getting hammered (could explain the above issue too).

I've just finished the game (the story missions anyway) and it was a lot shorter than the other games. Then again I did play this game much more than I played the other games.. But yeh the story was awesome, and there are alternate endings so I'll probably play through it again some time.

 
This is a signature. Have this one on me.

Ski

TDC is my stress ball

Registered
  13/03/2005
Points
  10130

GOTW WINNER CUP 1!GOTW WINNER CUP 2!GOTW WINNER CUP 3!KlikCast HelperVIP MemberWii OwnerStrawberryPicture Me This Round 28 Winner!PS3 OwnerI am an April Fool
Candy Cane
5th May, 2008 at 09:02:59 -

You guys should get a Wii

 
n/a

-Liam-

Cake Addict

Registered
  06/12/2008
Points
  531

Wii OwnerIt's-a me, Mario!Hero of TimeStrawberry
5th May, 2008 at 09:37:45 -

I've had mucho experience on PS3, 360 and Wii and I even though graphics mean a LOT to me, I still think of the Wii as my personal fave out of the three. I can't quite put my finger on why, but something about it is just awesome

Anyway, I feel all three consoles have their pros and cons. Wii has crappy online. 360 is very noisey when running game disks. PS3 has to install games and STILL use the disk. Wii has the most interesting library of games/software IMO. 360 has a LOAD of awesome arcade games. PS3 has free online gaming.

Good points, bad points. I still love all three!

 
Image

Tell 'em Babs is 'ere...

Flava



Registered
  30/07/2002
Points
  684

Has Donated, Thank You!Code MonkeyVIP MemberThe Cake is a LieThe Spinster
5th May, 2008 at 11:04:09 -

Yeh, but this thread is about GTA IV - which isn't on the Wii.
So stay on topic

 
This is a signature. Have this one on me.

AndyUK

Mascot Maniac

Registered
  01/08/2002
Points
  14446

Game of the Week WinnerSecond GOTW AwardHas Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
5th May, 2008 at 11:14:21 -


Originally Posted by -Slink-
PS3 has to install games and STILL use the disk.



Some games don't, and the ones that do don't install the entire game. When you think that a Ps3 game could be 50gb potentially you wouldn't really have the HD space on most models.

 
.

Dr. James MD

Addict

Registered
  08/12/2003
Points
  11941

First GOTW AwardSecond GOTW AwardThird GOTW AwardPicture Me This -Round 26- Winner!
5th May, 2008 at 11:40:09 -

GTA IV is only about 7gb or so I think there should be a full install option, even on the 360.

 
Image
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j--8iXVv2_U
On the sixth day God created Manchester
"You gotta get that sand out your vaj!" x13
www.bossbaddie.com

-Liam-

Cake Addict

Registered
  06/12/2008
Points
  531

Wii OwnerIt's-a me, Mario!Hero of TimeStrawberry
5th May, 2008 at 14:46:28 -

So erm... Has anyone encountered and hidden packages on GTA IV? I've found nothing as of yet...

 
Image

Tell 'em Babs is 'ere...

Ski

TDC is my stress ball

Registered
  13/03/2005
Points
  10130

GOTW WINNER CUP 1!GOTW WINNER CUP 2!GOTW WINNER CUP 3!KlikCast HelperVIP MemberWii OwnerStrawberryPicture Me This Round 28 Winner!PS3 OwnerI am an April Fool
Candy Cane
5th May, 2008 at 15:43:26 -


Originally Posted by Flava
Yeh, but this thread is about GTA IV - which isn't on the Wii.
So stay on topic



You should still et a Wii, though

 
n/a

-Liam-

Cake Addict

Registered
  06/12/2008
Points
  531

Wii OwnerIt's-a me, Mario!Hero of TimeStrawberry
5th May, 2008 at 16:42:03 -

Let's all eat some beef, go crazy and buy a Wii.

 
Image

Tell 'em Babs is 'ere...

Flava



Registered
  30/07/2002
Points
  684

Has Donated, Thank You!Code MonkeyVIP MemberThe Cake is a LieThe Spinster
5th May, 2008 at 17:27:35 -


Originally Posted by -Slink-
So erm... Has anyone encountered and hidden packages on GTA IV? I've found nothing as of yet...



Hidden packages are now pigeons which are sat somewhere all over the city. You have to shoot them to get them, and there are 200 altogether. There are 2 of them sat on the 'statue of liberty' to start you off. Just shoot them with a sniper

And I don't need to buy a Wii because my friend has one and I just play the best games on his!

 
This is a signature. Have this one on me.

Phredreeke

Don't listen to this idiot

Registered
  03/08/2002
Points
  4504

You've Been Circy'd!VIP MemberPS3 Owner
6th May, 2008 at 02:23:11 -

I have a Wii... Was fun at first, then I just used to to play through Soul Calibur 2 for the THIRD TIME (at least Nintendo got the best backwards compatibility of this generation). Then I didn't play anything on it for months until Super Mario Galaxy was released, which kicked ass. Then once I beat it (ok, I never started the Luigi game) the Wii was in the same old situation, getting no loving from me Then fastforward some more months until Mario Kart Wii was released, and I'm having fun with the Wii again. I played it through once on 50cc unlocking all levels. It's more fun with more people around, so I tend to play it when my nephews are here. Unless we're playing Call of Duty 4 (though obviously not on Wii), teaching them the art of warfare. I just wrote that last bit so some lamer would go "NUUUUUUUU! YOURE MAKING THEM MURDERERS!"


Regarding GTA4... I think I said in another thread already, but I've never quite gotten into the GTA series. I've never gotten into any open-ended game actually...

