The Daily Click ::. Forums ::. Digital Works ::. Welcome ladies
 

Post Reply  Post Oekaki 
 

Posted By Message

Eternal Man [EE]

Pitied the FOO

Registered
  18/01/2007
Points
  2976

Game of the Week WinnerHero of TimeLOL SignI am an April Fool
23rd September, 2010 at 19:26:28 -

Hmm, I think the overall body design looks... well, off.
You get the feeling that there are multiple perspectives in the picture.

The head for example. The hair indicates that the character is looking into "the camera", but the eyes indicate that you are watching the character at an angle.
Things like that.

I made two quick variants of your sprite to illustrate what I mean;

Image

The one in the middle is your sprite, the one to the left has the eyes higher (following the hair), the one on the right has the hair follow the eyes.

I also made a few quick touches on the arms and legs.
//EE

 
Eternal Entertainment's Code'n'Art Man

E_E = All Indie


...actually Ell Endie, but whatever.
Image
Image

tetsuya_shino



Registered
  12/08/2004
Points
  491
23rd September, 2010 at 23:16:47 -


Originally Posted by Eternal Man [EE]
Hmm, I think the overall body design looks... well, off.
You get the feeling that there are multiple perspectives in the picture.

The head for example. The hair indicates that the character is looking into "the camera", but the eyes indicate that you are watching the character at an angle.
Things like that.

I made two quick variants of your sprite to illustrate what I mean;

Image

The one in the middle is your sprite, the one to the left has the eyes higher (following the hair), the one on the right has the hair follow the eyes.

I also made a few quick touches on the arms and legs.
//EE



Wow... where to start? "You get the feeling that there are multiple perspectives in the picture." Um, no. There is only one perspective. Forward. The mistakes you think I made are due to the fact I do things differently from how you would. I honestly think your original sprite is rather horrid, but I stuck with it because there aren't a lot of female to choose from.

Also, you totally missed the point. This isn't 'who can draw ED the best', it's 'let me draw your character in my style'. And my style doesn't need corrections. Although maybe looking at my version can help you improve your own original sprite.


@Strife: Wow! This is a really interesting design. I'll take a crack at it after work.

Edited by tetsuya_shino

 
n/a

Ski

TDC is my stress ball

Registered
  13/03/2005
Points
  10130

GOTW WINNER CUP 1!GOTW WINNER CUP 2!GOTW WINNER CUP 3!KlikCast HelperVIP MemberWii OwnerStrawberryPicture Me This Round 28 Winner!PS3 OwnerI am an April Fool
Candy Cane
23rd September, 2010 at 23:27:46 -

Oh god. -.-

word.

 
n/a

Marko

I like you You like you

Registered
  08/05/2008
Points
  2804

Has Donated, Thank You!Game of the Week WinnerVIP Member360 OwnerDos Rules!Happy FellahCrazy EvilI am an April FoolGingerbread House
23rd September, 2010 at 23:35:17 -

I also think that Strife's girl is mega-cool and i envy your talent

 
Image

Subliminal Dreams. . ., daily gaming news and the home of Mooneyman Studios!
www.mooneyman-studios.webs.com

OMC

What a goofball

Registered
  21/05/2007
Points
  3539

KlikCast Musician! Guy with a HatSomewhat CrazyARGH SignLikes TDCHas Donated, Thank You!Retired Admin
23rd September, 2010 at 23:36:49 -

It was just a friendly critique!

You tell him your sprite is not imperfect but just your style, but his is horrid? That hardly seems fair. Feedback in this type of thread isn't unusual, and should probably be welcomed!

Edited by OMC

 

  		
  		

Eternal Man [EE]

Pitied the FOO

Registered
  18/01/2007
Points
  2976

Game of the Week WinnerHero of TimeLOL SignI am an April Fool
23rd September, 2010 at 23:46:59 -


Originally Posted by tetsuya_shino

Originally Posted by Eternal Man [EE]
Hmm, I think the overall body design looks... well, off.
You get the feeling that there are multiple perspectives in the picture.

The head for example. The hair indicates that the character is looking into "the camera", but the eyes indicate that you are watching the character at an angle.
Things like that.

I made two quick variants of your sprite to illustrate what I mean;

Image

The one in the middle is your sprite, the one to the left has the eyes higher (following the hair), the one on the right has the hair follow the eyes.

I also made a few quick touches on the arms and legs.
//EE



Wow... where to start? "You get the feeling that there are multiple perspectives in the picture." Um, no. There is only one perspective. Forward. The mistakes you think I made are due to the fact I do things differently from how you would. I honestly think your original sprite is rather horrid, but I stuck with it because there aren't a lot of female to choose from.

Also, you totally missed the point. This isn't 'who can draw ED the best', it's 'let me draw your character in my style'. And my style doesn't need corrections. Although maybe looking at my version can help you improve your own original sprite.




Well, I'm sorry that you got so very offended. It's hard not to get constructive crit when you end your post with "Anyways, what do you think?", it kinda' implies that you are asking for an opinion about your sprite.

