The Daily Click ::. Forums ::. Misc Chat ::. How do people feel about sex and nudity in games.
 


 

Posted By Message
This thread has been locked by an administrator

Disthron



Registered
  08/02/2005
Points
  1101

VIP Member
19th July, 2008 at 14:07:04 -

I just wonted to know how people feel about sex and or nudity in video games. Do you play porn games? Do you think that sex/nudity has no place in gaming? Just wondering.

 
"Oh, my god! A lightning monster just ripped out this poor woman's eyes, and your mocking her shrubbery!" - The Spoony One

Ski

TDC is my stress ball

Registered
  13/03/2005
Points
  10130

GOTW WINNER CUP 1!GOTW WINNER CUP 2!GOTW WINNER CUP 3!KlikCast HelperVIP MemberWii OwnerStrawberryPicture Me This Round 28 Winner!PS3 OwnerI am an April Fool
Candy Cane
19th July, 2008 at 14:18:14 -

If it's pandas having sex I don't mind

 
n/a

OMC

What a goofball

Registered
  21/05/2007
Points
  3334

KlikCast Musician! Guy with a HatSomewhat CrazyARGH SignLikes TDCHas Donated, Thank You!Retired Admin
19th July, 2008 at 16:04:00 -

You probably already know this, but I say none at all. It has no place anywhere in video games or TV. Of course, I'm sure some disagree, but don't bother yelling at me about it-- I'm not coming back to this topic.

 

  		
  		

Dr. James MD

Addict

Registered
  08/12/2003
Points
  11941

First GOTW AwardSecond GOTW AwardThird GOTW AwardPicture Me This -Round 26- Winner!
19th July, 2008 at 16:07:48 -

Keep it in there but make sure it's got the right age ratings.

Though I do feel sex is completely unnecessary in games, but I suppose it's a nice easy way for some publishers to get sales.

 
Image
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j--8iXVv2_U
On the sixth day God created Manchester
"You gotta get that sand out your vaj!" x13
www.bossbaddie.com

Phredreeke

Don't listen to this idiot

Registered
  03/08/2002
Points
  4504

You've Been Circy'd!VIP MemberPS3 Owner
19th July, 2008 at 19:01:09 -

Heh, why not? I don't think Leisure Suit Larry would have gotten seven sequels if people didn't want to play games with sex in them.

Wasn't there some game where you playing Jack Thompson, and if you put in the konami code you got a scene of him giving Joe Lieberman a blow job?

 
- Ok, you must admit that was the most creative cussing this site have ever seen -

Make some more box arts damnit!
http://create-games.com/forum_post.asp?id=285363

Ricky

loves Left For Dead 2

Registered
  28/12/2006
Points
  4175

Has Donated, Thank You!Game of the Week WinnerVIP MemberWii OwnerHero of TimeGOTM Winner! - November 2009I am an April Fool
19th July, 2008 at 19:05:58 -

naked animals are ok with me

 
-

markno2



Registered
  06/06/2006
Points
  865

Game of the Week WinnerVIP MemberPicture Me This Round 30 Winner!Weekly Picture Me This Round 39 Winner!Kliktober Special Award Tag
19th July, 2008 at 19:09:43 -


Originally Posted by Phredreeke
Heh, why not? I don't think Leisure Suit Larry would have gotten seven sequels if people didn't want to play games with sex in them.

Wasn't there some game where you playing Jack Thompson, and if you put in the konami code you got a scene of him giving Joe Lieberman a blow job?



Leisure Suit Larry's main charm was the humour. You don't really get to -see- that much stuff in it (except in the new one). =P

Entering the Konami Code in I'm O.K: A Murder Simulator revealed a scene involving Jack Thompson, but it certainly wasn't that.

 
Discarded pizza boxes are an indispensable source of cheese.

AndyUK

Mascot Maniac

Registered
  01/08/2002
Points
  14446

Game of the Week WinnerSecond GOTW AwardHas Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
19th July, 2008 at 19:18:05 -

I think it's fine so long as it's not a just a silly marketing gimmick to make an otherwise crap game sell.

 
.

Phredreeke

Don't listen to this idiot

Registered
  03/08/2002
Points
  4504

You've Been Circy'd!VIP MemberPS3 Owner
19th July, 2008 at 19:37:43 -


Originally Posted by AndyUK
I think it's fine so long as it's not a just a silly marketing gimmick to make an otherwise crap game sell.



like this?
Image

 
- Ok, you must admit that was the most creative cussing this site have ever seen -

Make some more box arts damnit!
http://create-games.com/forum_post.asp?id=285363

AndyUK

Mascot Maniac

Registered
  01/08/2002
Points
  14446

Game of the Week WinnerSecond GOTW AwardHas Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
19th July, 2008 at 20:57:54 -

I mean like taking a generic game, like... Football/Soccer and deciding to make it FEMALE ALL NUDE football.
Or naked Formula 1

 
.

Zezard



Registered
  17/07/2005
Points
  326

VIP Member
19th July, 2008 at 21:00:46 -

What's the big deal with sex?

Just like with violence, pornographic content has its place in the gaming world. It is something that exists in real life, it is VERY important for real life and it is an interesting subject. Games that feature a realistic story should definetly not have to avoid sex just because it's a taboo for many persons.

As for pornographic content on this site, I think it should not be forbidden or looked down upon, but it would be good it the mods would add some way to mark a submission as mature material, in order to avoid trouble with illegal stuff.

 
http://create-games.com/project.asp?view=main&id=1217

Phredreeke

Don't listen to this idiot

Registered
  03/08/2002
Points
  4504

You've Been Circy'd!VIP MemberPS3 Owner
19th July, 2008 at 21:15:40 -


Originally Posted by Zezard
As for pornographic content on this site, I think it should not be forbidden or looked down upon, but it would be good it the mods would add some way to mark a submission as mature material, in order to avoid trouble with illegal stuff.



Since when is porn illegal? Unless you're talking about child porn and beastiality which I think I speak for all of us when I say I definitively don't want to see any of here.

 
- Ok, you must admit that was the most creative cussing this site have ever seen -

Make some more box arts damnit!
http://create-games.com/forum_post.asp?id=285363

Zezard



Registered
  17/07/2005
Points
  326

VIP Member
19th July, 2008 at 21:38:54 -

Well, I'm not very good at laws and such, but isn't there something about warning people who are under a certain age if a site contains pornographics content? Oh, well they could add it anyway, just because it makes tdc look professional.

 
http://create-games.com/project.asp?view=main&id=1217

Dr. James MD

Addict

Registered
  08/12/2003
Points
  11941

First GOTW AwardSecond GOTW AwardThird GOTW AwardPicture Me This -Round 26- Winner!
19th July, 2008 at 23:06:12 -


Originally Posted by Zezard
What's the big deal with sex?

Just like with violence, pornographic content has its place in the gaming world. It is something that exists in real life, it is VERY important for real life and it is an interesting subject. Games that feature a realistic story should definetly not have to avoid sex just because it's a taboo for many persons.



I always thought the point of a game was to get away from real life?

BTW I don't think it's wrong to avoid sex, just sexual scenes/games that depend solely upon sex etc. Violence is acceptable since it has formed many of our big mofo stories. Even that old bibles is big on the fighting. Sex isn't really a good staple for a story, it's a fun thing in real life fo sho but them feelings aren't exactly transferable to games.

Also - how many games have a realistic story? Even the most attempted down to earth story (GTA) is as camp and ridiculous as a campy ridiculous theatre production. Do you get games based on peoples lives, or true stories?

 
Image
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j--8iXVv2_U
On the sixth day God created Manchester
"You gotta get that sand out your vaj!" x13
www.bossbaddie.com

OMC

What a goofball

Registered
  21/05/2007
Points
  3334

KlikCast Musician! Guy with a HatSomewhat CrazyARGH SignLikes TDCHas Donated, Thank You!Retired Admin
19th July, 2008 at 23:15:29 -

I lied--- I came back to this topic. I must say that if those things start surfacing on this site I'm outta here. (not that most of you care) I'm disappointed in the fact that you all think it's acceptable outside of marriage. That's the world for ya I guess. Anywho, laugh all you want at me, I don't care.

 

  		
  		

Phredreeke

Don't listen to this idiot

Registered
  03/08/2002
Points
  4504

You've Been Circy'd!VIP MemberPS3 Owner
19th July, 2008 at 23:18:36 -


Originally Posted by Zezard
Well, I'm not very good at laws and such, but isn't there something about warning people who are under a certain age if a site contains pornographics content? Oh, well they could add it anyway, just because it makes tdc look professional.



There's a law in USA, but it has several times been deemed unconstitutional. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_Online_Protection_Act

 
- Ok, you must admit that was the most creative cussing this site have ever seen -

Make some more box arts damnit!
http://create-games.com/forum_post.asp?id=285363

OMC

What a goofball

Registered
  21/05/2007
Points
  3334

KlikCast Musician! Guy with a HatSomewhat CrazyARGH SignLikes TDCHas Donated, Thank You!Retired Admin
19th July, 2008 at 23:39:57 -

Unconstitutional?? O_O Who gives a crap if your free speech is stifled when it's to protect kids from being perverted?

