The Daily Click ::. Forums ::. General Chat ::. Grand Theft Auto IV
 


 

Posted By Message

Dr. James MD

Addict

Registered
  08/12/2003
Points
  11941

First GOTW AwardSecond GOTW AwardThird GOTW AwardPicture Me This -Round 26- Winner!
13th May, 2008 at 16:06:04 -


Originally Posted by Phizzy

I was referring to your 'WII OUTPUTS 576P, THAT'S 2X BETTER THAN PS3!!' nonsense.



Where on earth did I say that? I just said on my TV I'm playing the Wii in 576p, nothing about it being double the PS3...

Phred - of course. I'm not saying everyone is going to be playing 576p Wii games. It's all down to the deinterlacer reverse telecining or whatever the magic it does.

 
Image
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j--8iXVv2_U
On the sixth day God created Manchester
"You gotta get that sand out your vaj!" x13
www.bossbaddie.com

SoldjahBoy



Registered
  25/10/2006
Points
  100
13th May, 2008 at 21:04:10 -

Just a few fun facts for everyone:

FACT: The Wii's maximum "P" (pure) resolution is 480... "I" (interlaced) is whatever the programmers choose to make it. The video hardware is simply not capable of anything higher.

FACT: The PS3 is based on non-X86 technology, and therefore has a completely new and unexplored method of hardware utilisation. Basically, because Sony are crap and didn't release a proper SDK for the console, the game developers were left to figure it out all by themselves... so yes (whoever asked) Konami and Rockstar cannot program (for a PS3), nobody can yet.

FACT: The xbox360 is still based on X86 technology and comes with a very comprehensive SDK... this is mainly why games tend to look better and have higher resolutions (and come standard with VAA) than comparing them to the PS3.

FACT: GTA4 on PS3 is the same resolution as the 360 version, it (the PS3 version) just doesnt have VAA (vertex anti aliasing) therefore it looks "jagged" and gives the feeling of a lower resolution.

FACT: anyone who calls someone else a fanboy directly, is in fact themselves a fanboy.

In closing, each console has it's charm... the Wii can be likened to a hyperactive terrier that humps your leg and can get rather exhausting after a few hours of playing with it. The PS3 is the solid big black dog, loyal and faithful, though a bit slow and retarded seems to stand by you at all times. The 360 is easily the most well rounded system that only on occasion pisses itself and dies.

 
What's wrong with pillow shading? O.o

Phredreeke

Don't listen to this idiot

Registered
  03/08/2002
Points
  4504

You've Been Circy'd!VIP MemberPS3 Owner
14th May, 2008 at 03:06:46 -


Originally Posted by SoldjahBoy
Just a few fun facts for everyone:

FACT: The Wii's maximum "P" (pure) resolution is 480... "I" (interlaced) is whatever the programmers choose to make it. The video hardware is simply not capable of anything higher.



Correct. Have a gold star!

Originally Posted by SoldjahBoy

FACT: The PS3 is based on non-X86 technology, and therefore has a completely new and unexplored method of hardware utilisation. Basically, because Sony are crap and didn't release a proper SDK for the console, the game developers were left to figure it out all by themselves... so yes (whoever asked) Konami and Rockstar cannot program (for a PS3), nobody can yet.



The PS3 uses the Cell, which is a new technology. You seem to have the impression that x86-technology is the "standard". In fact x86-technology is rare among video game consoles. The original Xbox is the only one I can think of that used it.

Originally Posted by SoldjahBoy
FACT: The xbox360 is still based on X86 technology and comes with a very comprehensive SDK... this is mainly why games tend to look better and have higher resolutions (and come standard with VAA) than comparing them to the PS3.



FALSE! The Xbox 360 uses PowerPC technology. But PowerPC is a fairly well known technology (and the PS3's cell is a derivate of PowerPC technology). The graphical capability isn't due to the CPU though, but the GPU. I hope I'm not stepping on someone's toes now but the 360 GPU is simply more powerful than the one in the PS3.

Originally Posted by SoldjahBoy
FACT: GTA4 on PS3 is the same resolution as the 360 version, it (the PS3 version) just doesnt have VAA (vertex anti aliasing) therefore it looks "jagged" and gives the feeling of a lower resolution.



Lots of sources (EuroGamer, Quaz at Beyond3D) say it's 640p...