 
- Ok, you must admit that was the most creative cussing this site have ever seen -

Make some more box arts damnit!
http://create-games.com/forum_post.asp?id=285363

SoldjahBoy



Registered
  25/10/2006
Points
  100
12th May, 2008 at 01:59:21 -

GTA IV is pretty sweet all round... I've had my collectors edition copy since the 25th of last month (yes I know it didn't come out until the 28th, but I own a computer store so I got mine early ).

Fantastic game so far... a good all rounder when it comes to overall gameplay, storyline, and graphics.

For those of you having the freezing issues in the Ps3 version, the new patch should fix that along with any performance issues (if you have the 60gb version of the console). The Ps3 version is only 630p because the game was so far behind in production they had to leave a lot of stuff out... hopefully this will get updated with patching. And the last thing is, the reason it installs content on the hard drive is because the loading times would be HORRIBLE if it didn't... it's not about lack of space on the disc or anything (they can hold 50gb+) it's more to do with loading times.

In addition to the "flying rats" there are also the classic "stunt jumps" that are back... find them all for bonuses

So far one of my favourite things to do in the game when I get bored is to watch TV in the apartment... there is hours of shows and strange commercials to watch across 3 channels... have fun

 
What's wrong with pillow shading? O.o

Dr. James MD

Addict

Registered
  08/12/2003
Points
  11941

First GOTW AwardSecond GOTW AwardThird GOTW AwardPicture Me This -Round 26- Winner!
12th May, 2008 at 03:53:07 -

But it's not just GTA IV. Condemned, Jehrico, Darkness all run at 576p which is just progressive scan SDTV in Europe. I don't think a patch is going to fix that

 
Image
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j--8iXVv2_U
On the sixth day God created Manchester
"You gotta get that sand out your vaj!" x13
www.bossbaddie.com

Phredreeke

Don't listen to this idiot

Registered
  03/08/2002
Points
  4504

You've Been Circy'd!VIP MemberPS3 Owner
12th May, 2008 at 14:35:27 -


Originally Posted by Dr. James
But it's not just GTA IV. Condemned, Jehrico, Darkness all run at 576p which is just progressive scan SDTV in Europe. I don't think a patch is going to fix that



Yeah, pathetic that a game for a next gen system outputs barely above SDTV.

 
- Ok, you must admit that was the most creative cussing this site have ever seen -

Make some more box arts damnit!
http://create-games.com/forum_post.asp?id=285363

Dr. James MD

Addict

Registered
  08/12/2003
Points
  11941

First GOTW AwardSecond GOTW AwardThird GOTW AwardPicture Me This -Round 26- Winner!
12th May, 2008 at 15:11:30 -

When it was advertised as being a supercomputer of a console, outputting everything in dual 1080p60 then yea. Absolutely. It's barely higher than the Wii, infact with a good enough progressive upscaler the Wii also outputs at 576p

 
Image
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j--8iXVv2_U
On the sixth day God created Manchester
"You gotta get that sand out your vaj!" x13
www.bossbaddie.com

SoldjahBoy



Registered
  25/10/2006
Points
  100
12th May, 2008 at 19:24:14 -

The Wii is 480p MAXIMUM. End of story. You can't make it bigger without upscaling it which looks crap and it losses definition because of non bilinear pixel doubling. The PS3 is capable of 1080p easily, it's just that nobody can program for the bloody thing properly yet... Besides, its not the screen resolution that makes a game... even though Wii is at 480p it has some great looking and fun to play games on it. Resolution is just about the "who has the biggest d**k competition". I really couldn't care less anyway, I still have a standard crappy CRT television and it works just fine... in fact I plugged my friends PS3 into my crap-o-vision on the weekend and it looks better than his LCD because I don't get to see all the jaggedy vertex's. A combination of the downscale and the blurry pixels on a standard telly gave GTA that wholesome glow it always had, and the graphics didn't look any different! I could still drive and shoot just fine and everything looked the same, just smoother and not quite as gigantic.

 
What's wrong with pillow shading? O.o

Ski

TDC is my stress ball

Registered
  13/03/2005
Points
  10130

GOTW WINNER CUP 1!GOTW WINNER CUP 2!GOTW WINNER CUP 3!KlikCast HelperVIP MemberWii OwnerStrawberryPicture Me This Round 28 Winner!PS3 OwnerI am an April Fool
Candy Cane
12th May, 2008 at 19:42:06 -

To be honest, I don't know why people take it upon themselves to fight over which is the best console just STFU and play on your console and be happy.

 
n/a

Dr. James MD

Addict

Registered
  08/12/2003
Points
  11941

First GOTW AwardSecond GOTW AwardThird GOTW AwardPicture Me This -Round 26- Winner!
12th May, 2008 at 20:31:21 -

Well that's certainly odd, my Wii can output at 576i and thanks to our mega TV's upscaler makes it progressive. Even my 2 year old USB DVB-T receiver upscales a regular 576i TV signal to progressive scan

I didn't know Konami, Rockstar and Free Radical couldn't code.

And yes Adam, it's more a laugh at all these PS3/360 fans who used to ramble on about how resolution did used to matter. Suddenly, especially from Sony fans, it's no big deal. I'm more content with Mario Kart than anything else right now

Image Edited by the Author.

 
Image
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j--8iXVv2_U
On the sixth day God created Manchester
"You gotta get that sand out your vaj!" x13
www.bossbaddie.com

-Liam-

Cake Addict

Registered
  06/12/2008
Points
  531

Wii OwnerIt's-a me, Mario!Hero of TimeStrawberry
12th May, 2008 at 21:37:23 -


Originally Posted by -Adam-
To be honest, I don't know why people take it upon themselves to fight over which is the best console just STFU and play on your console and be happy.


AT LAST, SOMEONE WHO AGREES WITH ME!

 
Image

Tell 'em Babs is 'ere...