 

  		
  		

Dr. James MD

Addict

Registered
  08/12/2003
Points
  11941

First GOTW AwardSecond GOTW AwardThird GOTW AwardPicture Me This -Round 26- Winner!
19th July, 2008 at 23:41:40 -

US= illusion of free speech is thuper important.

 
Image
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j--8iXVv2_U
On the sixth day God created Manchester
"You gotta get that sand out your vaj!" x13
www.bossbaddie.com

Hayo

Stone Goose

Registered
  15/08/2002
Points
  6764

Game of the Week WinnerHas Donated, Thank You!VIP MemberGOTM 3RD PLACE! - APRIL 2009Weekly Picture Me This Round 27 Winner!
19th July, 2008 at 23:46:39 -

I like it in a blatantly suggestive way. Actual sex is not fun in any digital way.

 
www.hayovanreek.nl

Willy C



Registered
  14/02/2004
Points
  1524

Game of the Week WinnerKlikCast StarPicture Me This -Round8- Winner!VIP MemberWii OwnerIt's-a me, Mario!Hero of TimeThe Cake is a LiePS3 OwnerI am an April Fool
Batman!Teddy Bear
19th July, 2008 at 23:48:42 -

It's weird that heavy violence- the most inhumane thing in our world- usually get a rating for 15+, sometimes 17+. While sex, the most humane thing- the most natural thing known to man, instantly gains an adult only rating. Why is that? We live in a ultra violent, sexual oppressed society.

I say. If it helps guide the plot forward, use nudity.

 
http://www.robocaptain.com

OMC

What a goofball

Registered
  21/05/2007
Points
  3334

KlikCast Musician! Guy with a HatSomewhat CrazyARGH SignLikes TDCHas Donated, Thank You!Retired Admin
19th July, 2008 at 23:49:35 -


Originally Posted by Dr. James
US= illusion of free speech is thuper important.



I hear you on that.

 

  		
  		

AndyUK

Mascot Maniac

Registered
  01/08/2002
Points
  14446

Game of the Week WinnerSecond GOTW AwardHas Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
20th July, 2008 at 00:29:46 -


Originally Posted by OldManClayton
I'm disappointed in the fact that you all think it's acceptable outside of marriage. That's the world for ya I guess. Anywho, laugh all you want at me, I don't care.



We're not going to laugh (well i'm not) for thinking that...

But i hope you don't think any worse of anyone who does fine sex outside of marriage acceptable.

 
.

OMC

What a goofball

Registered
  21/05/2007
Points
  3334

KlikCast Musician! Guy with a HatSomewhat CrazyARGH SignLikes TDCHas Donated, Thank You!Retired Admin
20th July, 2008 at 00:37:59 -

I don't think any less of them (I try not to think less of anyone), but I do think they're wrong. I won't preach to them about it, especially over the internet-- but I still think they're wrong.

And I'm tired of hearing that violence argument. I can't explain it very well, I'm not so great with words, but the way they have it is right. It should rightly get an AO rating, it's for AO. Violence in games I'm not going to argue about, but I kind of understand why it is that way. Extreme violence is indeed inhumane, but.... NARG! I can't explain it. Sex is inappropriate. *sigh* It's like trying to explain the meaning of a nebulous word to a child. (I don't mean that as in you're stupid, I just mean it's hard to explain.)

btw, we do NOT live in a sexually oppressed society. How you can think that is beyond me. I'm not trying to preach, but it should be oppressed more than it is. It's natural, but only for married people. It has no place outside of that.

Image Edited by the Author.

 

  		
  		

Bibin

At least 9001

Registered
  01/07/2005
Points
  308

Silver Cup WinnerGOTW Winner!Has Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
20th July, 2008 at 00:47:46 -


Originally Posted by OldManClayton
I lied--- I came back to this topic. I must say that if those things start surfacing on this site I'm outta here. (not that most of you care) I'm disappointed in the fact that you all think it's acceptable outside of marriage. That's the world for ya I guess. Anywho, laugh all you want at me, I don't care.



I'm really disappointed of your conservative, close-minded view on other people's opinions. Times change. Even if you don't like what a lot of people think, let them think it. I should hope that you don't judge people based on how Catholic they are; to judge someone's character based on whether or not their religion is identical to yours is wrong.

Image Edited by the Author.

 
n/a

Ricky

loves Left For Dead 2

Registered
  28/12/2006
Points
  4175

Has Donated, Thank You!Game of the Week WinnerVIP MemberWii OwnerHero of TimeGOTM Winner! - November 2009I am an April Fool
20th July, 2008 at 00:58:41 -

I don't think he was judging anyone else bibin. I believe that sex before marriage is wrong too, and am disappointed at how casually we treat it.

However, Everyone's bedroom is their own business, so I have no right to say what you should or should not do. I hope we all can just respectfully disagree.

Image Edited by the Author.

 
-

OMC

What a goofball

Registered
  21/05/2007
Points
  3334

KlikCast Musician! Guy with a HatSomewhat CrazyARGH SignLikes TDCHas Donated, Thank You!Retired Admin
20th July, 2008 at 01:01:30 -

. My oh my. "times change" "catholic???" I haven't judged them. And btw, you're judging right there. and "close-minded" is on my retarded phrases list. It's very close-minded to call someone close minded because they don't believe what you do. You're just as guilty of what you're accusing me of as I am! And this is hardly a matter of identicality. The differences in opinion are too great. This is the first time I've seriously had trouble not calling someone a name on TDC. That whole spew you just gave me has been said so many times. And what I'm saying now has been said so many times. Let's not go through with it, shall we? Before this turns into a mess?

Wait a moment... Did you even read what you just said? "I'm really disappointed of your conservative, close-minded view on other people's opinions" Do you not see how hypocritical that is??

Well, you're going to hate me for this... But I'm prayin' for ya. (MWAHAHAHAHA!)

Yea, I know I'm hypocritical too, don't try to throw that at me. But at least I realize it.

Image Edited by the Author.

 

  		
  		

Codemonkey

Always Serious

Registered
  06/11/2007
Points
  164

Code MonkeyKlikCast StarVIP MemberAttention GetterWii Owner360 OwnerThe Cake is a LieCardboard BoxHero of TimeI'm a Storm Trooper
I'm on a BoatIt's-a me, Mario!PS3 OwnerSonic SpeedGOTM - SEPTEMBER 2009 - WINNER!Evil klikerPokemon Ball!I am an April Fool
20th July, 2008 at 01:03:59 -


Originally Posted by OldManClayton
. My oh my. "times change" "catholic???" I haven't judged them. And btw, you're judging right there. and "close-minded" is on my retarded phrases list. It's very close-minded to call someone close minded because they don't believe what you do. You're just as guilty of what you're accusing me of as I am! And this is hardly a matter of identicality. The differences in opinion are too great. This is the first time I've seriously had trouble not calling someone a name on TDC. That whole spew you just gave me has been said so many times. And what I'm saying now has been said so many times. Let's not go through with it, shall we? Before this turns into a mess?

Wait a moment... Did you even read what you just said? "I'm really disappointed of your conservative, close-minded view on other people's opinions" Do you not see how hypocritical that is??

Well, you're going to hate me for this... But I'm prayin' for ya. (MWAHAHAHAHA!)

Yea, I know I'm hypocritical too, don't try to throw that at me. But at least I realize it.

Image Edited by the Author.



You pwned him good lol.

 
You can log off any time you like, but you can't ever leave.

DeadmanDines

Best Article Writer

Registered
  27/04/2006
Points
  4758
20th July, 2008 at 01:24:58 -

You asked what we all think, so my angle:

I disagree with it. I believe that sex is there to be enjoyed between two people who love each other, and who have every intention of staying together. That's not how it's always used, but that's how it was intended to be used.

Given that sex would therefore be about commitment, unselfishness, compromise, tenderness, etc, is someone's playing a porn game really consistent with that?

They're feeding their mind with the concept that they can get a high with no commitment, base the entire experience on their own needs rather than those of anyone else, fit the experience around their own personal schedule with no need for compromise, and can do so as often as they like.

There have been studies which are consistent with this; people who routinely watch or play porn can often have real difficulties adjusting to reality when the person they're with doesn't do it like the pornstars do.

So yeah, I believe it's far better to actually work on being a kind, considerate, tender and caring person. You're more likely to get the real thing that way.

 
191 / 9999 * 7 + 191 * 7

OMC

What a goofball

Registered
  21/05/2007
Points
  3334

KlikCast Musician! Guy with a HatSomewhat CrazyARGH SignLikes TDCHas Donated, Thank You!Retired Admin
20th July, 2008 at 01:29:44 -

See, now he handled it the right way. I blew my top a little too hard. I was just thinking that it's hard to know what to say because people will shut their ears if you don't say it right. Marriage is more than a ritual. It's a commitment. And yes, I think it should be saved for after marriage, not just until you spontaneously decide that this person will be with you for the rest of your life. It doesn't work that way. If you want to keep thinking the way you do, go on ahead. But you'll be sorry when it's happened and your life is a mess. The world is full of dumb people, stupidity, immorality. The only reason you think like that is because that's what you've been fed. And you could say the same thing about me. But we'll see where my life goes when I have standards.