 
- Ok, you must admit that was the most creative cussing this site have ever seen -

Make some more box arts damnit!
http://create-games.com/forum_post.asp?id=285363

Dr. James MD

Addict

Registered
  08/12/2003
Points
  11941

First GOTW AwardSecond GOTW AwardThird GOTW AwardPicture Me This -Round 26- Winner!
14th May, 2008 at 03:14:20 -


Originally Posted by SoldjahBoy
Just a few fun facts for everyone:

FACT: The Wii's maximum "P" (pure) resolution is 480... "I" (interlaced) is whatever the programmers choose to make it. The video hardware is simply not capable of anything higher.



This is true. The Wii's highest output interlaced resolution is 576 as well.


FACT: The PS3 is based on non-X86 technology, and therefore has a completely new and unexplored method of hardware utilisation. Basically, because Sony are crap and didn't release a proper SDK for the console, the game developers were left to figure it out all by themselves... so yes (whoever asked) Konami and Rockstar cannot program (for a PS3), nobody can yet.



Unfact. The Cell is a PPC based chip. So was the Gamecube, so is the Wii and Xbox 360. PPc chips have also been used for PC's and Macs for years. Infact the only directly (and "popular") X86 console in recent years was the Xbox 1. PS2 used a MIPS based CPU.


FACT: The xbox360 is still based on X86 technology and comes with a very comprehensive SDK... this is mainly why games tend to look better and have higher resolutions (and come standard with VAA) than comparing them to the PS3.



Donut lie The Xbox 360 Xenon is a PPC based chip, aka it's not X86 in any way, shape or form. From teh wiki' "The processor, internally codenamed "Waternoose" by IBM[1] and "XCPU" by Microsoft, is based on IBM's PowerPC technology, consisting of 3 independent cores on a single chip."


FACT: GTA4 on PS3 is the same resolution as the 360 version, it (the PS3 version) just doesnt have VAA (vertex anti aliasing) therefore it looks "jagged" and gives the feeling of a lower resolution.



Xbox version is 720p PS3 is 630p Google it, or run it on a screen that doesn't upscale resolution and view the display details


In closing, each console has it's charm... the Wii can be likened to a hyperactive terrier that humps your leg and can get rather exhausting after a few hours of playing with it. The PS3 is the solid big black dog, loyal and faithful, though a bit slow and retarded seems to stand by you at all times. The 360 is easily the most well rounded system that only on occasion pisses itself and dies.



Why did you copy Yahtzee

 
Image
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j--8iXVv2_U
On the sixth day God created Manchester
"You gotta get that sand out your vaj!" x13
www.bossbaddie.com

Smeggy

The Smegster

Registered
  08/01/2003
Points
  1062

VIP Member
14th May, 2008 at 11:21:49 -

Speaking of which; Yahtzee recently reviewed GTAIV over at Zero Punctuation.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/4902-Zero-Punctuation-Grand-Theft-Auto-IV

Image Edited by the Author.

 
http://www.klik-union.com

AndyUK

Mascot Maniac

Registered
  01/08/2002
Points
  14450

Game of the Week WinnerSecond GOTW AwardHas Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
14th May, 2008 at 13:39:11 -


Originally Posted by SoldjahBoy
Just a few fun facts for everyone:
FACT: anyone who calls someone else a fanboy directly, is in fact themselves a fanboy.



I disagree.

 
.

Johnny Look

One Happy Dude

Registered
  14/05/2006
Points
  2942

VIP Member
14th May, 2008 at 15:38:10 -

PC pwns
word word (I'm REALLY tired of this 4 words rule)

 
n/a

SoldjahBoy



Registered
  25/10/2006
Points
  100
14th May, 2008 at 20:45:41 -

@Phredreeke

My bad, Power PC not X86... essentially what I was getting at was that (though older consoles were not X86 or Power PC based) it was familiar territory when it came to writing software for it. The PS3 cpu architecture on the other hand makes coding a nightmare when it comes to figuring out how to use the separate parallel cores to do the same job they used to do with a single core. Also I wasn't referring to graphical output specifically, just output in general, but having said that... the GPU can only process what information it has been given via the cpu instruction. If the cpu is not being utilized correctly it creates massive bottlenecks in the system and causes sacrifice to say, graphics. The cell CPU can effectively emulate the video nearly as good as the GPU alone... if only "they" could figure out how to use it.

@Dr. James

Unfact? lol... I have to remember that one it made me giggle
Well, you aren't really correct either... the cell is not in fact PPC based at all. The closest the cell came to being PPC based was the fact it was designed on a PPC4 chip. Also, cell technology hasn't been used for years in anything... it was only designed in 2000 and prototyped I believe in 2001. The cell was built to bridge the gap between current cpu designs, and the more optimized gpu designs, and therefore coding for the instruction sets is VERY different to what any conventional x86 or otherwise franchise is used to.