AndyUK

Mascot Maniac

Registered
  01/08/2002
Points
  14446

Game of the Week WinnerSecond GOTW AwardHas Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
12th May, 2008 at 22:08:03 -


Originally Posted by -Adam-
To be honest, I don't know why people take it upon themselves to fight over which is the best console just STFU and play on your console and be happy.



It's ok to talk about facts. But when people start making stuff up to make their purchase sound better it starts to turn into fanboyism.

I'm not aiming that at anyone btw

 
.

Flava



Registered
  30/07/2002
Points
  684

Has Donated, Thank You!Code MonkeyVIP MemberThe Cake is a LieThe Spinster
13th May, 2008 at 03:33:58 -

The whole resolution talk is a load of crap anyway - the resolution of a game depends upon the programmer, not the console. Both PS3, 360 and Wii games come at different resolutions. The resolution of a game simply depends on the developers and what the game itself can manage on that particular console. I played GTA IV on 360 and PS3 the other day (at a console LAN party, if you're wondering), side by side, and the resolutions looked exactly the same to my eye. Sure there are reports the PS3 version has a lower resolution (haven't seen any proof of that though), but they generally look the same.

The fact is, when Halo 3 was released, Sony fanboys where delighted with the whole resolution thing. Now 360 fanboys are doing the same with GTA IV. But none of you are fanboys, right?


Originally Posted by Dr. James
LOL!

(3 more words)



Oh, nevermind.

Image Edited by an Administrator.

 
This is a signature. Have this one on me.

Dr. James MD

Addict

Registered
  08/12/2003
Points
  11941

First GOTW AwardSecond GOTW AwardThird GOTW AwardPicture Me This -Round 26- Winner!
13th May, 2008 at 03:41:43 -


Originally Posted by Phizzy

Originally Posted by Captain Andyman
It's ok to talk about facts. But when people start making stuff up to make their purchase sound better it starts to turn into fanboyism.

I'm not aiming that at anyone btw



I'd say you'd be alright aiming it at Jay.



So I was wrong with them resolutions, hmm?


Also, Free Radical haven't even released anything this generation yet... Are you just attacking them because they're making a PS3-exclusive game?



Haze is running at 1024x576 with no anti-aliasing...

 
Image
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j--8iXVv2_U
On the sixth day God created Manchester
"You gotta get that sand out your vaj!" x13
www.bossbaddie.com

Flava



Registered
  30/07/2002
Points
  684

Has Donated, Thank You!Code MonkeyVIP MemberThe Cake is a LieThe Spinster
13th May, 2008 at 03:50:56 -


Originally Posted by Dr. James

Originally Posted by Phizzy

Originally Posted by Captain Andyman
It's ok to talk about facts. But when people start making stuff up to make their purchase sound better it starts to turn into fanboyism.

I'm not aiming that at anyone btw



I'd say you'd be alright aiming it at Jay.



So I was wrong with them resolutions, hmm?


Also, Free Radical haven't even released anything this generation yet... Are you just attacking them because they're making a PS3-exclusive game?



Haze is running at 1024x576 with no anti-aliasing...



Haze hasn't been released yet.
Unless you're referring to the demo, in which case you should have stated.

 
This is a signature. Have this one on me.

Phredreeke

Don't listen to this idiot

Registered
  03/08/2002
Points
  4504

You've Been Circy'd!VIP MemberPS3 Owner
13th May, 2008 at 04:57:59 -


Originally Posted by SoldjahBoy
The PS3 is capable of 1080p easily, it's just that nobody can program for the bloody thing properly yet...



There's a difference between capable of 1080p and capable of making 1080p look good.

One of the best looking games this gen IMO is Call of Duty 4, and it runs at 1024x600 on both 360 and PS3. Compare this game with FIFA Street 3 which do run at 1920x1080 (full 1080p resolution) with players that look like they're taken from a PS2 game.

 
- Ok, you must admit that was the most creative cussing this site have ever seen -

Make some more box arts damnit!
http://create-games.com/forum_post.asp?id=285363

Flava



Registered
  30/07/2002
Points
  684

Has Donated, Thank You!Code MonkeyVIP MemberThe Cake is a LieThe Spinster
13th May, 2008 at 06:11:01 -

Phred is right. As far as I am aware, the better a game looks, the harder it is to output it at higher resolutions. COD4 has awesome graphics, but would probably slow down a lot if the resolution was higher. It's common sense I guess - the same happens with Steam games (changing the resolution to a higher one often leads to a drop in FPS, depending on hardware).

 
This is a signature. Have this one on me.

AndyUK

Mascot Maniac

Registered
  01/08/2002
Points
  14446

Game of the Week WinnerSecond GOTW AwardHas Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
13th May, 2008 at 10:46:20 -

The psone was capable of 640x480 (or even higher if i recall) but as we all know very few games took advantage of that because it was just too hard to make a game look good enough with that resolution. (i mean most games had to be 25/30 fps to get a half decent amount of polygons on screen)

It's the same story now with the current generation. Although 1080p is one of the features that appears on the list of specs that doesn't mean games will take advantage on either 360 or ps3.

 
.

Phredreeke

Don't listen to this idiot

Registered
  03/08/2002
Points
  4504

You've Been Circy'd!VIP MemberPS3 Owner
13th May, 2008 at 11:44:51 -


Originally Posted by Captain Andyman
The psone was capable of 640x480 (or even higher if i recall) but as we all know very few games took advantage of that because it was just too hard to make a game look good enough with that resolution. (i mean most games had to be 25/30 fps to get a half decent amount of polygons on screen)

It's the same story now with the current generation. Although 1080p is one of the features that appears on the list of specs that doesn't mean games will take advantage on either 360 or ps3.



1080p on the box means nothing.