 

  		
  		

Bibin

At least 9001

Registered
  01/07/2005
Points
  308

Silver Cup WinnerGOTW Winner!Has Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
20th July, 2008 at 01:30:16 -


Originally Posted by -Codemonkey-

Originally Posted by OldManClayton
. My oh my. "times change" "catholic???" I haven't judged them. And btw, you're judging right there. and "close-minded" is on my retarded phrases list. It's very close-minded to call someone close minded because they don't believe what you do. You're just as guilty of what you're accusing me of as I am! And this is hardly a matter of identicality. The differences in opinion are too great. This is the first time I've seriously had trouble not calling someone a name on TDC. That whole spew you just gave me has been said so many times. And what I'm saying now has been said so many times. Let's not go through with it, shall we? Before this turns into a mess?

Wait a moment... Did you even read what you just said? "I'm really disappointed of your conservative, close-minded view on other people's opinions" Do you not see how hypocritical that is??

Well, you're going to hate me for this... But I'm prayin' for ya. (MWAHAHAHAHA!)

Yea, I know I'm hypocritical too, don't try to throw that at me. But at least I realize it.

Image Edited by the Author.



You pwned him good lol.



Uh, he did not? I was saying Catholic because it's a catholic viewpoint. I was Catholic at one point in time myself; I'm not insulting him for that. I never challenged your views on sex/marriage order, I challenged the fact that you seemed utterly disgusted that somebody else might have different views on marital/non-marital sex as you do. If that's not what you were trying to say, then I apologize. I have nothing against your religion; again, I just think it's rather rude to act so angry and disgusted at the fact that somebody else might have sex before marriage.

That was quite a rash response you gave there.

Image Edited by the Author.

 
n/a

Ski

TDC is my stress ball

Registered
  13/03/2005
Points
  10130

GOTW WINNER CUP 1!GOTW WINNER CUP 2!GOTW WINNER CUP 3!KlikCast HelperVIP MemberWii OwnerStrawberryPicture Me This Round 28 Winner!PS3 OwnerI am an April Fool
Candy Cane
20th July, 2008 at 01:31:41 -

If you want to put sex in your game, put sex in your game, but give warning that it has sexual content blah blah blah.

Don't ask the people here, half of them still use balls or little square robots as their main characters and think they're rebelling.

 
n/a

Ricky

loves Left For Dead 2

Registered
  28/12/2006
Points
  4175

Has Donated, Thank You!Game of the Week WinnerVIP MemberWii OwnerHero of TimeGOTM Winner! - November 2009I am an April Fool
20th July, 2008 at 01:35:16 -

It's not just a catholic viewpoint Bibin. It's also a protestant viewpoint which is miles away from catholicism .

 
-

OMC

What a goofball

Registered
  21/05/2007
Points
  3334

KlikCast Musician! Guy with a HatSomewhat CrazyARGH SignLikes TDCHas Donated, Thank You!Retired Admin
20th July, 2008 at 01:35:43 -

I was never disgusted until you opened your mouth. It's not just a catholic viewpoint. Without sounding like I'm being judgmental, cathlics are shallow sometimes, listening to service in a language they do not know sometimes. Plus they add on a whole bunch of pagan practices. Nothing against you if you're catholic. There are good catholics, don't get me wrong. But half the reason so many people are disgusted with Christianity is because half of "christians" aren't true, and are just acting.

I'm still not disgusted, but maybe a bit sad.

Image Edited by the Author.

 

  		
  		

Ski

TDC is my stress ball

Registered
  13/03/2005
Points
  10130

GOTW WINNER CUP 1!GOTW WINNER CUP 2!GOTW WINNER CUP 3!KlikCast HelperVIP MemberWii OwnerStrawberryPicture Me This Round 28 Winner!PS3 OwnerI am an April Fool
Candy Cane
20th July, 2008 at 01:37:24 -

To be fair he used his fingers, he didn't open his mouth

 
n/a

OMC

What a goofball

Registered
  21/05/2007
Points
  3334

KlikCast Musician! Guy with a HatSomewhat CrazyARGH SignLikes TDCHas Donated, Thank You!Retired Admin
20th July, 2008 at 01:40:20 -

. Don't misread what I said about Catholics. They can be goodhearted people. Many non-catholic christians are the same. Heck, I don't even go to chruch anymore because an ***hole (Please exscuse that, it's the only time I ever use explitives.) elder kicked us out of ours. And I'm not Religious. But I love Jesus. You may think that's hoky, which it is sometimes, but being a Christian and Loving people and God are two different things sometimes. The name "christian" was actually a derogative greek term at one time.

Image Edited by the Author.

 

  		
  		

Ricky

loves Left For Dead 2

Registered
  28/12/2006
Points
  4175

Has Donated, Thank You!Game of the Week WinnerVIP MemberWii OwnerHero of TimeGOTM Winner! - November 2009I am an April Fool
20th July, 2008 at 01:42:06 -

Very few people who call themselves Christians really are IMO.

 
-

OMC

What a goofball

Registered
  21/05/2007
Points
  3334

KlikCast Musician! Guy with a HatSomewhat CrazyARGH SignLikes TDCHas Donated, Thank You!Retired Admin
20th July, 2008 at 01:42:33 -

Exactly.
 
 

			
  	    

 

  		
  		

Codemonkey

Always Serious

Registered
  06/11/2007
Points
  164

Code MonkeyKlikCast StarVIP MemberAttention GetterWii Owner360 OwnerThe Cake is a LieCardboard BoxHero of TimeI'm a Storm Trooper
I'm on a BoatIt's-a me, Mario!PS3 OwnerSonic SpeedGOTM - SEPTEMBER 2009 - WINNER!Evil klikerPokemon Ball!I am an April Fool
20th July, 2008 at 01:43:14 -


Originally Posted by OldManClayton
Exactly.
 
 





 
You can log off any time you like, but you can't ever leave.

OMC

What a goofball

Registered
  21/05/2007
Points
  3334

KlikCast Musician! Guy with a HatSomewhat CrazyARGH SignLikes TDCHas Donated, Thank You!Retired Admin
20th July, 2008 at 02:24:34 -

I'm going to say one last thing and then stop. I don't want you to read all this wrong. You seemed to think I was disgusted and rude that you think differently, which makes me think you may need to work on your deciphering skills. O_o I hope you don't go away even more mad and disgusted with Christians, because I am self-admittedly a bad handler of words, and I'm not the best person to try to talk to people. I really didn't want to preach and act like what may be seen as a snob, but I kind of got carried away. I don't even know why I bother, because I'm talking to people who use the internet! I'm not sorry if I offended you. People seem to think that it's always bad to offend people. I don't think it is so in every case. It makes people think, and anger that may be a result of it just shows how unthoughtful and closed you are. (as much as I hate the whole "closed" catch 22 situation.) (I'm not saying you are, but it's usually true.) And on one last note, I would like to thank Adam for being respectful.

Don't read this as a softy-I'm-sorry-I'll-just-keep-to-myself post. I'm merely realizing that it doesn't work on the internet, and it was rather stupid of me to think I could try to make anyone understand when not face-to-face. I intended this post to be read with a hint of solemnety, however hard it may be to think of me as solemn.

SHEW. Long post. NOW, why in the heckamuhplooza do I keep getting myself into these messes?? I see why most forums like to keep it serious.

Image Edited by the Author.

 

  		
  		

Ski

TDC is my stress ball

Registered
  13/03/2005
Points
  10130

GOTW WINNER CUP 1!GOTW WINNER CUP 2!GOTW WINNER CUP 3!KlikCast HelperVIP MemberWii OwnerStrawberryPicture Me This Round 28 Winner!PS3 OwnerI am an April Fool
Candy Cane
20th July, 2008 at 02:28:22 -

"I would like to thank Adam for being respectful."

DAMN...

>.>

<.<

I hate Catholics and Christians

 
n/a

Jon Lambert

Administrator
Vaporware Master

Registered
  19/12/2004
Points
  8235

VIP MemberWii OwnerTDC Chat Super UserI am an April FoolSSBB 3265-4741-0937ACCF 3051-1173-8012360 Owner
20th July, 2008 at 03:16:02 -

Maybe the TDC could adopt a system like this for supposedly mature-content downloads.
Image

Image

And a page that appears when you click the link that warns of the content and redirects you to the home page if you don't click the continue link in 5 seconds.

Image Edited by the Author.

 
Sandwich Time!Whoo!

JoyCheck & KeyCheck Widgets
For easy implementation of customizable joystick and keyboard controls.
http://www.create-games.com/download.asp?id=8364

Phredreeke

Don't listen to this idiot

Registered
  03/08/2002
Points
  4504

You've Been Circy'd!VIP MemberPS3 Owner
20th July, 2008 at 03:23:08 -


Originally Posted by AndyUK

Originally Posted by OldManClayton
I'm disappointed in the fact that you all think it's acceptable outside of marriage. That's the world for ya I guess. Anywho, laugh all you want at me, I don't care.