But it's cool, I just think you should relax a bit. You come off as quite 'unstable' of sorts.

Oh, and also, I'm not the author of the ED sprite, I believe Derek Yu is.

Best of luck to you!

//EE

 
Eternal Entertainment's Code'n'Art Man

E_E = All Indie


...actually Ell Endie, but whatever.
Image
Image

Jon Lambert

Administrator
Vaporware Master

Registered
  19/12/2004
Points
  8235

VIP MemberWii OwnerTDC Chat Super UserI am an April FoolSSBB 3265-4741-0937ACCF 3051-1173-8012360 Owner
23rd September, 2010 at 23:47:01 -


Originally Posted by tetsuya_shino
Wow... where to start? "You get the feeling that there are multiple perspectives in the picture." Um, no. There is only one perspective. Forward. The mistakes you think I made are due to the fact I do things differently from how you would. I honestly think your original sprite is rather horrid, but I stuck with it because there aren't a lot of female to choose from.

Also, you totally missed the point. This isn't 'who can draw ED the best', it's 'let me draw your character in my style'. And my style doesn't need corrections. Although maybe looking at my version can help you improve your own original sprite.


@Strife: Wow! This is a really interesting design. I'll take a crack at it after work.

I'm not too sure that you can tell the viewer what he or she does or does not see, as they are the one seeing it. The artist's intent doesn't always come across to the audience as one might like it to. In this case, I do think that it looks like your sprite is less built at different perspectives and more looking down. Eternal Man's versions look like she's looking forward (left sprite) and looking down (right sprite) without conflict.

Eternal Man was just giving a critique on your version of Mia (which isn't Eternal Man's sprite, so I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say he can learn from your version and improve his.) Regardless of the fact that "the mistakes he thinks you made" are because you draw differently, and really, all he said was that he thought it looked off, it doesn't change the fact that it looks odd to him. And maybe you didn't ask for critique on your style, but that doesn't mean you can't still learn from others and possibly improve your style. "And my style doesn't need corrections." and "Although maybe looking at my version can help you improve your own original sprite." are awfully big-headed statements.

But yeah, it is a matter of differing viewpoints and opinions.

 
Sandwich Time!Whoo!

JoyCheck & KeyCheck Widgets
For easy implementation of customizable joystick and keyboard controls.
http://www.create-games.com/download.asp?id=8364

Watermelon876



Registered
  16/04/2009
Points
  27

I am an April FoolVIP Member
24th September, 2010 at 00:21:01 -

What about Xoda Rap from Noitu Love 2?

 
Awesomeness is Watermelon.
*/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
l、゙ ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ
This is Koji. Copy and paste Koji to your sig so he can acheive world domination.

Ski

TDC is my stress ball

Registered
  13/03/2005
Points
  10130

GOTW WINNER CUP 1!GOTW WINNER CUP 2!GOTW WINNER CUP 3!KlikCast HelperVIP MemberWii OwnerStrawberryPicture Me This Round 28 Winner!PS3 OwnerI am an April Fool
Candy Cane
24th September, 2010 at 00:21:06 -

"I'll see if I can redraw her in my style"

I imagined a hand drawn character like those in your signature, not a sprite

 
n/a

Watermelon876



Registered
  16/04/2009
Points
  27

I am an April FoolVIP Member
24th September, 2010 at 00:21:32 -

What about Xoda Rap from Noitu Love 2? Originally by Knojak. It's not my game.

 
Awesomeness is Watermelon.
*/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
l、゙ ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ
This is Koji. Copy and paste Koji to your sig so he can acheive world domination.

Eternal Man [EE]

Pitied the FOO

Registered
  18/01/2007
Points
  2976

Game of the Week WinnerHero of TimeLOL SignI am an April Fool
24th September, 2010 at 01:00:55 -

"Knojak", awesome name!

 
Eternal Entertainment's Code'n'Art Man

E_E = All Indie


...actually Ell Endie, but whatever.
Image
Image

Jon Lambert

Administrator
Vaporware Master

Registered
  19/12/2004
Points
  8235

VIP MemberWii OwnerTDC Chat Super UserI am an April FoolSSBB 3265-4741-0937ACCF 3051-1173-8012360 Owner
24th September, 2010 at 01:21:39 -


Originally Posted by Watermelon876
What about Xoda Rap from Noitu Love 2? Originally by Knojak. It's not my game.

*Konjak. I second this suggestion.

 
Sandwich Time!Whoo!

JoyCheck & KeyCheck Widgets
For easy implementation of customizable joystick and keyboard controls.
http://www.create-games.com/download.asp?id=8364

Strife

Administrator
Der Dairy Crick

Registered
  21/11/2002
Points
  2305

VIP MemberGOTW AWARD! -Astro Dude - part 1 GOTM JULY - 2009 - 3RD PLACE!It's-a me, Mario!Has Donated, Thank You!I donated an open source project
24th September, 2010 at 12:00:47 -

@Tetsu - Thanks!

@Marko - Thank you. =D It took me quite a while to get her to look right, especially since I do most of my drawing in MMF2's picture editor.