The developer could have rendered at 1280x720 or lower and then used a software scaler for PS3 or the 360's built-in scaler to bring it up to 1080p.
On PS3, some games render the full 1080 lines, but at reduced horizontal resolution.
On PS3, using the 1080i/p mode disables anti-aliasing in some games.

 
- Ok, you must admit that was the most creative cussing this site have ever seen -

Make some more box arts damnit!
http://create-games.com/forum_post.asp?id=285363

Phredreeke

Don't listen to this idiot

Registered
  03/08/2002
Points
  4504

You've Been Circy'd!VIP MemberPS3 Owner
13th May, 2008 at 15:53:27 -


Originally Posted by Dr. James
When it was advertised as being a supercomputer of a console, outputting everything in dual 1080p60 then yea. Absolutely. It's barely higher than the Wii, infact with a good enough progressive upscaler the Wii also outputs at 576p



Wii doesn't outputs 576p. It outputs 576i. It's the deinterlacer which makes it 576p. And you know, the megadrive outputs 576i when playing Sonic 2 in splitscreen mode. You could feed that to a deinterlacer, and get a 576p signal too.

So by your definition the megadrive is also a 576p system

 
- Ok, you must admit that was the most creative cussing this site have ever seen -

Make some more box arts damnit!
http://create-games.com/forum_post.asp?id=285363

Dr. James MD

Addict

Registered
  08/12/2003
Points
  11941

First GOTW AwardSecond GOTW AwardThird GOTW AwardPicture Me This -Round 26- Winner!
13th May, 2008 at 16:06:04 -


Originally Posted by Phizzy

I was referring to your 'WII OUTPUTS 576P, THAT'S 2X BETTER THAN PS3!!' nonsense.



Where on earth did I say that? I just said on my TV I'm playing the Wii in 576p, nothing about it being double the PS3...

Phred - of course. I'm not saying everyone is going to be playing 576p Wii games. It's all down to the deinterlacer reverse telecining or whatever the magic it does.

 
Image
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j--8iXVv2_U
On the sixth day God created Manchester
"You gotta get that sand out your vaj!" x13
www.bossbaddie.com

SoldjahBoy



Registered
  25/10/2006
Points
  100
13th May, 2008 at 21:04:10 -

Just a few fun facts for everyone:

FACT: The Wii's maximum "P" (pure) resolution is 480... "I" (interlaced) is whatever the programmers choose to make it. The video hardware is simply not capable of anything higher.

FACT: The PS3 is based on non-X86 technology, and therefore has a completely new and unexplored method of hardware utilisation. Basically, because Sony are crap and didn't release a proper SDK for the console, the game developers were left to figure it out all by themselves... so yes (whoever asked) Konami and Rockstar cannot program (for a PS3), nobody can yet.

FACT: The xbox360 is still based on X86 technology and comes with a very comprehensive SDK... this is mainly why games tend to look better and have higher resolutions (and come standard with VAA) than comparing them to the PS3.

FACT: GTA4 on PS3 is the same resolution as the 360 version, it (the PS3 version) just doesnt have VAA (vertex anti aliasing) therefore it looks "jagged" and gives the feeling of a lower resolution.

FACT: anyone who calls someone else a fanboy directly, is in fact themselves a fanboy.

In closing, each console has it's charm... the Wii can be likened to a hyperactive terrier that humps your leg and can get rather exhausting after a few hours of playing with it. The PS3 is the solid big black dog, loyal and faithful, though a bit slow and retarded seems to stand by you at all times. The 360 is easily the most well rounded system that only on occasion pisses itself and dies.

 
What's wrong with pillow shading? O.o

Phredreeke

Don't listen to this idiot

Registered
  03/08/2002
Points
  4504

You've Been Circy'd!VIP MemberPS3 Owner
14th May, 2008 at 03:06:46 -


Originally Posted by SoldjahBoy
Just a few fun facts for everyone:

FACT: The Wii's maximum "P" (pure) resolution is 480... "I" (interlaced) is whatever the programmers choose to make it. The video hardware is simply not capable of anything higher.



Correct. Have a gold star!

Originally Posted by SoldjahBoy

FACT: The PS3 is based on non-X86 technology, and therefore has a completely new and unexplored method of hardware utilisation. Basically, because Sony are crap and didn't release a proper SDK for the console, the game developers were left to figure it out all by themselves... so yes (whoever asked) Konami and Rockstar cannot program (for a PS3), nobody can yet.



The PS3 uses the Cell, which is a new technology. You seem to have the impression that x86-technology is the "standard". In fact x86-technology is rare among video game consoles. The original Xbox is the only one I can think of that used it.

Originally Posted by SoldjahBoy
FACT: The xbox360 is still based on X86 technology and comes with a very comprehensive SDK... this is mainly why games tend to look better and have higher resolutions (and come standard with VAA) than comparing them to the PS3.



FALSE! The Xbox 360 uses PowerPC technology. But PowerPC is a fairly well known technology (and the PS3's cell is a derivate of PowerPC technology). The graphical capability isn't due to the CPU though, but the GPU. I hope I'm not stepping on someone's toes now but the 360 GPU is simply more powerful than the one in the PS3.

Originally Posted by SoldjahBoy
FACT: GTA4 on PS3 is the same resolution as the 360 version, it (the PS3 version) just doesnt have VAA (vertex anti aliasing) therefore it looks "jagged" and gives the feeling of a lower resolution.



Lots of sources (EuroGamer, Quaz at Beyond3D) say it's 640p...

 
- Ok, you must admit that was the most creative cussing this site have ever seen -

Make some more box arts damnit!
http://create-games.com/forum_post.asp?id=285363

Dr. James MD

Addict

Registered
  08/12/2003
Points
  11941

First GOTW AwardSecond GOTW AwardThird GOTW AwardPicture Me This -Round 26- Winner!
14th May, 2008 at 03:14:20 -


Originally Posted by SoldjahBoy
Just a few fun facts for everyone:

FACT: The Wii's maximum "P" (pure) resolution is 480... "I" (interlaced) is whatever the programmers choose to make it. The video hardware is simply not capable of anything higher.