We're not going to laugh (well i'm not) for thinking that...

But i hope you don't think any worse of anyone who does fine sex outside of marriage acceptable.



I'm going to laugh... But I still respect your opinion of it, as long as you don't shove it down other peoples throats.

 
- Ok, you must admit that was the most creative cussing this site have ever seen -

Make some more box arts damnit!
http://create-games.com/forum_post.asp?id=285363

Ricky

loves Left For Dead 2

Registered
  28/12/2006
Points
  4175

Has Donated, Thank You!Game of the Week WinnerVIP MemberWii OwnerHero of TimeGOTM Winner! - November 2009I am an April Fool
20th July, 2008 at 04:02:54 -


Originally Posted by Phredreeke


I'm going to laugh... But I still respect your opinion of it, as long as you don't shove it down other peoples throats.



Yay for respectful disagreement.

Image Edited by the Author.

 
-

Bibin

At least 9001

Registered
  01/07/2005
Points
  308

Silver Cup WinnerGOTW Winner!Has Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
20th July, 2008 at 04:47:01 -

Hah, that's true.

While not solely a Catholic viewpoint, it's one of the points that's strongly enforced, at least here.

I wouldn't be offended by you judging Catholics; why do you think I'm no longer Christian?

Once again, I don't give a rats ass if you don't like the idea, just don't rudely push that disagreement on people in that way.

Instead of "I'm disappointed in the fact that you all think it's acceptable outside of marriage.", why not just say that you don't agree?

But forget it, if I continue to post you'll keep putting words in my mouth. I'm done now.

 
n/a

-Dark Martin-

The dark is most certainly not your friend

Registered
  05/06/2008
Points
  21

Has Donated, Thank You!KlikCast StarSonic SpeedWii Owner360 Owner
20th July, 2008 at 05:05:59 -

Come to think of it i don't like it, why?

Because of those Damn Redeads in Ocarina of Time!

*shivers*

 
<a href="http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f315/Martin_Bodger/?action=view¤t=signature_stripcopy.png" target="_blank">Image

Dr. James MD

Addict

Registered
  08/12/2003
Points
  11941

First GOTW AwardSecond GOTW AwardThird GOTW AwardPicture Me This -Round 26- Winner!
20th July, 2008 at 09:00:51 -


Originally Posted by Martin Bodger
Come to think of it i don't like it, why?

Because of those Damn Redeads in Ocarina of Time!

*shivers*



*sigh* they're not redheads, the real name is ginger --.--

 
Image
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j--8iXVv2_U
On the sixth day God created Manchester
"You gotta get that sand out your vaj!" x13
www.bossbaddie.com

DeadmanDines

Best Article Writer

Registered
  27/04/2006
Points
  4758
20th July, 2008 at 10:13:38 -

(yay we have post previews now!)

Just a little thought out of kindness for the chap or chap-ess that started this thread: They did ask our opinions about sex and nudity in videogames, so it's kind of not the place to be slating the opinions of others.

 
191 / 9999 * 7 + 191 * 7

Willy C



Registered
  14/02/2004
Points
  1524

Game of the Week WinnerKlikCast StarPicture Me This -Round8- Winner!VIP MemberWii OwnerIt's-a me, Mario!Hero of TimeThe Cake is a LiePS3 OwnerI am an April Fool
Batman!Teddy Bear
20th July, 2008 at 11:28:56 -

"Video Games and Sex"



Image Edited by the Author.

 
http://www.robocaptain.com

-Liam-

Cake Addict

Registered
  06/12/2008
Points
  531

Wii OwnerIt's-a me, Mario!Hero of TimeStrawberry
20th July, 2008 at 12:40:45 -

Sex in games. I don't care usually but there are two video games in particular which are kinda pervy that I really wish weren't. Dead or Alive and Soul Calibur. I'm a big fan of Soul Calibur and the new game looks incredible, very realistic. Well, all except for the size of the female characters chests. -_-;;

If they were going for realism then they should have cut that out. It's pretty irritating actually and seriously puts me off. I mean what would people think who didn't know the game if they saw me playing it? Certainly NOT cool at all.

 
Image

Tell 'em Babs is 'ere...

Dr. James MD

Addict

Registered
  08/12/2003
Points
  11941

First GOTW AwardSecond GOTW AwardThird GOTW AwardPicture Me This -Round 26- Winner!
20th July, 2008 at 19:48:16 -

I agree with my patient above. If you're going to start a new IP then go for it (if you want, Rumble Roses). But don't make something that was respectable and semi-realistic into the mess that is the new SC.

 
Image
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j--8iXVv2_U
On the sixth day God created Manchester
"You gotta get that sand out your vaj!" x13
www.bossbaddie.com

Ski

TDC is my stress ball

Registered
  13/03/2005
Points
  10130

GOTW WINNER CUP 1!GOTW WINNER CUP 2!GOTW WINNER CUP 3!KlikCast HelperVIP MemberWii OwnerStrawberryPicture Me This Round 28 Winner!PS3 OwnerI am an April Fool
Candy Cane
20th July, 2008 at 19:57:10 -

LOL slink is your patient?

 
n/a

Dr. James MD

Addict

Registered
  08/12/2003
Points
  11941

First GOTW AwardSecond GOTW AwardThird GOTW AwardPicture Me This -Round 26- Winner!
20th July, 2008 at 20:03:14 -

I am ignoring my nurse -...-

 
Image
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j--8iXVv2_U
On the sixth day God created Manchester
"You gotta get that sand out your vaj!" x13
www.bossbaddie.com

Knudde (Shab)

Administrator
Crazy?

Registered
  31/01/2003
Points
  5119

Has Donated, Thank You!Clickzine StaffKlikCast StarVIP MemberGhostbuster!Dos Rules!I donated an open source project
20th July, 2008 at 20:03:15 -

Yes, it's been gettin really bad again lately with the ridiculous breast size again. Last time it was this bad was shortly after the first Tomb Raider. Boobs are nice, but dammit it really seems to undercut a cool character when you suddenly give them a washcloth for a top. Despite what many game designers think, you can make a sexy character who isn't revealing. Why does female body armor always seem to include 90% less armor?

I guess it just comes down to most people would rather create a sack of well defined flesh than a well defined character.

Image Edited by an Administrator.

 
Craps, I'm an old man!

AndyUK

Mascot Maniac

Registered
  01/08/2002
Points
  14446

Game of the Week WinnerSecond GOTW AwardHas Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
20th July, 2008 at 21:10:33 -

Hmmm that reminds me that i own Soul calibur 2 and ive never played it.

 
.

OMC

What a goofball

Registered
  21/05/2007
Points
  3334

KlikCast Musician! Guy with a HatSomewhat CrazyARGH SignLikes TDCHas Donated, Thank You!Retired Admin
20th July, 2008 at 22:14:41 -

I NEVER put words in your mouth, Bibin. You don't seem to understand that I was doing nothing wrong. I was never rude and I'm not shoving it down anyone's throat. And what's wrong with saying you're disappointed that everyone thinks differently? I'm done here too.

 

  		
  		

Disthron



Registered
  08/02/2005
Points
  1101

VIP Member
21st July, 2008 at 17:36:26 -

First I'd like to thank you for all your responses. Though we seem to have gon a little off topic. But I don't mined.

The reason I asked is becouse I was thinking about including a sexual element into my game. And I was wondering how the community felt about that. I thought that if you chose to be the good guy it might be cool to be able to pursue a relationship with another character.

OldManClayton is kind of right about the hole sexually repressed society. I don't think that western culture is sexually repressed at all. Sometimes I think that young people are too sexualised. However I don't agree with the no sex before marriage thing. I think having a strong relationship is way more important then marriage.

DeadmanDines:- You had some interesting things to say. I can see what your saying and I agree but I'm not trying to substitute for the real thing. This caters to a fantasy, and what will happen in the game is physically impossible.

-Liam/Slink- :- Ok so I don't know much about the newest incarnations of these games but I've never found the "Dead or Alive" or the "Sole Calibur" games particularly realistic.

[Edit]
Jon & George Lambert suggested a marking system to show what kind of content was in a submitted game. I think this is a really good idear and for all kinds of content not just adult stuff.

Willy C:- that was a cool video. Thanks for pointing it out.

Image Edited by the Author.

 
"Oh, my god! A lightning monster just ripped out this poor woman's eyes, and your mocking her shrubbery!" - The Spoony One

-Dark Martin-

The dark is most certainly not your friend

Registered
  05/06/2008
Points
  21

Has Donated, Thank You!KlikCast StarSonic SpeedWii Owner360 Owner
21st July, 2008 at 20:32:37 -

Come to think of it i did see a women in a bikini stradling a games shelf the other day?

