In a game, say a platformer, what is the perfect boss?
Is it very hard, has it got lots of attacks, is it a long one or a short one, ect, ect...
I want to know because I am continuing Paul the Penguin (Download the old demo in my profile) and I've just finished making a boss, so I starting thinking about bosses in games. I'm begaining to rambel so start the topic!
the best boss i ever made was highhair in fishhead 2, I think it was good because it was pretty hard to beat the first time, and he gets harder when you hit him a couple of times.
so for a good boss I think the player has to find out how to hurt the boss, and the boss attacks have to get tougher everytime you hit him.
i love fighting sephiroth in FF7 and kefka in FF6. those bosses wasn't just one, it was split in serveral battles. so the perfect boss much be:
. sometimes a puzzle (like in Fishhead 2 when you fight Tomatoman, you click the switch and the fan comes on, thats an example)
. The battle must have 2 or more parts. not just one fight.
. Final boss much be big, not some stickman. ff7 had sephiroth as normal and god, half-life had a big mind demon for example.
hope that has helped
- Make the boss hard, but not too hard, and make it challenging, so that, instead of just blasting away at it every 5 minutes, make it so that it can only be harmed in a certain way, say like shooting a fuse to make it light, wich blows something up, wich makes rocks drop on the boss or something.
- Make it so that it has special attacks, that do lots of dmage to you, or affect you in some way eg. when the boss has less that 10% health, make it do a super blast wich gives you 10% of your health, and poisons you or something.
- Dont make the battle too short, but dont make it too long either... because people will become bored of the game quickly
- Make surroundings that provide protection for you, but make it so they are destroyed if they tke too much damage
Also, like Spiderhead said, make it so that it is more than one thing... say like a skeleton, where you have to destory all body parts (arms legs body head) to win the battle, and make each part have an individual attack, or a group attack (e.g double hand slap, or double kick etc..)
- Create some enemies to help out the boss, like the Queen Ant in Worm Wars 1. Even better, make it so you can only hurt the boss once you beat the guys off, like that fighter boss in FF6 which has some bears blocking your attacks on him.
- Give the bosses an "extreme" or "suicide" attack he uses when he gets too low on health, like the Mom Bomb in FF4. It should make it so that players try to get their health above a certain value to survive or be cunning enough to run for protection before the blast hits the player.
- Make everything go against the player (except backdrops and the surrounding protection), like a flood happening just when you are fighting in a ship, or airstrikes sowing death from above in a war land. It's all up to you.
Basic Boss Needs:
- Challenging, but Beatable
- Normal + Special attacks
- Bigger, Stronger & Faster then Normal Enemies.
- A weakness
The Best Boss:
- Very Challenging
- Advaced AI, one that if you attack them many
times with the same move, it will begin
to defend that move, and will learn off you.
- Progressively harder, after you get a few
Attacks in, it will Pull out New moves,
Become faster e.t.c
- An attack Pattern, to make it even better
Have the Boss give off some kind of Hint
to let you know hes going to give an Attack
maybe even something such as
1 Blink = Attack 1
2 Blinks = Attack 2
3 Blinks = Special Attack
- A weak spot is good,e.g like a scorpion
who can only be hit in the Eye, and the
rest of its body is protected, and maybe
it will protect its eyes sometimes by
closing its eyes for a small period.
This is what makes a Perfect Boss for me, an Example of this is Zelda: Wind Waker, and Zelda: OOT. each boss had
a weakness, Challenging, Many Attacks e.t.c