This is true. The Wii's highest output interlaced resolution is 576 as well.


FACT: The PS3 is based on non-X86 technology, and therefore has a completely new and unexplored method of hardware utilisation. Basically, because Sony are crap and didn't release a proper SDK for the console, the game developers were left to figure it out all by themselves... so yes (whoever asked) Konami and Rockstar cannot program (for a PS3), nobody can yet.



Unfact. The Cell is a PPC based chip. So was the Gamecube, so is the Wii and Xbox 360. PPc chips have also been used for PC's and Macs for years. Infact the only directly (and "popular") X86 console in recent years was the Xbox 1. PS2 used a MIPS based CPU.


FACT: The xbox360 is still based on X86 technology and comes with a very comprehensive SDK... this is mainly why games tend to look better and have higher resolutions (and come standard with VAA) than comparing them to the PS3.



Donut lie The Xbox 360 Xenon is a PPC based chip, aka it's not X86 in any way, shape or form. From teh wiki' "The processor, internally codenamed "Waternoose" by IBM[1] and "XCPU" by Microsoft, is based on IBM's PowerPC technology, consisting of 3 independent cores on a single chip."


FACT: GTA4 on PS3 is the same resolution as the 360 version, it (the PS3 version) just doesnt have VAA (vertex anti aliasing) therefore it looks "jagged" and gives the feeling of a lower resolution.



Xbox version is 720p PS3 is 630p Google it, or run it on a screen that doesn't upscale resolution and view the display details


In closing, each console has it's charm... the Wii can be likened to a hyperactive terrier that humps your leg and can get rather exhausting after a few hours of playing with it. The PS3 is the solid big black dog, loyal and faithful, though a bit slow and retarded seems to stand by you at all times. The 360 is easily the most well rounded system that only on occasion pisses itself and dies.



Why did you copy Yahtzee

 
Image
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j--8iXVv2_U
On the sixth day God created Manchester
"You gotta get that sand out your vaj!" x13
www.bossbaddie.com

Smeggy

The Smegster

Registered
  08/01/2003
Points
  1062

VIP Member
14th May, 2008 at 11:21:49 -

Speaking of which; Yahtzee recently reviewed GTAIV over at Zero Punctuation.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/4902-Zero-Punctuation-Grand-Theft-Auto-IV

Image Edited by the Author.

 
http://www.klik-union.com

AndyUK

Mascot Maniac

Registered
  01/08/2002
Points
  14446

Game of the Week WinnerSecond GOTW AwardHas Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
14th May, 2008 at 13:39:11 -


Originally Posted by SoldjahBoy
Just a few fun facts for everyone:
FACT: anyone who calls someone else a fanboy directly, is in fact themselves a fanboy.



I disagree.

 
.

Johnny Look

One Happy Dude

Registered
  14/05/2006
Points
  2942

VIP Member
14th May, 2008 at 15:38:10 -

PC pwns
word word (I'm REALLY tired of this 4 words rule)

 
n/a

SoldjahBoy



Registered
  25/10/2006
Points
  100
14th May, 2008 at 20:45:41 -

@Phredreeke

My bad, Power PC not X86... essentially what I was getting at was that (though older consoles were not X86 or Power PC based) it was familiar territory when it came to writing software for it. The PS3 cpu architecture on the other hand makes coding a nightmare when it comes to figuring out how to use the separate parallel cores to do the same job they used to do with a single core. Also I wasn't referring to graphical output specifically, just output in general, but having said that... the GPU can only process what information it has been given via the cpu instruction. If the cpu is not being utilized correctly it creates massive bottlenecks in the system and causes sacrifice to say, graphics. The cell CPU can effectively emulate the video nearly as good as the GPU alone... if only "they" could figure out how to use it.

@Dr. James

Unfact? lol... I have to remember that one it made me giggle
Well, you aren't really correct either... the cell is not in fact PPC based at all. The closest the cell came to being PPC based was the fact it was designed on a PPC4 chip. Also, cell technology hasn't been used for years in anything... it was only designed in 2000 and prototyped I believe in 2001. The cell was built to bridge the gap between current cpu designs, and the more optimized gpu designs, and therefore coding for the instruction sets is VERY different to what any conventional x86 or otherwise franchise is used to.

And yes I was wrong about the 360 being x86 based... pretty much I was just getting at the point I reiterated to Phredreeke

And about the resolution of GTA... I'll be damned
From what I was keeping up with during development it was meant to be the same on both consoles, but I guess seeing as the PS3 version was so delayed the 360 got some extras as well? I dunno, but it's hard to tell the difference anyway apart from the PS3's lack of VAA (horrible!).

Why quote Yahtzee? Because he is the greatest man alive
I was waiting to see if someone picked it!

 
What's wrong with pillow shading? O.o

Dr. James MD

Addict

Registered
  08/12/2003
Points
  11941

First GOTW AwardSecond GOTW AwardThird GOTW AwardPicture Me This -Round 26- Winner!
15th May, 2008 at 03:40:15 -

"Cell combines a general-purpose Power Architecture core of modest performance with streamlined coprocessing elements which greatly accelerate multimedia and vector processing applications, as well as many other forms of dedicated computation."

The problem of coding with the Cell are the SPEs and utilising them correctly. Personally I think it was a daft move since the 360 is much easier to develop for and doesn't have a radically different CPU for anyone who has worked with PPC in the past. Unless there is some magic benefit that hasn't been shown yet.