And yes I was wrong about the 360 being x86 based... pretty much I was just getting at the point I reiterated to Phredreeke

And about the resolution of GTA... I'll be damned
From what I was keeping up with during development it was meant to be the same on both consoles, but I guess seeing as the PS3 version was so delayed the 360 got some extras as well? I dunno, but it's hard to tell the difference anyway apart from the PS3's lack of VAA (horrible!).

Why quote Yahtzee? Because he is the greatest man alive
I was waiting to see if someone picked it!

 
What's wrong with pillow shading? O.o

Dr. James MD

Addict

Registered
  08/12/2003
Points
  11941

First GOTW AwardSecond GOTW AwardThird GOTW AwardPicture Me This -Round 26- Winner!
15th May, 2008 at 03:40:15 -

"Cell combines a general-purpose Power Architecture core of modest performance with streamlined coprocessing elements which greatly accelerate multimedia and vector processing applications, as well as many other forms of dedicated computation."

The problem of coding with the Cell are the SPEs and utilising them correctly. Personally I think it was a daft move since the 360 is much easier to develop for and doesn't have a radically different CPU for anyone who has worked with PPC in the past. Unless there is some magic benefit that hasn't been shown yet.

 
Image
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j--8iXVv2_U
On the sixth day God created Manchester
"You gotta get that sand out your vaj!" x13
www.bossbaddie.com

Flava



Registered
  30/07/2002
Points
  684

Has Donated, Thank You!Code MonkeyVIP MemberThe Cake is a LieThe Spinster
15th May, 2008 at 03:54:04 -

Yawwn.

So has anybody finished GTA IV yet? What did you think?

Image Edited by an Administrator.

 
This is a signature. Have this one on me.

AndyUK

Mascot Maniac

Registered
  01/08/2002
Points
  14450

Game of the Week WinnerSecond GOTW AwardHas Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
15th May, 2008 at 10:50:44 -

Ive not bought it yet, but no doubt it will be my next ps3 purchase.

 
.

SoldjahBoy



Registered
  25/10/2006
Points
  100
16th May, 2008 at 01:50:33 -

@ Dr. James
This is precisely what I am talking about, and agree with you 100%. It's a shame they (Sony) took such a risk just to have a "more powerful CPU" but ONLY if you know how to use it? "On paper" the cell sh*ts on conventional X86/PPC technology, but nobody can understand how the damn thing works!

@ Flava
Haven't finished it yet... been taking my time finding all the little secrets and just messing around... I haven't been just churning through the missions. I have only recently gained access to the second part of the city. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the storyline though, it's getting very interesting!

 
What's wrong with pillow shading? O.o

AndyUK

Mascot Maniac

Registered
  01/08/2002
Points
  14450

Game of the Week WinnerSecond GOTW AwardHas Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
16th May, 2008 at 12:06:27 -

It's pretty strange to say no one knows how to code for the ps3 when, you know... people are making games for it.
It's not like there are loads of crap games for the ps3 either. I'd say most developers whose games ive played have done a pretty decent job with it.

 
.

The Chris Street

Administrator
Unspeakably Lazy Admin

Registered
  14/05/2002
Points
  50116

Game of the Week WinnerClickzine StaffAcoders MemberKlikCast StarVIP MemberPicture Me This Round 35 Winner!Second GOTW AwardYou've Been Circy'd!Picture Me This Round 38 Winner!GOTM December Third Place!!
I am an April FoolKliktober Special Award Tag
16th May, 2008 at 17:41:18 -

Hello?

Um... GTA4 topic??

 
n/a

AndyUK

Mascot Maniac

Registered
  01/08/2002
Points
  14450

Game of the Week WinnerSecond GOTW AwardHas Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
16th May, 2008 at 19:16:58 -


Originally Posted by Phizzy
We mean people can't code for PS3's specific strengths. People are trying to code for it the same way they code for PC and 360 and it's producing inferior games.



I know,
however that could be down to the fact that most companies don't want to spend time and money writing a multiformat game from scratch when it's easier to port over the code and get a fairly competent game on both consoles.

Actually the games don't appear to be all that inferior to me, although the only multi format game i own, Call of duty 4 is an exception anyway.

 
.
This thread has been locked by an administrator



 



Advertisement

Worth A Click