 
<a href="http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f315/Martin_Bodger/?action=view¤t=signature_stripcopy.png" target="_blank">Image

Marko

I like you You like you

Registered
  08/05/2008
Points
  2804

Has Donated, Thank You!Game of the Week WinnerVIP Member360 OwnerDos Rules!Happy FellahCrazy EvilI am an April FoolGingerbread House
21st July, 2008 at 20:38:52 -

I'm not against sexual content in games, not at all... in theory, that is! The problem i have is that every sexual (and even romantic) scene i've ever seen in a game has been so clumsy and un-sexual like that i just think "why did they bother?"

Sexual content and references in games, such as Lara Crofts huge baps, DOA's crazy jugs-physics and Leisure Suit Larry's rank sexual humour, has so far only caused me embarrassment. It's about as appealing to me as catching my mum and dad in the act!

However, my opinion has changed to this since growing up. 15 years ago my opinion was different, but i won't go into that...

 
Image

Subliminal Dreams. . ., daily gaming news and the home of Mooneyman Studios!
www.mooneyman-studios.webs.com

Phredreeke

Don't listen to this idiot

Registered
  03/08/2002
Points
  4504

You've Been Circy'd!VIP MemberPS3 Owner
21st July, 2008 at 21:08:38 -

I wish ARGHT!!! was still here, I wonder what s/he would have said about it.

 
- Ok, you must admit that was the most creative cussing this site have ever seen -

Make some more box arts damnit!
http://create-games.com/forum_post.asp?id=285363

Dr. James MD

Addict

Registered
  08/12/2003
Points
  11941

First GOTW AwardSecond GOTW AwardThird GOTW AwardPicture Me This -Round 26- Winner!
21st July, 2008 at 22:45:40 -

I don't know. What would they have said about it?

 
Image
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j--8iXVv2_U
On the sixth day God created Manchester
"You gotta get that sand out your vaj!" x13
www.bossbaddie.com

Phredreeke

Don't listen to this idiot

Registered
  03/08/2002
Points
  4504

You've Been Circy'd!VIP MemberPS3 Owner
21st July, 2008 at 23:06:48 -

I dunno, but here is a review s/he wrote for one of my games.

http://www.create-games.com/review.asp?id=2802

I made "her" Phizzy's mother in the third Scurvy Sanchez game (she also shows up in the game over screen holding a sign that says "Ban this game")

In reality, ARGHT!!! was run by our team as a way to pull attention to our in our eyes overlooked games.

 
- Ok, you must admit that was the most creative cussing this site have ever seen -

Make some more box arts damnit!
http://create-games.com/forum_post.asp?id=285363

Disthron



Registered
  08/02/2005
Points
  1101

VIP Member
22nd July, 2008 at 09:28:02 -

Mark Radon:- why bother? Well I have to agree with that Daniel Floyd guy, if no one bothers then games as an art form will never go anywhere. He makes a good enalargy with film in that when it was first introduced it was considered a fad but over time garnered acceptances.

Not that I'm really planing to push the boundreys though.

 
"Oh, my god! A lightning monster just ripped out this poor woman's eyes, and your mocking her shrubbery!" - The Spoony One

Marko

I like you You like you

Registered
  08/05/2008
Points
  2804

Has Donated, Thank You!Game of the Week WinnerVIP Member360 OwnerDos Rules!Happy FellahCrazy EvilI am an April FoolGingerbread House
22nd July, 2008 at 15:04:54 -

I don't buy into all that games being art-form stuff. I cannot see how games (as we know them in this day and age) can be classed as art forms, and even if they could be why would sex be required for this? Games are just games to me; calling games art is like calling books art - it's just entertainment!

 
Image

Subliminal Dreams. . ., daily gaming news and the home of Mooneyman Studios!
www.mooneyman-studios.webs.com

Ski

TDC is my stress ball

Registered
  13/03/2005
Points
  10130

GOTW WINNER CUP 1!GOTW WINNER CUP 2!GOTW WINNER CUP 3!KlikCast HelperVIP MemberWii OwnerStrawberryPicture Me This Round 28 Winner!PS3 OwnerI am an April Fool
Candy Cane
22nd July, 2008 at 15:20:08 -

That's one of the most stupid things anyone could say, lol I mean, of course its a form of art. Probably one of the most expressive as it uses sight and sound and interaction, all of which require artistic talent in the first place...

Really people, think about what you're saying

Image Edited by the Author.

 
n/a

Marko

I like you You like you

Registered
  08/05/2008
Points
  2804

Has Donated, Thank You!Game of the Week WinnerVIP Member360 OwnerDos Rules!Happy FellahCrazy EvilI am an April FoolGingerbread House
22nd July, 2008 at 15:26:32 -

Okay, maybe the likes of Okami and Pikmin could be classed as artistic, but games as a whole fall a bit short - can you class the likes of Duke Nukem 3D and BMX XXX as art? I think until we start seeing game galleries like art galleries sprouting up in Paris and Rome we shouldn't make games out to be more than they actually are - that is, digital entertainment

 
Image

Subliminal Dreams. . ., daily gaming news and the home of Mooneyman Studios!
www.mooneyman-studios.webs.com

SircatmaN



Registered
  02/01/2002
Points
  382
22nd July, 2008 at 16:49:38 -

It hink its fine. The writer/producer/whoever is trying to tell a story, just like any other art if you dont like it dont play it. I mean you don't necissarily need a full on hardcore penetration seen but if two characters have sex to progress the story then thats fine.

 
n/a

AndyUK

Mascot Maniac

Registered
  01/08/2002
Points
  14446

Game of the Week WinnerSecond GOTW AwardHas Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
22nd July, 2008 at 17:47:49 -

Games can be an art form so long as the whole commercial side of the industry doesn't overwhelm it too much.
You wouldnt call Fifa 2008 art, but something like Zelda Windwaker could be i guess.

 
.

Phredreeke

Don't listen to this idiot

Registered
  03/08/2002
Points
  4504

You've Been Circy'd!VIP MemberPS3 Owner
22nd July, 2008 at 18:10:51 -


Originally Posted by AndyUK
Games can be an art form so long as the whole commercial side of the industry doesn't overwhelm it too much.
You wouldnt call Fifa 2008 art, but something like Zelda Windwaker could be i guess.




 
- Ok, you must admit that was the most creative cussing this site have ever seen -

Make some more box arts damnit!
http://create-games.com/forum_post.asp?id=285363

Eternal Man [EE]

Pitied the FOO

Registered
  18/01/2007
Points
  2976

Game of the Week WinnerHero of TimeLOL SignI am an April Fool
22nd July, 2008 at 22:12:06 -

Games can be art, it all depends on what the creator had in mind while making it. Simple as that.

"Me wants moneys, me makes game!" = Not art.

/ / / / / / / / / / / resulting in game = Art.

In the same manner anything can be art and anyone can decide for himself/herself if that is true for her/him.

 
Eternal Entertainment's Code'n'Art Man

E_E = All Indie


...actually Ell Endie, but whatever.
Image
Image

Zezard



Registered
  17/07/2005
Points
  326

VIP Member
24th July, 2008 at 01:48:36 -

Mark Radon, do you make games without considering yourself an artis? That's pretty sad if you ask me. I personally consider my games to be art, and myself a game artist. I consider all things that are crafted by persons to express aestetical ideas to be art.

About the disscussion of sex; it doesn't make you a bad person. I'm a very sexual person, yet I have no problem being kind and sexually neutral towards others. I have had no strange ideas or problems with my "shared" sex life as a reslut of my private one (as far as I know, noone else have had problems with that neither ). If you think that some erotic stuff can enhance your game, include it!

I do agree with what Knudde said though. Many (if not most so far) games presents female sexuality in a very clumsy, unnatural way. But even if ridiculous body-proportions and armor designs can ruin a game somewhat, I would rather say that this is a product of the unbalance between men and women, rather than sexuality itself. I do belive that this is a trend that is about to disappear though.

 
http://create-games.com/project.asp?view=main&id=1217

Cecilectomy

noPE

Registered
  19/03/2005
Points
  305

Has Donated, Thank You!VIP MemberWeekly Picture Me This Winner!Cardboard BoxGhostbuster!Pokemon Ball!ComputerBox RedSanta HatSnowman
I am an April Fool
24th July, 2008 at 01:58:34 -

books not art?! are you insane in the head?! books are some of the most intelligent, brilliantly crafted works of art ever created. anyone can draw or paint and call it art. take jackson pollock for example. really? i mean come on.

as for not "having galleries in rome and paris" for videogames doesnt negate its artistic value. you also said books weren't art but have you ever been to a library? i would call those a galleries good sir.

and art IS entertainment. why then would we GO to an art gallery? for entertainment....

 
n/a

JustinC



Registered
  02/04/2006
Points
  1517

GOTM - MAY 2009 - 3RD PLACE!
24th July, 2008 at 06:08:20 -

First, Games.

It pisses me off that any element of sexuality in a game earns it an AO rating. I have to recall the whole hot coffee controversy. 2 fairly low poly models of fully clothed people in sexual positions as a hidden feature. It was stupid, not very fun, and pointless. Yet this caused the game to be pulled from shelves and slapped with an AO rating until the feature was removed. This game was already rated M 17+. Anyone seen any R rated flicks lately? Same rating, 17+. And you can get away with so much more in a movie. Everyone knows this, yet it is a double standard.