 
Image
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j--8iXVv2_U
On the sixth day God created Manchester
"You gotta get that sand out your vaj!" x13
www.bossbaddie.com

Flava



Registered
  30/07/2002
Points
  684

Has Donated, Thank You!Code MonkeyVIP MemberThe Cake is a LieThe Spinster
15th May, 2008 at 03:54:04 -

Yawwn.

So has anybody finished GTA IV yet? What did you think?

Image Edited by an Administrator.

 
This is a signature. Have this one on me.

AndyUK

Mascot Maniac

Registered
  01/08/2002
Points
  14446

Game of the Week WinnerSecond GOTW AwardHas Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
15th May, 2008 at 10:50:44 -

Ive not bought it yet, but no doubt it will be my next ps3 purchase.

 
.

SoldjahBoy



Registered
  25/10/2006
Points
  100
16th May, 2008 at 01:50:33 -

@ Dr. James
This is precisely what I am talking about, and agree with you 100%. It's a shame they (Sony) took such a risk just to have a "more powerful CPU" but ONLY if you know how to use it? "On paper" the cell sh*ts on conventional X86/PPC technology, but nobody can understand how the damn thing works!

@ Flava
Haven't finished it yet... been taking my time finding all the little secrets and just messing around... I haven't been just churning through the missions. I have only recently gained access to the second part of the city. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the storyline though, it's getting very interesting!

 
What's wrong with pillow shading? O.o

AndyUK

Mascot Maniac

Registered
  01/08/2002
Points
  14446

Game of the Week WinnerSecond GOTW AwardHas Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
16th May, 2008 at 12:06:27 -

It's pretty strange to say no one knows how to code for the ps3 when, you know... people are making games for it.
It's not like there are loads of crap games for the ps3 either. I'd say most developers whose games ive played have done a pretty decent job with it.

 
.

The Chris Street

Administrator
Unspeakably Lazy Admin

Registered
  14/05/2002
Points
  50117

Game of the Week WinnerClickzine StaffAcoders MemberKlikCast StarVIP MemberPicture Me This Round 35 Winner!Second GOTW AwardYou've Been Circy'd!Picture Me This Round 38 Winner!GOTM December Third Place!!
I am an April FoolKliktober Special Award Tag
16th May, 2008 at 17:41:18 -

Hello?

Um... GTA4 topic??

 
n/a

AndyUK

Mascot Maniac

Registered
  01/08/2002
Points
  14446

Game of the Week WinnerSecond GOTW AwardHas Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
16th May, 2008 at 19:16:58 -


Originally Posted by Phizzy
We mean people can't code for PS3's specific strengths. People are trying to code for it the same way they code for PC and 360 and it's producing inferior games.



I know,
however that could be down to the fact that most companies don't want to spend time and money writing a multiformat game from scratch when it's easier to port over the code and get a fairly competent game on both consoles.

Actually the games don't appear to be all that inferior to me, although the only multi format game i own, Call of duty 4 is an exception anyway.

 
.

Phredreeke

Don't listen to this idiot

Registered
  03/08/2002
Points
  4504

You've Been Circy'd!VIP MemberPS3 Owner
17th May, 2008 at 04:00:34 -

Maybe we should have a PS3 vs. 360 topic? But there's the risk that such a topic would invite flame wars...

 
- Ok, you must admit that was the most creative cussing this site have ever seen -

Make some more box arts damnit!
http://create-games.com/forum_post.asp?id=285363

AndyUK

Mascot Maniac

Registered
  01/08/2002
Points
  14446

Game of the Week WinnerSecond GOTW AwardHas Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
17th May, 2008 at 09:59:47 -


Originally Posted by Phizzy
You have the Orange Box Andy, even I know that and I'm NOT YOU.



oh yeah i forgot about that. The ps3 version was made by a different team though, right?

 
.

Phredreeke

Don't listen to this idiot

Registered
  03/08/2002
Points
  4504

You've Been Circy'd!VIP MemberPS3 Owner
17th May, 2008 at 13:23:46 -


Originally Posted by Captain Andyman

Originally Posted by Phizzy
You have the Orange Box Andy, even I know that and I'm NOT YOU.



oh yeah i forgot about that. The ps3 version was made by a different team though, right?



Yup cause Valve hates the PS3

 
- Ok, you must admit that was the most creative cussing this site have ever seen -

Make some more box arts damnit!
http://create-games.com/forum_post.asp?id=285363

-Liam-

Cake Addict

Registered
  06/12/2008
Points
  531

Wii OwnerIt's-a me, Mario!Hero of TimeStrawberry
17th May, 2008 at 13:38:58 -

Console wars are silly, just like OS wars are.

People like different consoles for different reasons

 
Image

Tell 'em Babs is 'ere...

SoldjahBoy



Registered
  25/10/2006
Points
  100
17th May, 2008 at 21:21:50 -

First off I want to say "sorry" to anyone I misquote or if I forgot who said "quoted text". I hate misquoting people but there was so much good info I want to elaborate on for the sake of great justice!

As far as coding goes for the PS3, (I think it was Andy) made a point about developers obviously being able to code for it, otherwise they couldn't make games... I guess what we (Phizzy and myself and a couple of others (sorry!)) are trying to say is, yes they CAN code for the console, just not "properly". In other words, they are not reaching anywhere near the potential of the system.

A big thanks to the person that posted the killzone game play... this is the kind of game that is really using the cell properly, and games like this will only become more frequent and get better and better. I suggest looking at the demo of "Mirrors Edge" for PS3... the graphics and atmospheric volume is fantastic!

Another person commented on how learning to program "properly" for the PS3 would simply cost too much, and you are unfortunately right. This is one major reason games have been mediocre or substandard, or "inferior" in termed relationship to the comparative potential of the console. The games themselves are not "inferior" when looking at the game itself, as a game... but inferior towards "what could have been" if only cell was easier to understand.