Also, a Xoda Rap sprite would be sweet!

 

tetsuya_shino



Registered
  12/08/2004
Points
  491
24th September, 2010 at 12:02:47 -

WARNING - wall o text



Originally Posted by Eternal Man [EE]
Hmm, I think the overall body design looks... well, off.
You get the feeling that there are multiple perspectives in the picture.

The head for example. The hair indicates that the character is looking into "the camera", but the eyes indicate that you are watching the character at an angle.
Things like that.

I made two quick variants of your sprite to illustrate what I mean;

Image

The one in the middle is your sprite, the one to the left has the eyes higher (following the hair), the one on the right has the hair follow the eyes.

I also made a few quick touches on the arms and legs.
//EE



I had read and replied to this while rushing to get ready for work. Now that I just got off work, and have a little more free time, I'll explain this a bit better.

You thought I made an error because the eyes and hair give conflicting angles? You had incorrectly assumed that your edit on the right side is the 'correct' way her face should normally be drawn. Which objectively isn't totally your fault. Chrono Trigger females have their eyes placed up that high. So if you like the way they do it in CT, you'd assume my way is incorrect.
And the truth of it is, I do place eyes that high on the face,.. but only for male characters. ED is a girl. To have her eyes places in the same manner as a man or woman is just lazy. (Although maybe pro Squaresoft pixel artists did this.) So the right edit might look perfect to you.. but to me it looks like a dude in drag.. >_>

Now for your left edit. It's not bad, but hair style is all wrong. Look at the original again. Short bangs, with the forehead exposed. In my version I drew hair with the forehead exposed, but admited I forgot to add the bangs. You redrawing the hair, while cute, is a deviation of the original design. I'm going to make another version of her with no color restrictions and with the bangs, later.

Lastly, I never asked for C&C. If someone isn't asking for help, don't edit people's sprites. Um'k?

@Jon Lambert: So her name is Mia, huh? I never played the game myself. I'll make a note of that. As far as my reaction, I had assumed (incorrectly) he had draw the original. That was my mistake, but it doesn't change much. When I was studying the original to make my version, I was groaning. In my personal opinion it's an ugly sprite. She just isn't cute looking to me.
But now that I've cooled down, maybe there is a reason for that. Maybe that's the best the artist could do at the time? (ED is an old game, right?) Maybe it's part of the story? (She gets a new sprite later in the game, etc.)

Could I have been more tactful? Yes. But look at it from my angle. After I posted my version I was expecting to get a reply along the lines of, "oh cool, you drew Mia!" But what did I get? Some random guy (who's not even the original artist) picking apart my fansprite. Needless to say, I was rubbed the wrong way by it. If you have any pride as an artist I'm sure you could relate.
But my main pet pev is assuming I wanted C&C. I guess people don't realize how rude it is to edit someone's sprites without asking. If anything good comes from all this, I hope that is something people will remember.

@Watermelon876: Sounds interesting. Can you provide a sprite of her for me please? And one of 'the Knytt Stories girl' also? Thanks.

@Adam: If you hurry you can still make it to today's Reading Comprehension class. Ask Dog's Dog for directions.

@OldManClayton: Yes, I know what it sounded like; 'my sprites are perfect, and your's are awful'. But I never once said my sprites are flawless. They aren't in fact. Everyone has room for improvement. Case in point, ED's pixel artist. He (or she?) clearly has some talent because the backgrounds were damn sexy. However, that artist (in my opinion) could uh *ahem* use a lot of work in the female character design department. Mia isn't cute or sexy.. and the expression on her face is really odd.
But as much as I don't like the original Mia sprite, I'd never edit it without the original artist's promission. (Although anyone who really knows me knows I NEVER edit other's pixel art for any reason, so it's a mute point.)

@Eternal Man [EE]: Since the theme of this thread was me drawing other's characters in my style.. by asking "what do you think?" I meant it in a "does it good/similar to the original?', kinda way. Not, 'does it look pixel perfect?'.
I think I had also said that I had 'just thrown this together', meaning that I worked on it long enough so someone would make the comparison.. but not nearly as long as I work on my 'own' sprite characters. Remember, I'm just doing this for fun. So you turning this it's a serious C&C session kinda surprised and upset me.

Then again, maybe you were surprised and upset by my reply because you thought you were just being helpful. Anyways, let's just take this as a lesson learned and move on. But to show there is no hard feelings, you're also invited to sumbit your own female character.

@everyone: Dig deep! Unearth some more click girls for me to draw. =]

 
n/a

Ski

TDC is my stress ball

Registered
  13/03/2005
Points
  10130

GOTW WINNER CUP 1!GOTW WINNER CUP 2!GOTW WINNER CUP 3!KlikCast HelperVIP MemberWii OwnerStrawberryPicture Me This Round 28 Winner!PS3 OwnerI am an April Fool
Candy Cane
24th September, 2010 at 12:42:29 -

Ok, screw being polite about this. You're acting like a <bleepo>. Drop the attitude.

Edited by an Administrator

 
n/a
   

Post Reply



 



Advertisement

Worth A Click