At the same time I feel like a large percentage of the people behind making games are too juvenile to deal with these concepts. Rockstar keeps trying to convince us all that games are an art form, and that they're like movies, yet the dialogue, jokes, and concepts within the GTA games feel like they were thought up in a junior high locker room. I'm not saying it's not funny or interesting at times, but sex jokes and using the word fuck constantly does not make a game mature or more respectable.

Second, In general

Not everyone wants to wait til they get married to get laid. Doing so does not make you immoral, or incapable of meaningful relationships. The people who cheat, or do not appreciate their significant other are not like that because they had sex before marriage or because they looked at porn, they're like that because they're assholes. You can have sex without being involved in a serious relationship. It's fun. If you don't want to, fine. There are those of us you can decipher between casual sex and sex in a meaningful relationship. It's just different. If you only see sex in one way, that's your prerogative. But don't act like every person who does it outside of marriage is some heathen without morals.

 
Image

Disthron



Registered
  08/02/2005
Points
  1101

VIP Member
24th July, 2008 at 18:29:34 -

Mark Radon:- There is a painting that was dune by a well known painter, I can't remember his name, but it was just a bunch of squires?! Personally I don't know what the big deal is but it is considered a work of art. And if that can be considered art then you can't tell me that Realms of the Haunting is not. Art is just a form of creative expression, witch is why books, movies, music are all part of the arts.

The reason sex and relationships would be important is becouse it's a big part of adult life. The guy went over it in his video and better than I can.

Also, using the film enalargy agen, not every film may be considered a work of art, just look at most of the stuff that comes out of Hollywood, but it's still and art form. A way that the director, writer, whoever uses to expres themselves. Also, like games creating it is usually a collaborative prossees.

You could definatly call Duke a work of art. I think his games are a satire on pop-culture. Also, why would we have to have our games in the luve for them to be considered artwork? Some people in the "art" community like to be dismissive and exclusive about what is and what is not art. Those people, I find, are usually very up themselves.

Well this has turned into a very interesting thread for a topic that started out to determin if you guys would kick me out if I put sex in my game.

 
"Oh, my god! A lightning monster just ripped out this poor woman's eyes, and your mocking her shrubbery!" - The Spoony One

Marko

I like you You like you

Registered
  08/05/2008
Points
  2804

Has Donated, Thank You!Game of the Week WinnerVIP Member360 OwnerDos Rules!Happy FellahCrazy EvilI am an April FoolGingerbread House
24th July, 2008 at 22:59:16 -

Hahaha, yeah you are right - it has been interesting. Everyone has made some good cases for computer games being a form of art and to be fair i am changing my mind somewhat, but i do still think that games, as they are in 2008, are 99% of the time not art. I think there are exceptions (ICO, Mario 64 etc) but on the whole i don't think games are anything but digital entertainment and i cannot see why they should be any more than that coz to me, that's cool. Yet at the same time those squares that dude 'painted' is not art, it's shit passed as art. And so is that exhibition that girl did that was just a messed up bed - again, that's just shit!

I have come to the conclusion that art exists in many forms of entertainment; whether it's paintings, movies, books or video games. But having some games being artistic doesn't mean that games as a whole are 'art', just as not all paintings are art.

Quite deep analysis coming from a guy who just submitted a game that involves blowing the crap outta each other for fun! (I don't class R.P.G. as art, to me it's nothing more than digital entertainment!)

 
Image

Subliminal Dreams. . ., daily gaming news and the home of Mooneyman Studios!
www.mooneyman-studios.webs.com

Muz



Registered
  14/02/2002
Points
  6499

VIP MemberI'm on a BoatI am an April FoolHonored Admin Alumnus
25th July, 2008 at 08:14:14 -

Sex in games is NOT the same as sex in movies. If there's some nudity in a movie, you can always look away. In a game, it's usually interactive, which means you can't avoid it, you have to go through it.

Personally, I'd rather not see it, but it's fine to me if it was disabled by default, but there's a button to turn it on. Unless it fits in well with the game and is handled discreetly (off-screen), like Fallout and I-0.

 
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Image

Disthron



Registered
  08/02/2005
Points
  1101

VIP Member
25th July, 2008 at 19:37:41 -


Originally Posted by Muz
Sex in games is NOT the same as sex in movies. If there's some nudity in a movie, you can always look away. In a game, it's usually interactive, which means you can't avoid it, you have to go through it.



I don't know about that. Some games allow you to peruse a relationship..... or not. If you wont to see the adult content you have to actively go after it. It's not a main part of the game. Also, as you suggested, an option to simply switch it off would be good as well.

 
"Oh, my god! A lightning monster just ripped out this poor woman's eyes, and your mocking her shrubbery!" - The Spoony One

Cecilectomy

noPE

Registered
  19/03/2005
Points
  305

Has Donated, Thank You!VIP MemberWeekly Picture Me This Winner!Cardboard BoxGhostbuster!Pokemon Ball!ComputerBox RedSanta HatSnowman
I am an April Fool
26th July, 2008 at 01:08:33 -

then the point remains. why have it at all? if you wanted the option to have it or not then you can buy or not buy the game. personally if the reason for having any type of obscene material in a movie or video game is purely for the sake of just having in there and doesnt actually contribute to the overall experience, why even have it? saying 'fuck' in a movie every 10 seconds doesnt help the movie. cursing without emotion is pointless, sex without reason is pointless, in media.

 
n/a

Muz



Registered
  14/02/2002
Points
  6499

VIP MemberI'm on a BoatI am an April FoolHonored Admin Alumnus
26th July, 2008 at 01:08:50 -

That's how it should be. But I wouldn't want any kids of mine actively pursuing it either, hence why an AO rating would be appropriate.

 
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Image

-Dark Martin-

The dark is most certainly not your friend

Registered
  05/06/2008
Points
  21

Has Donated, Thank You!KlikCast StarSonic SpeedWii Owner360 Owner
26th July, 2008 at 01:31:42 -

I am against Sex and Nudity in games, it is completly unnessesary and is not required at all in any games, all games can be better without it.

And i think a LOT of games have proven that already.

 
<a href="http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f315/Martin_Bodger/?action=view¤t=signature_stripcopy.png" target="_blank">Image

Ski

TDC is my stress ball

Registered
  13/03/2005
Points
  10130

GOTW WINNER CUP 1!GOTW WINNER CUP 2!GOTW WINNER CUP 3!KlikCast HelperVIP MemberWii OwnerStrawberryPicture Me This Round 28 Winner!PS3 OwnerI am an April Fool
Candy Cane
26th July, 2008 at 01:34:38 -

Martin you mean to say there's no sex in Dark Reality? 1 star out of 5, I think MLICK

 
n/a

-Dark Martin-

The dark is most certainly not your friend

Registered
  05/06/2008
Points
  21

Has Donated, Thank You!KlikCast StarSonic SpeedWii Owner360 Owner
26th July, 2008 at 01:44:34 -

Well duh!

No sexual stuff in that game, just some minor swear words like [Censored!], [Censored!], [Censored!] and [Censored!]

 
<a href="http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f315/Martin_Bodger/?action=view¤t=signature_stripcopy.png" target="_blank">Image

Marko

I like you You like you

Registered
  08/05/2008
Points
  2804

Has Donated, Thank You!Game of the Week WinnerVIP Member360 OwnerDos Rules!Happy FellahCrazy EvilI am an April FoolGingerbread House
26th July, 2008 at 11:13:42 -

No sex in Dark Reality? Well from what i can see from what the game is all about, 5 stars out of 5 from me! Seems like (as the majority of clickers have, i'm sure) you've got your head screwed on properly!

 
Image

Subliminal Dreams. . ., daily gaming news and the home of Mooneyman Studios!
www.mooneyman-studios.webs.com

Disthron



Registered
  08/02/2005
Points
  1101

VIP Member
26th July, 2008 at 14:01:50 -


Originally Posted by Random Cecil
then the point remains. why have it at all? if you wanted the option to have it or not then you can buy or not buy the game. personally if the reason for having any type of obscene material in a movie or video game is purely for the sake of just having in there and doesnt actually contribute to the overall experience, why even have it? saying 'fuck' in a movie every 10 seconds doesnt help the movie. cursing without emotion is pointless, sex without reason is pointless, in media.



Well, let's say that we wern't talking about relationship/sex vs no-relationship/sex. Let's say we were talking about good ending vs evil ending. Why bother allowing the player to turn evil when they could just be the goody-two-shoos good guy? Because there are a wide verity of players and some people might choose to go down that path. That's not to say that one side enhances the narrative/game-play and another side degraids it. I'd say that the inclusion of both, if dune properly, would enhance the game. Because it allows the player to play there way.
Personally, that's a big thing with me. One of the things that really erked me about a lot of games, As speshaly adventure games and Japanese RPGs, is when no matter what you do or witch path you choose the story is, most of the time, set. Fore instance, there is no way to save Aeris in FF7 and in RotH you can't simply forgive Rebeca for lying to you.