Taking GTA 4 as a prime example of this... on both consoles (360 and PS3) the game has its issues. The 360 has a little bit of "chugginess" (slow-down) in places, has missing textures at times while driving along at high speed, and the pop-up... oh mai gawd teh pop-up! The PS3 version suffers REALLY bad slow-down in places, and up until the patch had freezing problems on a lot of peoples consoles... it also suffers bad pop-up and weird "world anomalies" where certain things in the world just stay there and never reset. Now, if Rockstar had enough time, patience, and money they could have made the game separately for each console, and it would have no doubt been 100% better in BOTH cases... but who the heck has the time for that?

Again, in the words of a previous poster (bad quote from memory about to happen) "You will only see the best games when they are exclusive releases." or something to that effect. This is pretty much true because of the fact all of the systems work so differently from each other these days, cross platforming is becoming a hindrance in the quality of final releases, not to mention the hold-ups in development. As they fix something in one console, it breaks something on the other... I think in the future (by next gen) we will start seeing either a lot more separation in development (going exclusive), or game developers starting to make two completely different versions of the same game for each console.

Sorry again if I missed anyone out or got confused with who-said-what etc. Also sorry if post was a bit TL;DR.

Cheers!

~Sol

*EDIT*
Also Phredreeke... I think a "Console Comparison" thread would be cool as long as it stayed as a proper debate and not some troll/flame filled pile of crap. I really like comparing the technical aspects of each machine and really getting to the core of it all. You can really learn a lot about things you didn't know that much about, and even learn thing about something you thought you already knew EVERYTHING about. It's you guys call though... I know I'm mature enough to hold a proper debate/conversation about something like this, but I haven't really been active here long enough to know how others may react/post.

Image Edited by the Author.

 
What's wrong with pillow shading? O.o

Ski

TDC is my stress ball

Registered
  13/03/2005
Points
  10130

GOTW WINNER CUP 1!GOTW WINNER CUP 2!GOTW WINNER CUP 3!KlikCast HelperVIP MemberWii OwnerStrawberryPicture Me This Round 28 Winner!PS3 OwnerI am an April Fool
Candy Cane
17th May, 2008 at 21:43:30 -

Please don't post such provocative comments.

 
n/a

Ski

TDC is my stress ball

Registered
  13/03/2005
Points
  10130

GOTW WINNER CUP 1!GOTW WINNER CUP 2!GOTW WINNER CUP 3!KlikCast HelperVIP MemberWii OwnerStrawberryPicture Me This Round 28 Winner!PS3 OwnerI am an April Fool
Candy Cane
17th May, 2008 at 21:49:29 -

You've just been allowed back onto TDC, yet few people actually wonder why you get banned? If you were truly so "clever" you'd perhaps learn from your past mistakes and drop the attitude towards fellow TDC members, it doesn't make this place a very pleasant place to visit.

 
n/a

Pixelthief

Dedicated klik scientist

Registered
  02/01/2002
Points
  3419

Game of the Week WinnerWeekly Picture Me This Winner!You've Been Circy'd!VIP MemberI like Aliens!Evil klikerThe SpinsterI donated an open source project
17th May, 2008 at 21:57:04 -

You two need more
Image
In your diets

 
Gridquest V2.00 is out!!
http://www.create-games.com/download.asp?id=7456

Ricky

loves Left For Dead 2

Registered
  28/12/2006
Points
  4175

Has Donated, Thank You!Game of the Week WinnerVIP MemberWii OwnerHero of TimeGOTM Winner! - November 2009I am an April Fool
17th May, 2008 at 23:48:01 -

Red meat Image


 
-

Phredreeke

Don't listen to this idiot

Registered
  03/08/2002
Points
  4504

You've Been Circy'd!VIP MemberPS3 Owner
18th May, 2008 at 04:16:06 -


Originally Posted by Phizzy
^ Here's another 'person like Jay'.



Hahaha. BEST... POST... EVER!

 
- Ok, you must admit that was the most creative cussing this site have ever seen -

Make some more box arts damnit!
http://create-games.com/forum_post.asp?id=285363

AndyUK

Mascot Maniac

Registered
  01/08/2002
Points
  14446

Game of the Week WinnerSecond GOTW AwardHas Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
18th May, 2008 at 09:40:08 -

Phizzy is a total PS3 fanboy lolz

 
.

Phredreeke

Don't listen to this idiot

Registered
  03/08/2002
Points
  4504

You've Been Circy'd!VIP MemberPS3 Owner
18th May, 2008 at 11:11:33 -


Originally Posted by Captain Andyman
Phizzy is a total PS3 fanboy lolz



That doesn't go well with the fact that he also got a 360.

 
- Ok, you must admit that was the most creative cussing this site have ever seen -

Make some more box arts damnit!
http://create-games.com/forum_post.asp?id=285363

SoldjahBoy



Registered
  25/10/2006
Points
  100
18th May, 2008 at 20:04:56 -


Originally Posted by Captain Andyman
Phizzy is a total PS3 fanboy lolz



Now I know why you didn't agree with one of my previous points

Let's face it... each console has it's pros and cons... Everyone can argue about what they "think" is better for whatever reasons they wish, and that's perfectly normal and healthy. Calling someone a fanboy though, especially if they can back up their argument with facts, is kind of a cheap cop-out.

At the end of the day, the PS3's graphical output is somewhere in the vicinity of 1.8 terraflops per second, while the 360 is sitting at 250 gigaflops... even though that's the "on paper" figures and both consoles are sitting on or below those figures... especially the PS3. Most people's argument is based on the "here and now" when it comes to which console they prefer, where as people like myself look at the longer term potential of a system before considering the purchase of anything.

