So I was thinking of ways to make lasers without fastloops or scaling and came up with this:
where the laser beam animation has 16 frames each frame adding 20 pixels.
Looks so-so but for now it does the job.
- Laser beam! (+ upgrade)
- Plasma gun (+ upgrade)
- 2 upgrades to initial weapon
- Regenerating health based on shield amount
- Obstacle only stage, with 3x speedup.
- Z Order tweaks
- Stars (can be disabled to minimise object count)
- Player and enemy sprites 3D effect
I came up with a simple formula that changes the animation frame based on an object's location on screen that needs only 15 frames per object (per layer). Now it looks much more 3D-like.
- Actual weapon/powerup pickups
- Multiple lives
and then on to the big one: Enemies and AI!
More screenshots to come.