I agree with you that swearing every second word is juvenile and having sex for no reason duesn't really contribute anything. But that would be the WRONG way to go about dealing with those things.

 
"Oh, my god! A lightning monster just ripped out this poor woman's eyes, and your mocking her shrubbery!" - The Spoony One

Knudde (Shab)

Administrator
Crazy?

Registered
  31/01/2003
Points
  5119

Has Donated, Thank You!Clickzine StaffKlikCast StarVIP MemberGhostbuster!Dos Rules!I donated an open source project
26th July, 2008 at 21:19:16 -


Originally Posted by Disthron

Originally Posted by Random Cecil
then the point remains. why have it at all? if you wanted the option to have it or not then you can buy or not buy the game. personally if the reason for having any type of obscene material in a movie or video game is purely for the sake of just having in there and doesnt actually contribute to the overall experience, why even have it? saying 'fuck' in a movie every 10 seconds doesnt help the movie. cursing without emotion is pointless, sex without reason is pointless, in media.



Well, let's say that we wern't talking about relationship/sex vs no-relationship/sex. Let's say we were talking about good ending vs evil ending. Why bother allowing the player to turn evil when they could just be the goody-two-shoos good guy? Because there are a wide verity of players and some people might choose to go down that path. That's not to say that one side enhances the narrative/game-play and another side degraids it. I'd say that the inclusion of both, if dune properly, would enhance the game. Because it allows the player to play there way.
Personally, that's a big thing with me. One of the things that really erked me about a lot of games, As speshaly adventure games and Japanese RPGs, is when no matter what you do or witch path you choose the story is, most of the time, set. Fore instance, there is no way to save Aeris in FF7 and in RotH you can't simply forgive Rebeca for lying to you.

I agree with you that swearing every second word is juvenile and having sex for no reason duesn't really contribute anything. But that would be the WRONG way to go about dealing with those things.



OMG Aeris DIES!?

 
Craps, I'm an old man!

-Dark Martin-

The dark is most certainly not your friend

Registered
  05/06/2008
Points
  21

Has Donated, Thank You!KlikCast StarSonic SpeedWii Owner360 Owner
26th July, 2008 at 21:25:57 -

"you've got your head screwed on properly!"

I do?

I always thought Dark Reality was a bit cheesy, but i guess it ain't!

 
<a href="http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f315/Martin_Bodger/?action=view¤t=signature_stripcopy.png" target="_blank">Image

Knudde (Shab)

Administrator
Crazy?

Registered
  31/01/2003
Points
  5119

Has Donated, Thank You!Clickzine StaffKlikCast StarVIP MemberGhostbuster!Dos Rules!I donated an open source project
26th July, 2008 at 21:57:52 -

That depends, does it feature large wheels of cheddar?

 
Craps, I'm an old man!

-Dark Martin-

The dark is most certainly not your friend

Registered
  05/06/2008
Points
  21

Has Donated, Thank You!KlikCast StarSonic SpeedWii Owner360 Owner
26th July, 2008 at 22:12:22 -

* Martin_Bodger flicks through Dark Reality's plans...

.... just one...

 
<a href="http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f315/Martin_Bodger/?action=view¤t=signature_stripcopy.png" target="_blank">Image

Hayo

Stone Goose

Registered
  15/08/2002
Points
  6764

Game of the Week WinnerHas Donated, Thank You!VIP MemberGOTM 3RD PLACE! - APRIL 2009Weekly Picture Me This Round 27 Winner!
27th July, 2008 at 16:39:31 -

I've been kinda away for awhile, can somebody give me an update, like who this Bodger guy is for example?

 
www.hayovanreek.nl

Ski

TDC is my stress ball

Registered
  13/03/2005
Points
  10130

GOTW WINNER CUP 1!GOTW WINNER CUP 2!GOTW WINNER CUP 3!KlikCast HelperVIP MemberWii OwnerStrawberryPicture Me This Round 28 Winner!PS3 OwnerI am an April Fool
Candy Cane
27th July, 2008 at 16:55:31 -

Image


 
n/a

Marko

I like you You like you

Registered
  08/05/2008
Points
  2804

Has Donated, Thank You!Game of the Week WinnerVIP Member360 OwnerDos Rules!Happy FellahCrazy EvilI am an April FoolGingerbread House
27th July, 2008 at 21:32:51 -

The guy's an idiot, but a great idiot that i mean in a good way!

 
Image

Subliminal Dreams. . ., daily gaming news and the home of Mooneyman Studios!
www.mooneyman-studios.webs.com

Scott S

Heavy Metal

Registered
  21/03/2008
Points
  51

Wii Owner
27th July, 2008 at 22:00:23 -

I think theres no excuse for sex or nudity in video games. Whats with the voice clip? Or am i the only one that hears this...

 
Rockin' it.

AndyUK

Mascot Maniac

Registered
  01/08/2002
Points
  14446

Game of the Week WinnerSecond GOTW AwardHas Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
28th July, 2008 at 02:56:52 -

There is little reason to take sex out of all games. What about Dating sims for instance?
Some people like that sort of thing, instead of banning it just... not buy it yourself?

of course that wont stop parents and interfering people in the media/government that think they know a simple answer for everything.

 
.

Cecilectomy

noPE

Registered
  19/03/2005
Points
  305

Has Donated, Thank You!VIP MemberWeekly Picture Me This Winner!Cardboard BoxGhostbuster!Pokemon Ball!ComputerBox RedSanta HatSnowman
I am an April Fool
28th July, 2008 at 06:16:55 -


Originally Posted by Disthron

Originally Posted by Random Cecil
then the point remains. why have it at all? if you wanted the option to have it or not then you can buy or not buy the game. personally if the reason for having any type of obscene material in a movie or video game is purely for the sake of just having in there and doesnt actually contribute to the overall experience, why even have it? saying 'fuck' in a movie every 10 seconds doesnt help the movie. cursing without emotion is pointless, sex without reason is pointless, in media.



Well, let's say that we wern't talking about relationship/sex vs no-relationship/sex. Let's say we were talking about good ending vs evil ending. Why bother allowing the player to turn evil when they could just be the goody-two-shoos good guy? Because there are a wide verity of players and some people might choose to go down that path. That's not to say that one side enhances the narrative/game-play and another side degraids it. I'd say that the inclusion of both, if dune properly, would enhance the game. Because it allows the player to play there way.
Personally, that's a big thing with me. One of the things that really erked me about a lot of games, As speshaly adventure games and Japanese RPGs, is when no matter what you do or witch path you choose the story is, most of the time, set. Fore instance, there is no way to save Aeris in FF7 and in RotH you can't simply forgive Rebeca for lying to you.

I agree with you that swearing every second word is juvenile and having sex for no reason duesn't really contribute anything. But that would be the WRONG way to go about dealing with those things.



thats the thing though. having the choice to do good or evil in a game (fable, that crappy 3d megaman game for ps1, the legend of zelda series, star wars, etc etc) contributes HIGHLY to the gaming experience. if you do evil you cant do certain things, or certain people treat you differently, and in some cases ultimately change the overall ending of the game. but in an already amazing and awesome game such as god of war, they throw in a sex mini game (even though you dont completely see it) and for what? just to replenish your stats? it isnt needed. whatever happened to "stay at inn: xx gold"

 
n/a

Disthron



Registered
  08/02/2005
Points
  1101

VIP Member
28th July, 2008 at 09:22:51 -

Something I think you have to consider is that in our society, though I don't think were that repressed, sex is still taboo where as violence doesn't seem to be. So the hole moral Good Vs Evil thing has been allowed to develop over time. To the point where in some games it is a major selling point. Where as with intimacy has been kept in the dark.

Think back to the early days of gaming, there was no concept of wright or wrong with what you were doing, half the time you couldn't even tell what something was supposed to be. Now you can easily identify innocent victims form bad guys and make a choice between who you wont to side with. It's not in every game but then agen it wouldn't really be appropriate to have it in some games.

I agree that the sex in god of war is unnecessary, but the game itself is just a shallow 3D beat-em-up. I mean it's a fun game but Kratos is basically just James Bond in Ancient Grease with magic instead of gadgets, and way more psychotic.

The reason it didn't add anything to the main game is becouse it was put in as an afterthought. Also, I don't think Kratos is the kind of person who is capable of having a stable relationship with anyone.