Admittedly the PS3 may never reach it's intended goal for performance... the PS4 might come out just as everyone is getting used to the coding methods, and the PS3 will end up being a "practice" console for future building blocks... but I hate to say it, but every other console manufacturer will go through the exact same process at one point or another if , no, WHEN, then decide to change to a new architecture and get away from the 32bit bottlenecks of current CPU design.

The low-down for me goes like this:
If you simply like "fun" gadgets, and enjoy anything that moves... buy a Wii... they are a bathtub full of elephants fun. If you want something that's got everything going for it, here and now... (except a warranty or reliability) buy a 360. If you are patient and prepared to wait for something that may never happen, buy a PS3.

Crap Graphics + Super Fun Games = Wii
Great Graphics + Cheap Crappy Parts = Xbox 360
????crap + ????wtf = PS3

In other words, there IS no perfect console, no matter what anyone says... however everyone is entitled to their own opinion... but for the sake of not looking like a "fanboy" at least use some facts to back up your views (not aiming that at anyone!).


 
What's wrong with pillow shading? O.o

Ski

TDC is my stress ball

Registered
  13/03/2005
Points
  10130

GOTW WINNER CUP 1!GOTW WINNER CUP 2!GOTW WINNER CUP 3!KlikCast HelperVIP MemberWii OwnerStrawberryPicture Me This Round 28 Winner!PS3 OwnerI am an April Fool
Candy Cane
18th May, 2008 at 20:52:14 -

"Crap Graphics + Super Fun Games = Wii"


It depends what your idea of "Crap Graphics" is. The Wii may only be graphically capable of doing what the Game Cube did, but I feel the gaming companies have actually really made the most of what they have available and already and pushed the graphical limits of the wii several times.

Image Edited by the Author.

 
n/a

Ricky

loves Left For Dead 2

Registered
  28/12/2006
Points
  4175

Has Donated, Thank You!Game of the Week WinnerVIP MemberWii OwnerHero of TimeGOTM Winner! - November 2009I am an April Fool
18th May, 2008 at 22:08:02 -

Phizzy, most of us don't base our self worth on the graphical capabilities of our consoles. We buy the systems to have fun, and for some people a Wii is fun. You are not a better person for buying a PS3.

 
-

Ricky

loves Left For Dead 2

Registered
  28/12/2006
Points
  4175

Has Donated, Thank You!Game of the Week WinnerVIP MemberWii OwnerHero of TimeGOTM Winner! - November 2009I am an April Fool
19th May, 2008 at 02:08:01 -

yes, sorry, please forgive me

 
-

Ricky

loves Left For Dead 2

Registered
  28/12/2006
Points
  4175

Has Donated, Thank You!Game of the Week WinnerVIP MemberWii OwnerHero of TimeGOTM Winner! - November 2009I am an April Fool
19th May, 2008 at 02:29:23 -

Image


 
-

Phredreeke

Don't listen to this idiot

Registered
  03/08/2002
Points
  4504

You've Been Circy'd!VIP MemberPS3 Owner
19th May, 2008 at 03:51:03 -


Originally Posted by SoldjahBoy
The low-down for me goes like this:
If you simply like "fun" gadgets, and enjoy anything that moves... buy a Wii... they are a bathtub full of elephants fun. If you want something that's got everything going for it, here and now... (except a warranty or reliability) buy a 360. If you are patient and prepared to wait for something that may never happen, buy a PS3.

Crap Graphics + Super Fun Games = Wii
Great Graphics + Cheap Crappy Parts = Xbox 360
????crap + ????wtf = PS3



Super Fun Games? Yeah, Mario Kart Wii is fun. Most Wii games on the other hand does not fit in that description.

The 360 does have a 3 year warranty against RROD. Reliability? It depends on the model you purchase. Don't buy the old refurbed non-HDMI models. Also I'd say the 360 has better games than the Wii.

The PS3 has Blu Ray. That alone makes it worth the purchase for some people. Problem is some developers haven't learned to program effeciently for the Cell.

 
- Ok, you must admit that was the most creative cussing this site have ever seen -

Make some more box arts damnit!
http://create-games.com/forum_post.asp?id=285363

Dr. James MD

Addict

Registered
  08/12/2003
Points
  11941

First GOTW AwardSecond GOTW AwardThird GOTW AwardPicture Me This -Round 26- Winner!
19th May, 2008 at 04:08:38 -

Shrugs. I've had more fun with Wii games than any other console (not including handhelds). Mario Kart (online) is pretty much the only console game that I've played more than an hour on daily.
I like my 360 and that but being primarily a PC gamer I can't fathom paying to play a game online even if it is just 40 a year.

 
Image
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j--8iXVv2_U
On the sixth day God created Manchester
"You gotta get that sand out your vaj!" x13
www.bossbaddie.com

The Chris Street

Administrator
Unspeakably Lazy Admin

Registered
  14/05/2002
Points
  50117

Game of the Week WinnerClickzine StaffAcoders MemberKlikCast StarVIP MemberPicture Me This Round 35 Winner!Second GOTW AwardYou've Been Circy'd!Picture Me This Round 38 Winner!GOTM December Third Place!!
I am an April FoolKliktober Special Award Tag
19th May, 2008 at 12:11:52 -

XBox360 is my primary console of choice... then the Wii... and then the PS3... I've only got three games for that hahaha.

 
n/a

Muz



Registered
  14/02/2002
Points
  6499

VIP MemberI'm on a BoatI am an April FoolHonored Admin Alumnus
19th May, 2008 at 21:31:43 -

Alright, I think this post has gone off topic.

 
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Image

Muz



Registered
  14/02/2002
Points
  6499

VIP MemberI'm on a BoatI am an April FoolHonored Admin Alumnus
19th May, 2008 at 21:31:59 -

Administrative Message: This topic has been locked.

 
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Image
This thread has been locked by an administrator



 



Advertisement

Worth A Click