 
"Oh, my god! A lightning monster just ripped out this poor woman's eyes, and your mocking her shrubbery!" - The Spoony One

Cecilectomy

noPE

Registered
  19/03/2005
Points
  305

Has Donated, Thank You!VIP MemberWeekly Picture Me This Winner!Cardboard BoxGhostbuster!Pokemon Ball!ComputerBox RedSanta HatSnowman
I am an April Fool
28th July, 2008 at 09:30:34 -

thats my point. obscenity for the sake of obscenity is unnecessary. (ie god of war) but the whole good/evil thing, IN THOSE GAMES, is completely necessary, as the entire game depends on it. thats my point. if it doesnt need to be there, dont. don't try and fix what aint broked (breaking it in the process)

 
n/a

Disthron



Registered
  08/02/2005
Points
  1101

VIP Member
28th July, 2008 at 17:00:58 -


Originally Posted by Random Cecil
thats my point. obscenity for the sake of obscenity is unnecessary. (ie god of war) but the whole good/evil thing, IN THOSE GAMES, is completely necessary, as the entire game depends on it. thats my point. if it doesnt need to be there, dont. don't try and fix what aint broked (breaking it in the process)



Maybe I'm not explaining this very well becouse I can see your point but you don't seem to be able to see mine. What I'm trying to get across is that if relationships, like with any element really, are designed into the game from the get go as a part of the core experience then it will make an impact on game play. Right now I can't actually think of a game where this is dune well, some have tried with varying levels of success. However I don't think that people should just give up on it becouse it's hard.

I was talking to an instructor of mine one time, about 7 years ago. He instructed part time but his main job was as a game designer. Back then he was preaching that games where a crappy medium for storytelling and that stories in games should be scraped altogether. All I can say is that I'm glad that this trend didn't catch on. I know that puzzle and casual games are fun and have there place but that doesn't mean that people should give up on telling a story eather.

 
"Oh, my god! A lightning monster just ripped out this poor woman's eyes, and your mocking her shrubbery!" - The Spoony One

AndyUK

Mascot Maniac

Registered
  01/08/2002
Points
  14446

Game of the Week WinnerSecond GOTW AwardHas Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
28th July, 2008 at 18:30:50 -

Did he have a reason for thinking games are a crappy medium for storytelling?
I'd be amazed if anyone could come up with a good reason why games should not have stories in them...

 
.

Disthron



Registered
  08/02/2005
Points
  1101

VIP Member
28th July, 2008 at 20:47:49 -


Originally Posted by AndyUK
Did he have a reason for thinking games are a crappy medium for storytelling?
I'd be amazed if anyone could come up with a good reason why games should not have stories in them...



Well, it was a long time ago but he seemed to think that stories and games didn't mix becouse one was passive entertainment while the other was interactive. I remember him saying the players wont to play not watch, witch is true. When another student asked him if he had ever picked up a game just becouse the story sounded cool he said never.

One of his main points was that games had tried to have stories in the past and that it didn't work. He thought that people didn't know how to wright a story in an interactive medium and that after trying so long (this was in 2001) only for most of it to be ignored or skipped over. He thought people should just give up on it. I think that's why that talk really sticks out in my mined. He spesificly said "don't bother with story, it's not important." A point on witch I, and others, strongly disagreed.

This guy was working for a company called Half-Brick and at the time they mostly maid Puzzle type games for the GBA. I don't know what there up to now.

 
"Oh, my god! A lightning monster just ripped out this poor woman's eyes, and your mocking her shrubbery!" - The Spoony One

Cecilectomy

noPE

Registered
  19/03/2005
Points
  305

Has Donated, Thank You!VIP MemberWeekly Picture Me This Winner!Cardboard BoxGhostbuster!Pokemon Ball!ComputerBox RedSanta HatSnowman
I am an April Fool
28th July, 2008 at 21:28:37 -

who wouldnt want to be a PART of an epic experience. granted most of the stories are crap, but when you have some truly epic stories, its a grand experience when you actually get to advance the story yourself. what an ignorant game designer.

 
n/a

Marko

I like you You like you

Registered
  08/05/2008
Points
  2804

Has Donated, Thank You!Game of the Week WinnerVIP Member360 OwnerDos Rules!Happy FellahCrazy EvilI am an April FoolGingerbread House
28th July, 2008 at 23:27:06 -

I've got a good reason why (commercial) games should scrap storylines sometimes - when their limited budget does not allow both talented coders/designers and talented writers at the same time. If one must be chosen over the other, i think they'd be best off scraping the story and concentrate on the actual game! This isn't a choice that has to be made often though.

 
Image

Subliminal Dreams. . ., daily gaming news and the home of Mooneyman Studios!
www.mooneyman-studios.webs.com

AndyUK

Mascot Maniac

Registered
  01/08/2002
Points
  14446

Game of the Week WinnerSecond GOTW AwardHas Donated, Thank You!VIP Member
29th July, 2008 at 03:20:26 -


Originally Posted by Disthron

Originally Posted by AndyUK
Did he have a reason for thinking games are a crappy medium for storytelling?
I'd be amazed if anyone could come up with a good reason why games should not have stories in them...



Well, it was a long time ago but he seemed to think that stories and games didn't mix becouse one was passive entertainment while the other was interactive. I remember him saying the players wont to play not watch, witch is true. When another student asked him if he had ever picked up a game just becouse the story sounded cool he said never.

One of his main points was that games had tried to have stories in the past and that it didn't work. He thought that people didn't know how to wright a story in an interactive medium and that after trying so long (this was in 2001) only for most of it to be ignored or skipped over. He thought people should just give up on it. I think that's why that talk really sticks out in my mined. He spesificly said "don't bother with story, it's not important." A point on witch I, and others, strongly disagreed.

This guy was working for a company called Half-Brick and at the time they mostly maid Puzzle type games for the GBA. I don't know what there up to now.



Hideo Kojima disagrees

 
.

JustinC



Registered
  02/04/2006
Points
  1517

GOTM - MAY 2009 - 3RD PLACE!
29th July, 2008 at 04:28:22 -

If there were ever a game to convince me that games and stories do not mix it would be Assassin's creed. The perfect example of why you really need the right group of people to make it work. That game fit every nerd game story cliche in the book. Secret Society of assassins, check. Pointless matrix type futuristic theme, check. Random overexplanation of dna memories-whoknowswhat, check. On top of that you couldn't skip it.

 
Image

Disthron



Registered
  08/02/2005
Points
  1101

VIP Member
29th July, 2008 at 09:30:30 -


Originally Posted by Mark Radon
I've got a good reason why (commercial) games should scrap storylines sometimes - when their limited budget does not allow both talented coders/designers and talented writers at the same time. If one must be chosen over the other, i think they'd be best off scraping the story and concentrate on the actual game! This isn't a choice that has to be made often though.



I agree that not all games need or should have a story, I'm looking at you Need for Speed!! And it's the same with intimacy and sex. Not all games need it not all games should have it but that doesn't mean that we should give up on it.

 
"Oh, my god! A lightning monster just ripped out this poor woman's eyes, and your mocking her shrubbery!" - The Spoony One

Marko

I like you You like you

Registered
  08/05/2008
Points
  2804

Has Donated, Thank You!Game of the Week WinnerVIP Member360 OwnerDos Rules!Happy FellahCrazy EvilI am an April FoolGingerbread House
29th July, 2008 at 10:25:32 -

I agree with the above!

 
Image

Subliminal Dreams. . ., daily gaming news and the home of Mooneyman Studios!
www.mooneyman-studios.webs.com

tomspal



Registered
  06/11/2008
Points
  41
26th November, 2008 at 05:20:23 -

this is making me have a stiffy

 
im...

TOM

Scott S

Heavy Metal

Registered
  21/03/2008
Points
  51

Wii Owner
26th November, 2008 at 05:23:35 -

Don't revive dead topics, its just annoying. And for gods sake don't act so immature.

 
Rockin' it.

Ski

TDC is my stress ball

Registered
  13/03/2005
Points
  10130

GOTW WINNER CUP 1!GOTW WINNER CUP 2!GOTW WINNER CUP 3!KlikCast HelperVIP MemberWii OwnerStrawberryPicture Me This Round 28 Winner!PS3 OwnerI am an April Fool
Candy Cane
26th November, 2008 at 05:30:19 -

Wow what an idiot he is...

 
n/a

tomspal



Registered
  06/11/2008
Points
  41
26th November, 2008 at 07:44:42 -

this is dumb, never coming to this topic again.

 
im...

TOM

Phredreeke

Don't listen to this idiot

Registered
  03/08/2002
Points
  4504

You've Been Circy'd!VIP MemberPS3 Owner
26th November, 2008 at 08:38:13 -

Takes one to know one

 
- Ok, you must admit that was the most creative cussing this site have ever seen -

Make some more box arts damnit!
http://create-games.com/forum_post.asp?id=285363

Ski

TDC is my stress ball

Registered
  13/03/2005
Points
  10130

GOTW WINNER CUP 1!GOTW WINNER CUP 2!GOTW WINNER CUP 3!KlikCast HelperVIP MemberWii OwnerStrawberryPicture Me This Round 28 Winner!PS3 OwnerI am an April Fool
Candy Cane
26th November, 2008 at 13:30:19 -

The whole community are idiots then, for knowing you?

 
n/a

Flava



Registered
  30/07/2002
Points
  684

Has Donated, Thank You!Code MonkeyVIP MemberThe Cake is a LieThe Spinster
26th November, 2008 at 13:41:47 -

Administrative Message: This topic has been locked.

 
This is a signature. Have this one on me.
This thread has been locked by an administrator



 



Advertisement

Worth A Click